More than one cache "Type" applies

gnbrotz

While participating in a walk-a-thon at a National Battlefield, I attempted to do some virtuals that were along my route. At one, I pulled out my pda to check the description and began to read, only to find that this particular cache was a 10-stage virtual. I skipped it and moved on because I didn't have the flexibility at the time to change my pre-established route....no big deal.

I use custom icons in my gps to show me the cache type right on my screen, and in this particular case I thought it would have been more useful to me to have this cache listed as a Multi, rather than a Virtual. Of course, new Virtuals are no longer allowed, so this specific situation won't be duplicated in the future (though similar examples are surely still out there), but it could be possible to have a cache that is both a Letterbox Hybrid and Multi-Stage.

I'm not at all 'complaining' about how the owner classified the cache, because it IS Virtual in nature. In cases where the type might overlap, how do you (or would you) decide which classification might be best suited to the cache?

While participating in a walk-a-thon at a National Battlefield, I attempted to do some virtuals that were along my route. At one, I pulled out my pda to check the description and began to read, only to find that this particular cache was a 10-stage virtual. I skipped it and moved on because I didn't have the flexibility at the time to change my pre-established route....no big deal.

I use custom icons in my gps to show me the cache type right on my screen, and in this particular case I thought it would have been more useful to me to have this cache listed as a Multi, rather than a Virtual. Of course, new Virtuals are no longer allowed, so this specific situation won't be duplicated in the future (though similar examples are surely still out there), but it could be possible to have a cache that is both a Letterbox Hybrid and Multi-Stage.

I'm not at all 'complaining' about how the owner classified the cache, because it IS Virtual in nature. In cases where the type might overlap, how do you (or would you) decide which classification might be best suited to the cache?

It's up to the owner. But since that cache did not have a logbook a virtual makes more sense.

My work-around for the de-listing of virts has the same problem.

To create a virt today you make it a multi, with one or more virtual stages leading to a traditional final.

It's a virtual, a multi and a traditional!

Let's Go Bowling here in Birmingham is a good example, where 2 stages are coordinates, 3 stages are virtuals, the final is a traditional, and the whole thing is a puzzle. It's listed as a multi.

You can't list a new cache as a virtual, and traditional caches have but one location, so I would list the one you describe as a multi.

Here's how I think I would evaluate a cache, using current non-event types:

1. Is it an Earthcache?

Yes: Earthcache

No: Go to 2.

2. Is there a letterbox stamp?

Yes: Letterbox hybrid

No: Go to 3

3. Do you have to solve a puzzle at any point in the hunt?

Yes: Mystery

No: Go to 4

4. Is there more than one stage, virtual or otherwise?

Yes: Multi

No: Traditional

This sort of stuff is bound to happen when "caching paperless." I was in Colorado and drove to the coordinates of a cache listed as a Virtual. The location was cool, so I wasn't real disappointed when I started reading the description which would have involved miles of driving on dirt roads before finding the final answer . . . :rolleyes::laughing:

Here's how I think I would evaluate a cache, using current non-event types:

1. Is it an Earthcache?

Yes: Earthcache

No: Go to 2.

2. Is there a letterbox stamp?

Yes: Letterbox hybrid

No: Go to 3

3. Do you have to solve a puzzle at any point in the hunt?

Yes: Mystery

No: Go to 4

4. Is there more than one stage, virtual or otherwise?

Yes: Multi

No: Traditional

That sounds right :laughing: