Help Noob choose - Vista CX (New) or GPSMAP 60CS (Used)?

ehuesman

I posted this under "GPS Units and Software", but since my questions concern the GPSr use for caching, I thought I would post it here as well.

I am very new to geocaching, but am an avid researcher of new interests. It seems to me the primary difference between these two units are:

Patch antenna vs. quad-helix antenna

Removable 64MB memory card vs. 56MB perm. memory (Obvious which option is better here)

No external antenna jack vs. yes, an external antenna jack

These units are about the same price, so I am trying to decide which one to get based on their merits. Can anyone with experience with these help out? Which antenna is preferred? If only being used for geocaching and hiking, how important is the difference in memory capabilities and the option for an external antenna? Are there any other differences between these units that I should be considering? Thanks.

I posted this under "GPS Units and Software", but since my questions concern the GPSr use for caching, I thought I would post it here as well.

I am very new to geocaching, but am an avid researcher of new interests. It seems to me the primary difference between these two units are:

Removable 64MB memory card vs. 56MB perm. memory (Obvious which option is better here)

These units are about the same price, so I am trying to decide which one to get based on their merits. Can anyone with experience with these help out? Which antenna is preferred? If only being used for geocaching and hiking, how important is the difference in memory capabilities and the option for an external antenna? Are there any other differences between these units that I should be considering? Thanks.

My advice is to save a few bucks and get a Venture CX, instead. Otherwise, I'd definitely go with the Vista CX.

Some say that the quad helix antenna is better, others say that the first group simply doesn't hold their GPSr correctly to get the best performance.

As far as memory is concerned, go with the CX. You will quickly toss that tiny memory card in the trash and buy one that holds 1 or 2 gb. They are very inexpensive right now.

I am fairly new to the sport myself but, like you, I exhausted myself with research. I actually prefer the Magellan units after being able to testdrive both Magellans and Garmins. I went with the Magellan explorist 400. It has SD card capability, usb connectivity, and it comes with a coupon on the box to get sofware for $9.99. Does the vista have mapping capabilities? I cant remember from all my research. I think this is basically a must if you are using it for hiking. I dont know where you live but I live in Southern New England where theere is quite a bit of tree cover and i NEVER have reception problems. Also, from what i have heard, the color screens can be a little hard to see in the sun. I dont know this for sure but i am assuming it is true as my cell phone is not very visible in the sun but i never have problems seeing my gps. Thats my opinion but go with your gut. :lol:

The Vista CX does have mapping (and autorouting). I find it's color screen to be very visable in sunlight. I've never had any reception problems.

BTW, before you choose Magella over Garmin, take a look at some of the threads regarding service after the sale. Garmin excels. Magellan doesn't.

Edited by sbell111

I am fairly new to the sport myself but, like you, I exhausted myself with research. I actually prefer the Magellan units after being able to testdrive both Magellans and Garmins. I went with the Magellan explorist 400. It has SD card capability, usb connectivity, and it comes with a coupon on the box to get sofware for $9.99. Does the vista have mapping capabilities? I cant remember from all my research. I think this is basically a must if you are using it for hiking. I dont know where you live but I live in Southern New England where theere is quite a bit of tree cover and i NEVER have reception problems. Also, from what i have heard, the color screens can be a little hard to see in the sun. I dont know this for sure but i am assuming it is true as my cell phone is not very visible in the sun but i never have problems seeing my gps. Thats my opinion but go with your gut. :laughing:

My Vista C is not hard to see in the sun at all. It is a "mapping unit" and with City Navigator maps installed, it auto-routes me very well. I also have the Topo maps installed on it and can switch back and forth depending on whether I am hiking, or back on the highway.

I haven't owned a Magellan, but a friend who had two different Magellan units bought the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx when the Magellans quit working and Magellan's Customer Service was unhelpful . . . :lol:

Customer Service is my concern with Magellan, again I am only speaking from my net research, not personal experience. Magellan's price point is better though.

sbell111, it seems that your opinion (and most others I have come across) is that the patch vs. helix issue is a toss up. What about the ability to connect an external antenna? How often is that actually done in geocaching?

I have a 60C and a Venture Cx - for all intents and pruposes - similar units to what you are looking at.

I think the 60C tends to hold sat lock better in any position but if I remember to hold the Venture cx in my palm face up - it holds the sats VERY well. It only loses them when I hold it vertical.

I think the processor in the Venture is a bit faster and seems to update things a bit quicker but not by much.

I LOVE the Venture for the battery performance - about 28 - 32 hours on a set of batteries.

The mapping software is a bit expensive for both but I have never needed it for geocaching or hiking.

I tend to carry the Venture cx a bit more these days due to its smaller size and one handed operation but I frequently will also have both.

Customer Service is my concern with Magellan, again I am only speaking from my net research, not personal experience. Magellan's price point is better though.

sbell111, it seems that your opinion (and most others I have come across) is that the patch vs. helix issue is a toss up. What about the ability to connect an external antenna? How often is that actually done in geocaching?

An external antenna is not necessary for geocaching.

I have a Vista CX and a 60C and am totally satisfied with both..as far as preferances, I just grab the one that's the closest.

It does seem that the Vista does lock on to the satellites a little faster but not doing a benchmark test of sorts, I can't be certain on that one.

I have the 1GB card in the CX and thought that was important. Can't say that is so after owning it for 8-9 months. And my main purpose or use is that of geocaching and the extra storage isn't that big of deal in my area.

As far as holding the signal, just like SB, I have had to learn to hold the CX facing up to keep a lock. So the quad helix might have the edge here. But not by much. Both units hold the signal well in tough conditions.

Screens are a toss up. Both do well in sunlight and have good back lights in the dark. Multiple colors schemes on the display and night time setting are kinda neat. But don't add too much to the perforamce.

Battery life... I use the RCA 2100MAH hybrids and I love them. Seem to last forever. My unofficial, non-scientific assumption is they last at least 4-5 x's longer than a regular alky (I'm sure I will be corrected on that one) and w/1500 charge cycles stated, makes a real money saver in the long run..

If I seen them both on the shelf, I would probably go for the 60 series, it just looks a little more rugged that the CX. But again as far as performance, it's a toss up.

Have Fun.. Dr. P

Edited by palser

I dropped my Vista C from a huge boulder one time when I got my camera out of my lumbar pack to take a picture. It bounced twice, then went over the edge, falling more than 100 feet. When we found it at the bottom, the neoprene case had come off, it was dinged and scratched . . . but it was still on. :lol:

The Vista Cx would be just as durable, I would assume. :laughing:

I have a Legend CX and use the extra memory for both topo maps (good for those terrain 4 caches), and about 5000 caches as POI. The extra memory is GOOD! Since a firmware update a long time ago, the unit has NEVER let be down caching. It maps and autoroutes for those times when you need to find a road to the best parking spot too.

i'm new also, but have a garmin mapcsx. i love it. it does everything and more. i have read that people prefer the helix over the batch antenae, but i belive the reception with all hand-helds is realtively the same. granted, there might be situations in whitch one might be better, but i think its a toss-up.

as far as screen visability, i have had no problems. day, night, overcast, antime its great. the garmin even has different color schemes you cn choose from so that makes it even easier to see.

an the final reason i chose the garmin was the testimonials. customer service seems much better for garmin, though thankfully i have not had to use it yet.

i hope you reach a decision and can get out caching in no time!!

dtc