Help me pick from 3

Howdy, new to the forum and will be new to Geocashing soon. I also want to use the GPS for backpacking and kayaking (not whitewater)

I want to stay around this price and I don't know which one to get. I know there are better units, but for this price range I think I did a good job narrowing it down.

Magellan Explorist 210 $98 free shipping

Store price ~ $180

Pro: memory, USB connect

Con: People have trouble with corrupt files and Magellan service, no SD cards

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?om...mp;sku=MGEXP210

eTrex Vista $130 ship $5

Store price ~ $260

Pro: Compass & altimeter, good review

Con: serial cable connect, referb, no SD cards

http://www.megagps.com/index.asp?PageActio...&ProdID=756

Lowrance Electronics IFinder H2O Waterproof Handheld $129 ship $6.25

Store price $??

Pro: Bang for buck, Cigarette plug power adapter, waterproof

con: no direct cable for data, SD card transfer only.

http://www.onsale.com/shop/detail~dpno~707...f+Handheld.aspx

It's like Chevy versus Ford versus Dodge.

I would say go with the Garmin. Good customer service, free online updates for your unit, support from most mapping programs, etc.

I had a Legend for years and it never gave me any problem whatsoever. Also I've owned a basic eTrex and a Venture.

The eTrex line is very sturdy and performs well. The problem I ran into with my Legend is that it only had 8MB of internal memory. When I finally broke down and bought the Mapsource Topo program I realized I needed more memory -- the 8MB just wasn't enough. (Wound up getting a GPSMAP 60Cx.)

The 24MB will give you quite a bit of space, but if you do a lot of traveling you might want more. The new Garmin Venture Cx has a color screen, uses USB, and can take a removable memory card. Price is about ~$180 from Amazon and probably elsewhere. It doesn't come with an included USB cable or memory card, but the next step up (Legend Cx) does.

I'm partial to the Garmins. I have a Legend and a Vista Cx. Love the electronic compass on the Vista. The legend is also a great unit. It has everything the vista has except for the compass and altimeter.

I’m leaning towards the Vista, although the Explorist 210 price is pulling me back.

I have a lowrance h20 color unit and I love it. I picked it for the reason it does have the most bang for the buck. When I have had to contact customer servcie they have been absolutley great. there are a bunch of loyal lowrance users here on the forum. You can do a search and find the threads. I like the fact that it is a sd card transfer as I can keep a lot of waypoints on it and transfer back and forth with in the unit itset. Many computers have built in sd card readers so it would eliminate taking a cord with you and believe me having that ca power cord come with it is a definite plus.

The new Garmin Venture Cx has a color screen, uses USB, and can take a removable memory card. Price is about ~$180 from Amazon and probably elsewhere. It doesn't come with an included USB cable or memory card, but the next step up (Legend Cx) does.

The Legend Cx is nice, but I'm already pushing my budget. I’ve tried to get lucky on some auctions, but it has been going well over my bid. I know, I know, I’m a cheap a**. :laughing: I’ve told the wife if I use the heck out of the one I’m going to buy, I’ll get a better one in the future.

I have a lowrance h20 color unit and I love it. I picked it for the reason it does have the most bang for the buck. When I have had to contact customer servcie they have been absolutley great. there are a bunch of loyal lowrance users here on the forum. You can do a search and find the threads. I like the fact that it is a sd card transfer as I can keep a lot of waypoints on it and transfer back and forth with in the unit itset. Many computers have built in sd card readers so it would eliminate taking a cord with you and believe me having that ca power cord come with it is a definite plus.

My head is going to explode :laughing: You have a good point. I have been researching for a few days. I'm about to draw straws. :laughing:

Just to toss another model into the pot. The Garmin GPSMAP 76 models work great, the newer ones autoroute, and on top of that,,,,they float! :ph34r:

I think any of the 3 that the OP mentioned would be better than the Map 76. They all have more map memory, though the Map 76 might have the edge over the Vista in reception. Still, it has a paltry 8 megs of map memory which is in line with the Legend.

I think the rest of the 76 series, though excellent units, are well out of the OP's preferred price range.

Well, against all suggestions, I went with the 210. The reason was:

#1 Cost

#2 It was sitting on the shelf at Circuit City taunting me with a $99 sale sign.

If I find myself using the crap out of it, I will upgrade to a unit with: Barometer, compass, altimeter, color screen, and expandable memory. Thanks for your help.

Well, against all suggestions, I went with the 210. The reason was:

#1 Cost

#2 It was sitting on the shelf at Circuit City taunting me with a $99 sale sign.

If I find myself using the crap out of it, I will upgrade to a unit with: Barometer, compass, altimeter, color screen, and expandable memory. Thanks for your help.

Just hope you dont have a problem. If you do, dont contact customer service because they dont have any.

A friend had two different model Magellan's, one of which was still covered under an Extended Warranty.

He had a terrible time getting service for that GPSr. The other one, he didn't even try . . .

He could afford it, so he just went out and bought the "Mercedes" of GPSrs . . . the Garmin GPSMap60CSx. :laughing:

I too hope I don't have a problem. From the looks of it, I think Groundspeak is the best customer service.

What Magellan did you have issues with?

We have Meridian Gold. The first one dropped the waypoints in memory and kept turning on and off. The replacement has worked with no trouble.

The unit comes with no manual. (Just a CD) Magellan refuses to send me a manual. So i guess if i have trouble in the woods with my unit or a question about it i will just pop the CD in the nearest tree PC and find the answers i need. Otherwise i guess were just SOL. :laughing:

I just bought a 210 and I'm envious of the $99 price as I paid double (in Canadian) for this unit.

I have been using a 100 for over a year and really enjoy the Magellan design. Easy to use and larger lettering/numbers than a Garmin Legend.

It seems the customer service issue is streaky. Some people have had real problems and some have had reasonable (abit slow) service. It seems emailing is better than calling.