Blue Legend (not Cx) <> MapSource

I have the great starter-geocacher GPSr, the Garmin Legend. It's the little blue one with the B&W display. I would like to keep it and use the street maps from MapSource North America V8. I'm trying to hold off getting the color Legend Cx, or similar GPSr.

Does anyone have experience using MapSource with the B&W Legend? How well do they work together?

Even if I get the Legend Cx later (~$400), I can still use the same mapping software on the new unit, right?

Frank

Edited by KG GeoCachers

Are you talking about the Mapsource City Navigator Version 8 maps? If so, I'm not sure the Legend has enough memory for those maps to be very useful. You can put a large area of Topo maps on that GPSr, but some of the map segments are larger than the 8 MB of memory that GPSr has . . . :anicute:

Also, the Venture Cx is available for only $180 . . . and it is basically the Legend Cx without the data card and w/o the USB cable, one of which you might already own.

i own 2 blue legends and topo works good and so dose metroguide. but to me the legend is best with topo. and i would not put metroguide on it because you cant auto route with it. i have a 60cs and cx and that's great for auto routing id Waite till you upgraded

good luck

Edited by RoosterBoy

MetroGuide North America will work fine on the old Legend blue. The best part about MetroGuide is that it is not locked so it can be transferred to another GPSr later.

I do not think any City Navigator will work on the original Legend blue. Those maps would be way too large anyway even if you used the NT version.

I just got a Venture Cx and it is great. Found it new on ebay for 180. Very good price and just about what I paid for the blue Legend over 3 years ago. No need to buy the more expensive Legend or Vista Cx. The Legend Cx is just a Venture Cx that is a different color and comes with the USB cable and a rather worthless 64mb microSD card.

I was also lucky that I got the low end StreetPilot C320 that came with City Navigator NT 8 on DVD. I was able to get a second free unlock code for that software and was able to use that on the Venture Cx. The StreetPilots that come preloaded and have no maps on DVD don't get a 2nd unlock code.

Now I can start Geocaching soon. Did a few geocaches several years ago, got sick, forgot about this fun activity and now plan to start again.

Edited by Tersanyus