Finding caches before e-mail notification is sent?

SeattleSun

I have seen people talk about finding new caches before receiving e-mail through the notification service. Is there a way to find out about newly published caches before e-mails are sent out?

Today, I received notification of two new caches in my area that had actually been published (and found) yesterday, so I obviously had no chance of being FTF. I realize that part of this might be a recent glitch in the notification service, but can I also infer that there are other ways of finding new caches rather than waiting for that (sometimes elusive) e-mail?

Thanks.

Usually everyone gets the Insta-Notify emails at the same time . . . or nearly so. Some people get the messages on their cell phones, so they can be on the road to the cache almost immediately.

If the cache owner gave the coordinates to a friend before the cache went "live," that person should not claim the FTF.

Quite common here. There is an alternative database for Germany on a different website. Since they are much faster in approving/listing, we are quite often days behind.

Why over half the listings on a Rochester, N.Y. based alternative geocaching site are in Germany is beyond me, but I think it goes back to this website not sharing their database of caches with local groups :blink: But that's kinda off topic, no one has mentioned TB's dropped before the cache is approved. Knowing the location of the TB's, some hardcore FTF'er types can "guess" the location of the cache, in many cases. It's been discussed in the past, although I'm not prepared to Markwell it (unless someone demands proof). :unsure:

no one has mentioned TB's dropped before the cache is approved. Knowing the location of the TB's, some hardcore FTF'er types can "guess" the location of the cache, in many cases. It's been discussed in the past, although I'm not prepared to Markwell it (unless someone demands proof). :laughing:

That happened to me quite by accident. I was watching a green jeep tb before it was ever placed in a cache. Saw when it was dropped into a cache that wasn't even published yet. From the name if the cache I THOUGHT I knew where it was. I still waited for it to be published however and boy was I wrong! I would have been seraching a very long time if I had tried to look for it.

I seem to remember something about unpublished caches showing up on WAP but I think that loophole may have been closed. It didn't give the coords from what I understand but some resourceful cachers could still use it to figure out where the cache was.