IPAQ Help

I had to hard reset my IPAQ. I have tried to restore but Activesync keep on telling me the backup file was created from a "different type of device" whatever that means. Only this one device has ever been connected to this computer and it is the right backup file. Why won't it restore? What can I do about it? I have restored without problems before.

[Now solved - apparently the idiot programmers at the great Microsoft don't know the meaning of "Restore". Any change in the timezone setting or nationality settings means that Activesync thinks it is a different device! Why do PPCs make everything more complex than it needs to be?]

Edited by Learned Gerbil

If it's just a case of reinstalling software you should be able to use the Add/Remove programs tab on Activesync.

Have you renamed Ipaq exactly the same as it was before? if not, it may be reading it as a new device. (start/settings/system/about/device id) .. This may also include the description

It happened to my last Ipaq a few years ago, and each time you hard reboot it assigns a sequential name - so Activesync thinks it's a different machine.....

I smiled at your discovery of the region thing messing up the restore - a wonderful bit of forward planning that is....

I have only had to hard reset my Ipaq when the Bluetooth has gone pear-shaped.

The restore function has never been effective in bringing BT back to life so I've always simply "rebuilt" the thing from scratch. I can do it in a couple of hours now...

Had a few random hard resets - on turning the thing on, found the screen setup confronting me - great start to the day that is!

...Why do PPCs make everything more complex than it needs to be?]

Look to the Emerald Empire for the answers to these questions and more.

Hell My copy of Vista doesn't work right, and on top of that they quit using Active Sync. I can't even find where to tell "Mobile Device Manager" what kinds of things I'd like to sync. All I know is that it's not doing it.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I now have vista and the new and improved active sink just did not work! but I found a patch on the www and now it works well, but then all my other program's needed patches? including my backup drive at least it looks nice :laughing: I have a discontinued 3700 series HP and if i switch between MM and sonar it sometimes locks up and, i have only had to do a full reset once luckly I had backed up to the sd card.

I now have vista and the new and improved active sink just did not work! but I found a patch on the www and now it works well,..........<snip>

Please share this patch with the rest of us!!

I "upgraded" to Vista a week or so ago and among other niggles I can't now Synch with my Ipaq 4150. I can see see it fine in Explorer and transfer files but it won't synch. I've downlodaed the WMDC from Microsoft but still no joy :laughing:

On my Active sync when you connect a clean or a new device it asks what sort of partnership you want to set up. Full (I forget the exact term)

or Guest for file transfer and restoring backups to clean devices

But that is the point - it doesn't work like that. Most non-MS devices will simply overwrite the device with the backup to put things back as they were, but MS expect you to manually change certain settings, including region and time zone to the same as the backup file or it unhelpfully claims you are trying to restore to a different device, which of course you are not.

I knew I shouldn't have talked about my Ipaq on the forum!

Out caching today, got the "Welcome" screen displayed on switching on. Yep! My Ipaq has reset itself.

Back home, I connected and had the usual faff with trying to resync with the existing folders - first time, deleted the partnership and made the connection - all synced normally.

After all was done - all my Bluetooth bits steadfastly refused to be discovered by the newly restored Ipaq. All the software runs, everything is fine - except my BT earpieces (3 off) and GPS units are ignored by the Ipaq.

I have mess about for hours (again) trying to get everything working but it looks like a hard reset and re-build is going to be the order of the day tomorrow....

...Life was so much easier on the old Palm IIIxe, even if the batteries fell out you just had to plug it into the PC and it was immediately re-generated like new again. I even cloned a new replacement Palm into my current one by simply deleting the Mirror note...

Bill Gates and Hp have still got a long way to go...

Edited by Sue and Bernie

Did a hard reset and restore twice with the same results - the software all came back fine but bluetooth didn't!

Did a third hard reset and as soon as the Ipaq booted up, I easily paired and used all the BT gubbings I use. Of course, if I do a restore at this point, the BT goes west again (did try that option too).

I spent a couple of hours re-installing everything, I've actually listed everything now so that I can do things quickly without missing anything out...

As Blackadder said succinctly "B----r"!