Caches in Seattle/Eastside with short hikes?

BethMartin

Can some WA geocachers help me compile a list of caches to do this summer? Do you have any particularly memorable ones that would be good to do with kids?

I have an almost-6 year old and a 2.5 year old. They can do about 3 miles or so. For now, I've been taking the little one out while his sister is in school, but it's hard to judge what each geocache will be like sometimes. I keep thinking I've found one to do that might give us a little hike, only to show up and find the cache right off the road. I've got my backpack all packed, a toddler ready to roam, and then there's nowhere to go! Very frustrating.

I'm in a moms group, and I'm hoping to organize a weekly geocaching trip with some other moms and their kids. I'd like to stick to the Eastside, but a little bit of a drive is okay. Caches where the roundtrip is about 2-3 miles, and it is a regular (not micro) cache. Multis are good if they're within that 2-3 mile range.

Any Ideas? I'd like to find about 10 good caches that fit that description. THANKS!!!!! :P

Hello, I am a mom to a five year old daughter and geocacher. I don't have many ideas for you for hikes in your parameters except for some on Tiger Mountain (Around Round Lake, acheived I know, but there are some others in that same area) HOWEVER, I would love to touch base with you regarding a moms group hike or series of hikes. I love to hike and my daughter loves to be in the woods, but work was busy last summer, in addition to that "incident" last spring with the grown mom and daughter, we didn't get out as much as we would have liked. I want to make it a priority this year, and was actually about to post a personal ad on the forums (30 something mother and geocacher of one seeking other like minded mothers or care providers..you get the picture). I am in Tukwila, but willing to go to the Eastside.

Sarah

WATreasureHunters

Not necessarily caches, but here are a couple of areas that have several caches and would be good roaming areas.

The first place I thought of was the Redmond Watershed Park. Here is a link to a cache that is in there Beavers - Pieces of the Puzzle #1 . There are several other caches in the area and a couple different parking locations that can be used.

I also thought of Lord Hill, but that is probably a little too far north.

One other possibility is the Kirkland Watershed. Here is a link to one of the caches in that park, Watershed Park - Far Corner . This park is not as big, more of a long walk.

One tactic I used recently with my four year old is to have swag with me that I knew she would like to have. This works out well as I was with a group, I handed this out before we started and whoever found the cache quickly placed this swag before she checked it out, it kept her interest and kept her going almost the entire way.

I have a 4-year-old I've been taking on some hikes/geocaching adventures. Here are some suggestions, though please do some follow-up research to make sure they're something you'd like. Oh, and some of them are caches I've placed, so please forgive the self-advertising.

- Asahel Curtis Cache (GCWNEB) - nice, scenic, flat trail with huge trees.

- Lookout Below (GCVAPH) - very nice trail in Twin Falls State Park.

- It's a Tradition (GCNQY4) - flat trail around Tradition Lake...other caches in the area as well.

- Reflections on Gold Creek Pond (GCGZDX) - nice, flat trail around a lake.

- Cache at Lodge Lake (GCYCGF) - maybe a bit too long, but a nice hike.

- Beaver Lake Park (GCW0X1) - not really hiking, but a nice park and good, kid-friendly trails.

Hope that helps, have fun!

Josh

Forty-n-Eight

I'll be watching this thread, as well. When preschool lets out, my preschooler and I would like to venture a little farther afield (we're in Seattle proper). If anyone has good suggestions for Edmonds/Woodinville and areas not too far north, I'd be interested in hearing about those, too.

Edited to add: if you make it over here, there are several (large) caches in Magnuson Park, Discovery Park, Seward Park and the Arboretum that make for nice tours through those parks.

Edited by SeattleSun

Thanks for the ideas! Takin' notes...keep 'em coming!

Sarah, the moms group I'm in is Eastside Mothers & More

http://www.eastsidemothersandmore.org

They have a playgroup called Toddler Tracks which takes the little ones out rain or shine on tuesdays. But for the summer, I wanted to start another playgroup that had a little bit of a longer trek for the bigger kids. That's my plan anyway. I will definitely keep you in mind for some company sometime.