Rectangular PQs

The Cheeseheads

I was going to post this in the "All Caches in a State" thread, but I decided to create a new thread instead...

If I'm going to ramble in one general direction, I'd like to be able to create a rectangular query instead of a circle. So instead of saying "all caches within 100 miles of N42.xxx W87.xxx" I could say "all caches with a north coordinate > N42.xxx AND a north coordinate < N43.xxx AND a west coordinate < -87.xxx AND a west coordinate > -88.xxx"

That way if my rambling is going to take me in a generally westward direction, instead of having a big circle (or several circles) with caches where I might not travel, I could create a narrower, higher quality result:

f546f9b8-4af9-4e98-acfe-d7badaf76414.jpg

While I'm asking for stuff, instead of limiting PQs to five per day with a maximum of 500 caches per PQ, how about setting a daily limit of 5 PQs or 2500 caches returned, whichever comes first. (i.e. I could create a single PQ that would return 2500 caches, but then I couldn't run another query today.)

I'd also like a pony... :unsure:

....Although - you could use the caches along a route to create a twisting parallel series of lines 10 miles apart and then feed it into a Query.

--------------------------------------------------

|

|

|

|

....Although - you could use the caches along a route to create a twisting parallel series of lines 10 miles apart and then feed it into a Query.

|

|

|

|

True, but for Joe Q. Cacher, having something a little more polished rather than a hack would be much easier to use.

I use one big circle. But within this circle i get several pocket queries sorted on placing date of the caches. So i can get all the caches in the area. If the latest pq is full because off new caches a make a new one.

pq1 from 01-01-2000 to 31-04-2003

pq2 from 01-05-2003 to 12-03-2004

I was about to suggest this, when I saw the topic.

Rather than rectangular, perhaps entering a polygon - i.e closing the loop on a route enquiry, and then returning caches on the area inside.

I work 8kms out from Adelaide, a major city in Aus, so don't want to head into the city to cache at lunch (due to parking and traffic), but around my work and 15km North it is quick to get to at lunch.

At the moment I'll be setting this up as a route query, but it isn't the easiest solution to the problem. :huh:

Rather than rectangular, perhaps entering a polygon - i.e closing the loop on a route enquiry, and then returning caches on the area inside.

I work 8kms out from Adelaide, a major city in Aus, so don't want to head into the city to cache at lunch (due to parking and traffic), but around my work and 15km North it is quick to get to at lunch.

At the moment I'll be setting this up as a route query, but it isn't the easiest solution to the problem. :D

To be frank, I find the process easier to work with in GSAK where I can create my points of a closed polygon. As a bonus, I have the option to exclude those caches inside the polygon.

At the moment I'll be setting this up as a route query, but it isn't the easiest solution to the problem. :D

To be frank, I find the process easier to work with in GSAK where I can create my points of a closed polygon. As a bonus, I have the option to exclude those caches inside the polygon.

Right, but in GSAK, you already have the caches. This would be useful, and not much more computationally intensive that the current radius method, to getting the caches in the first place, with more of the caches you want, and fewer of the ones you don't.

Plus, you don't have to resort to a kludge like route PQs with abnormally large distances off the path.