Paperless caching for dummies

OK, I'm tryin to go paperless, and I'm part way there, but need help over the final hump.

I have a Palm Tungsten E2 with an SD card slot, a Garmen eTrex Legend, and a Dell Laptop running Windows Vista, which also has an SD card slot.

I have Cachemate on the Palm, which I installed prior to getting my new laptop with Vista. I have GSAK on the laptop. I have managed to create my first Pocket Query file and get those caches loaded into cachemate.

I'm stuck at getting caches from the laptop GSAK into the Palm. I got them into a PDB file, but was unable to get them into cachemate via the SD Card. I copied them to the SD card, but can't figure out how to get them into cachemate.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Is there a PAPERLESS CACHING FOR DUMMIES that gives a step by step as to how to do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm stuck at getting caches from the laptop GSAK into the Palm. I got them into a PDB file, but was unable to get them into cachemate via the SD Card. I copied them to the SD card, but can't figure out how to get them into cachemate.

HotSync the pdb file to the Palm itself instead of the SD card and try again. If this helps, fine and good luck, if not let me know

Regards

Tom

Thanks for the tips. I have over time been checking through the GSAK forums reading the FAQ's and such. I just hate having to spend time to learn it. Ive gotten by without it but recently i stumbled upon someones stats and the layout and format and numbers were really cool. (I like charts and stuff.) It was way better than anything i have seen from INATN. Thats my sole reason for wanting to use it.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Is there a PAPERLESS CACHING FOR DUMMIES that gives a step by step as to how to do this?

Did you copy it to the right folder on the SD card? It should be in \Palm\Launcher.

Then in CacheMate, tap on CacheMate=>Options=>Rescan Mem Card. You may have to restart CacheMate (start another app, the CM again).

Thanks for the tips. I have over time been checking through the GSAK forums reading the FAQ's and such. I just hate having to spend time to learn it. Ive gotten by without it but recently i stumbled upon someones stats and the layout and format and numbers were really cool. (I like charts and stuff.) It was way better than anything i have seen from INATN. Thats my sole reason for wanting to use it.

Then you probably want this stats macro.

Did you copy it to the right folder on the SD card? It should be in \Palm\Launcher.

Then in CacheMate, tap on CacheMate=>Options=>Rescan Mem Card. You may have to restart CacheMate (start another app, the CM again).

OK, I moved it to this folder on the card and restarted, but still nothing.

SOmeone recommended HotSyncing the pdb file to the Palm itself instead of the SD card and try again. I can't do it this way due to issues between the Palm INstaller and Windows Vista.

I downloaded a program called Pilot Install and use that instead of my Palm Desktop to get the .pdb files on my Palm M500. You can choose whether to put the .pdb file on the PDA or on the card. I'm not sure it works on Vista, but it works most of the time on this DELL laptop running WinXP Media Edition, which has problems with the Palm software . . . :anicute:

I downloaded a program called Pilot Install and use that instead of my Palm Desktop to get the .pdb files on my Palm M500. You can choose whether to put the .pdb file on the PDA or on the card. I'm not sure it works on Vista, but it works most of the time on this DELL laptop running WinXP Media Edition, which has problems with the Palm software . . . :anicute:
You can load .pdb files with GSAK too.

FWIW...the op said he's running Vista. As far as I know you cannot hot sync. It's a Vista compatability thing, or a lack thereof. Check out the Palm website for the most current info.

Sorry, don't have time to do more on this topic but our caching friends just upgraded to Vista. They have a Palm Tungsten E2 (as do I) and hot sync all the time, just like before they upgraded.

I agree that checking out the Palm website may help. Good luck.

So I read a few of these paperless forum posts, downloaded Cachemate, the converter, everything. I unzip it all and I am ready to go. I open the converter, a window pops open with my caches, downloaded with EasyGPS, etc. Opens in Cachemate in my PDA. Works like a charm.....the test run.

NOW, though, when I try to download other caches into my Palm Tungsten E, the cache loads into the CM file converter, but when I highlight it for export, it will not show up in the SAVE AS window. The first, successful test download shows up, but none others.

I know I should have explicitly written down my steps, but it seemd so easy at first.

;)

Any ideas from you Cachemate mavens?

So I read a few of these paperless forum posts, downloaded Cachemate, the converter, everything. I unzip it all and I am ready to go. I open the converter, a window pops open with my caches, downloaded with EasyGPS, etc. Opens in Cachemate in my PDA. Works like a charm.....the test run.

NOW, though, when I try to download other caches into my Palm Tungsten E, the cache loads into the CM file converter, but when I highlight it for export, it will not show up in the SAVE AS window. The first, successful test download shows up, but none others.

I know I should have explicitly written down my steps, but it seemd so easy at first.

;)

I am no pro - so maybe this will help or more likely you will think i am nuts. What i do in CMconvert is highlight all the caches and click FILE > Export PDB then it saves under a file name and asks for the palm name and whey i hot sync it loads them up.

I hope this helps. I know it is so frustrating figuring this stuff out...

;)

I am no pro - so maybe this will help or more likely you will think i am nuts. What i do in CMconvert is highlight all the caches and click FILE > Export PDB then it saves under a file name and asks for the palm name and whey i hot sync it loads them up.

I hope this helps. I know it is so frustrating figuring this stuff out...

Exactly the problem I am having. I can't get it to appear in the save window once I highlight it in the converter window and choose EXPORT..

Maybe I should try a different approach or different combination of software, like GPS Spinner?

HotSync the pdb file to the Palm itself instead of the SD card and try again. If this helps, fine and good luck, if not let me know

Regards

Tom