Garmin Etrex Vista

msnden

That is very fine and capable little unit. it will help you find caches easily.

There are certainly more advanced and feature filled units out there but that is all you really need to get to a cache.

Lots easier to download the waypoints into the unit via the serial connection but also easy enough to just type thm in by hand. Simply "mark" your current location and then edit the numbers to match where you want to go and then "goto" it.

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista, which I use when hiking and fishing and etc. I have just discoverd

geocaching, (looks like a lot of fun) is the unit I have OK or should I upgrade and if so what should I be looking at? Thanks, Msn

I've been using a Vista for a couple of years now, and it works great for me. If you feel like spending money on something, I recommend getting a Premium Membership.

First, welcome to the world of geocaching. It is either addictive or it isnt.

We have been using the VISTA CX for about 12 mths now, and It is certainly a capable little unit.

We have several mounts which enables the use on our motorcycle, bicycle, in the car, walking etc etc. It is an awesome all round'er and has many good features.

The only known issues are with the rubber surround that has the butons (such as the power button, and zoom buttons), and it sometimes doesnt stick properly, especially in the heat and humidity of Australia.

Garmin is aware of this problem and will fix it under warranty if you can wait 2-3 weeks.

I got sick and tired of waiting and cotacted garmin, they posted me a box which contained 2 spare rubbers and adhesive strips :mad: , and told me that they would uphold my warranty providing I followed their instructions which they also emailed to me.

Now if only they would do a software update which would add the ability to save extra waypoints (and with a larger character capacity for the waypoints info) to the transflash/micro SD card because 500 just isnt enough.

It would be great to be able to store text such as the cache hint.

Rant over! Enjoy!

I've used a Vista since '01 and have hid many a cache with it. Also have tracked a lot of trails for the USFS using this tiny lil marvel. I'ts held together with electical tape and some super glue but still works fine. When it comes time for a new one I may just stay with this one versus going with all the bells and whistles.

Now if only they would do a software update which would add the ability to save extra waypoints (and with a larger character capacity for the waypoints info) to the transflash/micro SD card because 500 just isnt enough.

It would be great to be able to store text such as the cache hint.

Re: 500 waypoint limit - You should be able to create extra waypoints by manner of POIs; Use a POI Loader.

Re: text storage - don't you have a NOTE section when you open a waypoint? My 60cs does and I thought all subsequent handhelds like the "C"s and "Cx"s did as well. If you have a NOTE section, it will hold 30 characters. I use EasyGPS to download the hint or any other comment into this section.

I waiting delivery of a new Venture Cx and it better have this NOTE section or I'm sending it back ;) .

I use the eTrex Vista (the grayscale version, no C or cx versions), and it is great for geocaching. The electronic compass is a real timesaver, especially when in areas where you can't move too fast and it's a micro cache. Several times now, even when the "accuracy" read as 15' or 20', it led me right to the cache, no searching required. When it said I was 3 feet from the cache, there it was! Maybe luck, I don't know.

I still have my Etrex Vista as well. I've dropped it so many times the screen goes blank. But, the unit remains on; I just have to twist the GPS a bit and it screen re-appears. It great as a back up but the processor is snail slow (I have MetroGuide installed) compared to the 60cs' and x'.

msnden, we're here for you.