Snowbird Caches

Birdbath

I am a snowbird (retired). I spend approximately 6 months in Illinois, and 6 months in Florida. I am considering placing caches at either end, but wonder what the policy is for removing a cache while I am not there to maintain it. I would not want to place a cache, and then leave for 6 months and not be able to maintain it. Is it acceptable practice to maintain a cache for 6 months and then disable or withdraw it for 6 months until I'm back in the area? Thanks for any thoughts or input.

I am a snowbird (retired). I spend approximately 6 months in Illinois, and 6 months in Florida. I am considering placing caches at either end, but wonder what the policy is for removing a cache while I am not there to maintain it. I would not want to place a cache, and then leave for 6 months and not be able to maintain it. Is it acceptable practice to maintain a cache for 6 months and then disable or withdraw it for 6 months until I'm back in the area? Thanks for any thoughts or input.

Check with each of your local reviewers. In my areas of responsibility (NV and AZ) there are quite a few caches placed by snowbirds and are cared for by locals when they are out for the season. Also note that urban micros are scrutinized more since they are more susceptible to full/wet logs than ammo cans out in the desert.

edit: fat fingers

Edited by Moose Mob

Check with each of your local reviewers. In my areas of responsibility (NV and AZ) there are quite a few caches placed by snowbirds and are cared for by locals when they are out for the season. Also note that urban micros are scrutinized more since they are more susceptible to full/wet logs than ammo cans out in the desert.

How do you locate or determine who the local reviewers are for a particular area?

You can place a cache for the duration of your winter time in Florida or your summer time (I'm assuming that's what a sane birdbath would be doing...) in Illinois. You can either archive it (which is NOT the same as disable) when you leave, assuming a three month life expectancy per the listing guidelines http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

or you can place it and leave it active, assuming you can find a local cacher willing to be your off season maintainer.

This in Florida, where I review.

Because Florida sees so many vacation caches, and the local caching community is not very enthused about them, I prefer that the local maintainer be mentioned on the cache page. Keeps my email box from filling with too many, "why did you publish THIS?" notes...

Since 6 months is a reasonable amount of time to get back to maintain a cache I have no problems with caches at your two homes.

Moose Mob has the best real answer though. Remote caches need less maintance than urban ones. Your local reviewer may have their own personal nuances on the situation and they are the ones that will approve your caches.

:D We get a lot of "BIRDS" her in Yuma, Arizona.............the cachers get some local to tend their caches while they are away........... :wub:

I'm on the other end of that. I live in Grand Forks, North Dakota. We have snowbirds that summer here and winter elsewhere. Other local cachers and myself look after their caches for them when they are away.

It seems to work real well. One of our locals just returned from AZ. I'm looking forward to a new cache or two from him.