New feature of adding custom private notes to any geocache

*Martin*

Hello

I think it would be great if it was possible to add custom private notes to any geocache. For example if I solve some puzzle cache then I would like to note the results to the related cache for my private needs. One of the data possible to note would be GPS coordinates. These coordinates would be then used in other geocaching.com areas (privately) - eg. pocket queries, find nearby caches, they would be visible in the maps... What do you think? :cool:

Hello

I think it would be great if it was possible to add custom private notes to any geocache. For example if I solve some puzzle cache then I would like to note the results to the related cache for my private needs. One of the data possible to note would be GPS coordinates. These coordinates would be then used in other geocaching.com areas (privately) - eg. pocket queries, find nearby caches, they would be visible in the maps... What do you think? :cool:

You Can - Just bookmark it. It has notes section right there for that purpose.......

You Can - Just bookmark it. It has notes section right there for that purpose.......

But then you'd need a single bookmark for each of the caches you want add a note to. A good idea, but not particularly efficient. :(

I think it's a great idea - I have a series of caches each containing a code. If I had this feature I could store the info with each cache on the website, rather than having to keep an easily losable excel spreadsheet! :cool:

Edited by housefamily

GSAK is some external application for windows users. I use only Linux. Anyway I think that such feature integrated to geocaching.com would be great and don't think it would require too much effort to implement :cool:.

Is there any opinion poll for users to vote for features they want most?

I have a (hidden) bookmark called "Solved Puzzle coordinates." When I figure one out, I bookmark it and put in my notes. When I revisit the page for a puzzle I've solved, the link to the bookmark is right there on the page.

Oh! That's a fantastic idea. I have one puzzle that I solved several months ago and was in a panic the other day because I thought I had lost the one and only sheet of paper where I had written the solution. Heading to that cache page right now.... MJ

Martin, you say Linux will only run under Windows, but my husband has it on his Linux machine. If you want it (and you should!) go over to the GSAK forums and ask around. I can attest that getting it to work took some swearing (possibly optional?) but it will run on a Linux platform.

Martin, you say Linux will only run under Windows, but my husband has it on his Linux machine. If you want it (and you should!) go over to the GSAK forums and ask around. I can attest that getting it to work took some swearing (possibly optional?) but it will run on a Linux platform.

I assume you mean GSAK running under Windows.

Wine allows you to run Windows apps under Linux. Here's a good place to go ask questions about it, as this is really off-topic for this thread.

Just like FamilyDNA, I use non-public bookmark lists to keep my puzzle caches organized. I actually use two lists.

List #1 - Any puzzle cache in my area that I'm aware of that I want to solve. If I figure out some of the puzzle I can simply add that information to that cache's listing and then pick up there when I have time.

List #2 - Solved puzzles. Once I solve a puzzle I add it to my Solved Puzzles list along with all of my "work" and the actual coordinates to the cache. After finding a puzzle cache I edit the listing and put FOUND in front of the cache name. This allows me to keep a record of the puzzle caches I find and if I ever want to return to a puzzle cache (say to grab a cool geocoin or TB) I don't have to waste time solving the puzzle again. I just go to the cache page and click the bookmark link and I have the details. It's simple and it already exists. No need to reinvent the wheel.

You could even separate solved puzzles and found puzzles furthering the organization.

Jared of AZBliss02