tick-talk tick-talk tick-talk

Permethrin does work, at least for me that is. Also excellent for keeping Chigrers off too. But what I use may seem a little harsh for some of you folks. I go to my local feed store and buy the kind they use on cattle. Just dulute it down with water like the directions say (I think it's something like 19 to 1) then put it in a spray bottle and spray your clothes with it.

I looked at some of that today (going camping later) and every kind I saw said not safe to use on humans.

made me think a few bites might be less harmful.

Insect borne disease can be debilitating and sometimes fatal. Permethrin is safe used as directed. You spray it on your clothing and let it dry before wearing.

anyone have any experience with "natural" repellents?

I was looking for fly repellent in the pet department at walmart, and found a spray with peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, lemon grass oil, clove oil, thyme oil which supposedly repels ticks and mosquitos. Some stuff on the internets say it's effective, some say it's not. I figure it's worth a shot anyway

From the studies I've seen some are not effective and some are effective for a very short time, meaning you would have to re-apply every hour or so.

The ideal method if ticks are a problem is to treat your clothing with permethrin and your skin with DEET.

Wear light colored clothing so you can spot them easily and if you don't mind the high geek look factor, tuck your pants into your socks.

Also don't forget a full body tick check once you get home. This works best if you can get Angelina Jolie to do it for you.

The couple people I have talked to locally that tried to use exclusively natural repellent feel they had decent success in most light to moderate situations, but in areas where ticks or mosquitoes were thicker they said there is no question the people with the DEET / Permethrin did much better.

I found one tick embedded behind my right ear (eeeeeeeww!) a couple of months ago which was odd considering it was very cold at that time and I hadn't been anywhere to pick one up in about 2 weeks. I hope that thing wasn't strolling around on me for those 2 weeks hunting for prime snacking grounds. Found another one a week or so ago walking on my arm. But ever since the weather warmed up and I've been thrashing around in the woods, I'm paranoid that I have one somewhere and don't know it. :o

Also don't forget a full body tick check once you get home.

And don't forget a thourough check of your clothing. My SIL just tossed all the kids clothes in the hamper before checking them. We later found 4 or 5 ticks crawling around by the hamper.

I'll be trying a tick spray I've heard about from Sawyer (Duranon Permethrin ), Cabelas sells it and Walmart even has a similar brand. While they call it a repellent it's really an insecticide, it kills the ticks. You spray it on your clothes (before putting them on) and it remains effective for several weeks, even with washing. One spray can treats one set of cloths. We'll see. It has a customer rating at Cabela's of 4.6 out of 5.