Trying to decide which unit to buy

melhankins

Here's the best help anyone can offer: do not, under any circumstances, pay $216 for an explorist 200. If you want a 200, they can be had for far less.

Now, with regard to the rest of your question. I don't know of any receiver that will not tell you elevation data. There is a difference in that some have electronic barometers that will tell with a pretty good degree of accuracy and some use GPS signals for elevation that are, based on what I've read, within +/- 12 feet of accuracy. When you say you want a compass, does that mean you want an electronic compass on board the GPS that functions independently of the GPS reception, or a compass screen that is updated from GPS data? If the answer is that you want an electronic compass, then you should first know that an explorist 200 does not have one. You should second know that all of the major manufacturers offer receivers that do have electronic compasses with mapping options. Recent production examples from Garmin include the Vista Cx and the GPSMap 60 CSX; Lowrance offers the Expedition C and the Explorer; Magellan offers the explorist 600.

If you don't want/need the electronic compass that is included with the specific models I cited above, then there are a multitude of receivers available that have GPS-assisted compass, elevation, and maps. Too many to list out at one time.

The main point is that you shouldn't pay that much for a 200. You should head back to the drawing board and do more research or further define what you are looking for here and more advice can be offered. That's not to say the 200 isn't a viable option if it fits your criteria, but it's generally available for much less. Without having done the research in a while, I'm thinking much less is probably $100 less than what you've quoted.

Edited by Steel City Seekers

I was just checking the wally world site and the only explorist 200 I saw was only $104.88 (Here) .... perhaps the OP was including the maps as well. As a Garmin guy, I would recommend that you look at the Garmin Venture Cx, it is a current generation GPSr, has a color screen, expandability via micro SD cards (up to 2 GB at this time), and is currently listed at only $186.44 on the wally world site(Here). The base maps are not great, but they will suffice for most applications and you can always upgrade if you feel the need. If you search the posts on these forums, you will see that the Venture Cx is recommended as the 'most bang for the buck' GPSr over and over again. The Venture does NOT include a USB cable (neither does the 200 if my memory serves me right), but most people have a cable laying around for their digital camera or other digital device that will work just fine, nor does it include a micro SD card, but these are cheap, and getting cheaper all the time. Most people won't be satisfied with the paltry 64 MB card that comes in other units and will upgrade anyway. ( The explorist has only 8 MB of memory built in, with no expandability...) And probably one of the biggest selling points is the customer service offered by both companies, you can again search the forums and find thread after thread praising Garmins customer service, while in thread after thread you will find that Magellan's customer service just kind of...sucks...for lack of a better word. Thats my 2 cents, hope it helps.....

Edited by team5150

Don't get the 200, especially for that price. First off its nearly twice what you should pay for it. Second, you can't hook it up to a PC for waypoint and map transfers.

In your price range the eXplorist 210 and Garmin Venture CX are the most obvious choices. Between the two I think the Venture CX is a much better choice.

Venture CX is color, 210 is B&W, Venture CX has expandible map memory, 210 has limited fixed map memory.

If you are getting mapping software, Garmin's version is better than Magellan's. Also, the Garmin will autoroute on the base map. Magellan won't

Another factor is that Garmin is consistently praised for outstanding customer service, while Magellan's customer service reputation ranges from poor to abysmal.

Here's the best help anyone can offer: do not, under any circumstances, pay $216 for an explorist 200. If you want a 200, they can be had for far less.

Now, with regard to the rest of your question. I don't know of any receiver that will not tell you elevation data. There is a difference in that some have electronic barometers that will tell with a pretty good degree of accuracy and some use GPS signals for elevation that are, based on what I've read, within +/- 12 feet of accuracy. When you say you want a compass, does that mean you want an electronic compass on board the GPS that functions independently of the GPS reception, or a compass screen that is updated from GPS data? If the answer is that you want an electronic compass, then you should first know that an explorist 200 does not have one. You should second know that all of the major manufacturers offer receivers that do have electronic compasses with mapping options. Recent production examples from Garmin include the Vista Cx and the GPSMap 60 CSX; Lowrance offers the Expedition C and the Explorer; Magellan offers the explorist 600.

If you don't want/need the electronic compass that is included with the specific models I cited above, then there are a multitude of receivers available that have GPS-assisted compass, elevation, and maps. Too many to list out at one time.

The main point is that you shouldn't pay that much for a 200. You should head back to the drawing board and do more research or further define what you are looking for here and more advice can be offered. That's not to say the 200 isn't a viable option if it fits your criteria, but it's generally available for much less. Without having done the research in a while, I'm thinking much less is probably $100 less than what you've quoted.

Thanks so much everybody! I was wrong the 200 @ walmart is $117.00Anyway i am liking what i hear about garmin.I want the elevation because i am a ham radio operator and i like to go to high places and operate portable radios too see how far i can talk.This sounds like a very interesting hobby, and i must confess i am a nut for gadgets.I will do some more research. Thanks again everyone.

If you really want a Garmin look at the 60CSX. This will have all the bells and whistles including your barometer and electronic compass. This unit also has the sirf III chip for better reception in heavy tree cover. I am not sure what rebates etc are available right now on this, but right now this is the King of the Hill for geocaching. You will want to buy the City Navigator software so you can get point to point directions while you are caching or just traveling. I didn't know what I was missing until I traded up to one of these. You really can't go wrong with any of the mainstream units. It all depends on how many toys you want.

If you really want a Garmin look at the 60CSX. This will have all the bells and whistles including your barometer and electronic compass. This unit also has the sirf III chip for better reception in heavy tree cover. I am not sure what rebates etc are available right now on this, but right now this is the King of the Hill for geocaching. You will want to buy the City Navigator software so you can get point to point directions while you are caching or just traveling. I didn't know what I was missing until I traded up to one of these. You really can't go wrong with any of the mainstream units. It all depends on how many toys you want.

I second that recommendation. I have a 60CSX and it is great for geocaching and city navigating. It does great in heavy tree cover as well.

I second that recommendation. I have a 60CSX and it is great for geocaching and city navigating. It does great in heavy tree cover as well.

I third that recommendation...our 60 CSx performs wonderfully!

Although the Garmin GPSMap60 CSx is fantastic, I actually prefer my Vista C (haven't upgraded to 'x' version).

I prefer the way the buttons work on that smaller unit, and like the little toggle for navigation. The Venture Cx is the best GPSr for the money.

For the difference between it and the 60CSx, you can get the auto-navigation kit and the City Navigator maps. :(

I third that recommendation...our 60 CSx performs wonderfully!

Agreed. If you have the money to spend the 60CSX is the way to go. The cream of today's handheld units.