Cache saturation

radiomom

I have a really great spot in mind for a cache, but it is technically too close to an existing cache. The thing is, there's a big drainage ditch in between the two locations. I mean *really* big - needs a bridge. Even if you clamber down one side and up the other you still have to cross water in the middle. And you have to go at least half a mile to find a place to cross.

Does cache saturation apply in such a case?

Another spot is too close to a cache that I strongly suspect is defunct. Plenty of active caches within a mile or so, but this one hasn't been found since October, and the owner doesn't respond.

Does cache saturation still apply?

Mr. RadioMom

Davis, CA

I have a really great spot in mind for a cache, but it is technically too close to an existing cache. The thing is, there's a big drainage ditch in between the two locations. I mean *really* big - needs a bridge. Even if you clamber down one side and up the other you still have to cross water in the middle. And you have to go at least half a mile to find a place to cross.

Most likely the rule would still apply in this case. Ask your local reviewer.

Another spot is too close to a cache that I strongly suspect is defunct. Plenty of active caches within a mile or so, but this one hasn't been found since October, and the owner doesn't respond.

If the cache is indeed missing and the owner no longer active (hasn't logged on in months) you could alert a reviewer or post a "needs archived" in the hopes of freeing up the spot.

As FamilyDNA said, talk to your reviewer. I know here, if there is a physical barrier in place, our reviewers ask for a picture of the barrier. In many cases, the caches have been approved because you physically cannot get from one to the other.

Exceptions have been granted for physical barriers but are not gauranteed. Send a couple of pictures to your local reviewer and the coordinates to ask. Best you do.

As for the "defunct" cache. Have you ever found it? Do you know 100% for certain where it should be? If not, it would be presumptious to think it is really missing. I would just look for another spot.

IAnother spot is too close to a cache that I strongly suspect is defunct. Plenty of active caches within a mile or so, but this one hasn't been found since October, and the owner doesn't respond.

Unless the cache is actually Archived, then yes, it applies. I've seen more than a few caches get resurrected by their owners just as the ax is about to fall. So they're never counted out until they're actually marked as Archived.

Uh... this would be my first cache placed, so I don't yet know who is my local reviewer. How would I find out?

If the cache is indeed missing and the owner no longer active (hasn't logged on in months) you could alert a reviewer or post a "needs archived" in the hopes of freeing up the spot.

The owner hasn't logged since last October. After trying to contact for a while, I did post a "needs maintenance". Because of the nature of the cache (it's way WAY up a tree) it'd be tough to verify for *sure* that it's gone, but the description clearly says it is *visible* from the ground. And even in mid-winter with no leaves in the way and binoculars in hand it didn't *seem* visible. However, when I asked in the forums about whether to go ahead and post a "needs archived" I was so roundly abused by some members that I haven't been back since.

I can do without the second one, but the first, the one with the obstacle, is SOOO perfect. If I can find out how to contact the local reviewer I'll give that a try.

Mr. RadioMom

Davis, CA

Uh... this would be my first cache placed, so I don't yet know who is my local reviewer. How would I find out?

I didn't notice before where you were from, but your local reviewers would be the same as mine. Try any of those suggested by cache_test _dummies above. :)

As others have said, ask your local reviewer and provide pictures. Our first cache technically violated the "less than 150 ft. from railroad tracks" rule. But you would have to climb a very steep and heavily wooded hill (and after that climb a fence) to get to the tracks. Even though this is the terrorist-activity sensitive NY metro area, the reviewer had no problem. Good luck!

Try any one of these three fine reviewers:

Nomex

Krypton

Hemlock

Thanks, I certainly recognize the names. I just didn't know exactly what/who they represented.

I found a more marvelous (and totally non-saturated) area today, perhaps better for a debut. BUT I need to check with those who manage the area to make sure it's OK. Thanks, all, for good help and encouragement.

Mr. RadioMom

Davis, CA