Mapquest maps onto PDA ?

cgmoyer

Could you turn the Mapquest map into an image and load it onto the PDA that way? I'm thinking like using Print Screen and then a graphics program to edit and resize it. Would that work?

Hmm, yeah I could definately do that. Would have to goof around to get it a decent size that would be legible. Thanks for the tip ;)

I do this all the time.

I have GSAK, which makes it a little easier. Once GSAK is running, press CTRL-SHIFT-F10 and a copy of the screen will be sent to your desktop.

The, drag the image to your PDA

If you simply look at the image on your PDA, it will be too small to be of use. I don't know if all PDAs work the same way (I have a Palm Zire Z72), but I can zoom any image once or twice. At twice zoom, you have to scroll the image around but it looks essentially like the screen image. You can do this with satellite views too. Very helpful.

Here is an example of a screen shot using GSAK. Hope this helps.

5232007103351.png

I know this is specific to mapquest maps, but I've found a way to do this in Google earth also. In GE, you can save the current screen as a jpg and then you can load that to your PDA. I've ben loading gpx files to GE, plotting them all out, waiting for the roads to load and all the overhead stuff, and then saving the screen shot and loading it to my Palm TX. I made sure to have all the text on the screen set to large so I can actually read it. It's helped me to see where caches are in relation to what I have in Cachemate. GE is for the most part free, but requires a pretty good video card (so it seems). It lags on my home desktop but I have no issues using it on an older laptop. You can make the area very broad (and the cache text looks smaller) or you can have many smaller images more zoomed in.