Downers

Forerunner

dosen't appear to have PC seriel conecter - so manual upload of co-ords

Battery time is 14-15 hrs

only 100 waypoints

? not shock resistent

Etrex

bright yellow - findable in bedroom!

They think the Etrex would be the best in the longer term! Maybe one could be aquired in a 'boy' colour?

Have fun minxyy

Downers

Forerunner

dosen't appear to have PC seriel conecter - so manual upload of co-ords

Battery time is 14-15 hrs

only 100 waypoints

? not shock resistent

If you check out garmins website, the forerunner 101 has no connection, while the other models Do (201 is serial, other models are usb). And that whole series seems to be limited to only holding one hundred waypoints.

Hello,

I am planning to buy a base model Garmin GPS for my nephew's 13th birthday.

I was thinking of either a "watch-type" Forerunner 101 or a basic yellow E-trex.

For those of you with kids that age, what model would they find "cooler".

Cheers,

GD

i am 14 and have a yellow etrex and i really do not like it go buy him a forerunner. :o:o:o:o<_<:o;):);):):):)

My 17-year old has cached with us. I asked him your question, and he responded:

"If the guy is a runner and a cacher, but mostly a runner, he'll want the Forerunner 101 because he can use it for both things; if he is mostly a real geocacher, he'll want at least an eTrex."

(of course, 17 is a long way from 13)

We snagged a Geko 201 off E-Bay a few weeks ago for less than $55, including shipping. For our 15 yr old, it is great since it is so lightweight he can take it on backpacking trips. He is thinking about taking it to Philmont this summer, for a tracklog of his hike. (Another plus... it runs on 2 AAA batteries, and a pair of batteries will last about 15 hours.) We haven't tried it on geocaches, yet, though.

Downside.... no computer download, that I know of. Also, no lanyard hookup that I know of.

Downside.... no computer download, that I know of. Also, no lanyard hookup that I know of.

The Geko 201 does hook up to a computer. As far as a laynard I used a cell phone laynard and the small screw on the back to hold it in place.

I agree with the others who mentioned the Geko. Good little unit.

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses so fast!

Thank-you all for your input.

I think I'll go with most people here and get the standard etrex.

I've had one since 2001 and it still serves me well, I just thought that the kids might find the watch type "cooler".

I'm glad I checked here.

Its funny, in 2001 I paid $200 Canadian for my old yeller, and now for $115 its WAAS enabled and has a better antenna... the kid better be happy!

Cheers,

GD

keep the new one and give "old Yeller" to the boy

you can tell him you wanted to pass the "family GPSr" down to him :lol:

That was the plan originally, but my brother helped me out a lot this past year, and refused payment. By giving this to my nephew, its a kind of thank-you my brother can't refuse!

Besides when I do upgrade, I can keep the yeller as a "loaner" GPS.

Cheers,

GD

I was thinking of either a "watch-type" Forerunner 101 or a basic yellow E-trex.

For those of you with kids that age, what model would they find "cooler".

Hi GD, I haven't scanned this thread, so somebody else may have already suggested this:

Neither the base model Forerunner, nor the yellow E-Trex are very good units for caching. Both work well if you have clear skys, but once you get under cover, where many caches are hidden, the reception goes south in a hurry. While a great many good folks have found and hidden bunches of caches with both, I've run them side by side with my 60CSx and the difference is amazing. I sure wouldn't go back. I can understand not wanting to spend a whole bunch of money. Maybe you could put your money with that of your nephew's parents and get a better unit? Something with a high end antenna?

While he might not get into caching, a quality GPSr can be used for many other things.

Edited by Clan Riffster
Neither the base model Forerunner, nor the yellow E-Trex are very good units for caching. Both work well if you have clear skys, but once you get under cover, where many caches are hidden, the reception goes south in a hurry. While a great many good folks have found and hidden bunches of caches with both, I've run them side by side with my 60CSx and the difference is amazing.

I have no experience with the Forerunner/Foretrex, but have used eTrex units for years. They are unfairly maligned by some. I've used them consistently under heavy tree cover without a problem. As long as they are used properly and kept flat, face up to the sky, they rarely lose reception. If they do, they get it back in seconds.

I've cached alongside people who carried their eTrex upside down around their necks or dangling in their hand at their side and they complained about reception. Of course they had problems because they were't holding them the way the mfr. recommends.

Do they compare to a 60CSX? No way. But few units can.

Hi GD, I haven't scanned this thread, so somebody else may have already suggested this:

Neither the base model Forerunner, nor the yellow E-Trex are very good units for caching. Both work well if you have clear skys, but once you get under cover, where many caches are hidden, the reception goes south in a hurry. While a great many good folks have found and hidden bunches of caches with both, I've run them side by side with my 60CSx and the difference is amazing. I sure wouldn't go back. I can understand not wanting to spend a whole bunch of money. Maybe you could put your money with that of your nephew's parents and get a better unit? Something with a high end antenna?

While he might not get into caching, a quality GPSr can be used for many other things.

Hi Clan,

I understand what you are saying because the 60csx is one of the models I am considering for myself as an upgrade from my own 2001 yellow etrex.

Sure, the yeller is not the quickest or best GPS but it has served me very well these past few years (mine is not even waas enabled!). But it's still a good, sturdy unit to learn the basics.

However, the main reason I am going for the base model, is that it's for a 13 year old kid. If it gets broken...it's not a big deal...no cause for drama...everyone can relax...he can even afford to let a friend try it.

If I get him an expensive unit, his parents will just constantly be breathing down his neck to be careful and not to let anyone touch it.

I'd rather let the kid be a kid.

Cheers,

GD

If I get him an expensive unit, his parents will just constantly be breathing down his neck to be careful and not to let anyone touch it.

I'd rather let the kid be a kid.

Cheers,

GD

That's pretty much the reason I got my son a ForeTrex. For about $60 at Aldi's it will allow him to use it and see if he really wants to keep caching. If something happens to it or he loses interest no big deal.