Additional Hidden Waypoints from Reviewer notes visible

ZapMe

I recently posted a multicache. As part of the posting I put the final coordinates of the cache in as a waypoint for the reviewer. The final coords were not meant for eyes other than those of the reviewer for obvious reasons.

I downloaded a pocket query and opened it in GSAK on the day the cache was published. The pocket query included the area where my multicache was placed. GSAK grabbed an 'archival' version of the gc database information when I double clicked on it and lo and behold the final coordinates were in there listed as a waypoint.

Is this supposed to happen?

.z

When you were listing the final coordinates as a waypoint, did you make sure to check the box that said to hide it from view of everyone except you and the reviewer? That could be the reason it showed. But other than that I can't think of any reason why it would have shown your final coords.

I marked it as for the reviewer only so that's not it. And it doesn't happen now that the cache has been published for some time. I can no longer see it from GSAK. It was only there for the first day or two after it was first published.

It didn't show up in the GC listing on the web, and indeed even now when I log in and look at the cache as the logged in owner it doesn't show me the waypoint. I think those are only able to be viewed by the reviewers and administrators.

It seemed like GSAK was grabbing from a db other than the publicly visible one. I don't see how that can be so but that is how it seemed.

I checked to see if it was only visible by the owner because that avenue occurred to me too. To confirm this I created a second login on GC and cleared my login cookies. I then logged in using the new login and ran GSAK. It pulled up the concealed waypoint all the same.

Just to be clear - I can't see the waypoint I provided to the reviewer anymore. But when I opened the listing by double clicking it in GSAK I could see it.

This was weird and I'll try to confirm it by using GSAK to look at the next multicache that comes up in a pocket query for me.

.z

As the owner of a Multi to be able to see all the Additional Waypoints, including the hidden ones. Visit the edit waypoint page for the cache [Waypoint link in the Navigation box top right of the cache page], all AW's are shown at the bottom of the page. Also all Additional Waypoints are included in PQ's by the cache owner, including the hidden ones when they do a PQ that includes their own cache.

I think the name of this thread should be changed to something other than Reviewer notes visible. It's an additional hidden waypoint that is visible.

I'm afraid that people skimming the forums will get the wrong impression, as I did, and be afraid to post things in Reviewer notes on unpublished caches.

I recently posted a multicache. As part of the posting I put the final coordinates of the cache in as a waypoint for the reviewer. The final coords were not meant for eyes other than those of the reviewer for obvious reasons.

I downloaded a pocket query and opened it in GSAK on the day the cache was published. The pocket query included the area where my multicache was placed. GSAK grabbed an 'archival' version of the gc database information when I double clicked on it and lo and behold the final coordinates were in there listed as a waypoint.

Is this supposed to happen?

.z

You say you "downloaded" the GPX file. Does that mean you got if from the GPX link on the cache page?

If you're the cache owner, downloading the GPX file from the cache page will always include all your waypoints, including the hidden ones. Pocket queries, however, do not do this.

I"m guessing you first looked at the cache page's GPX file (and saw the waypoints), but are now looking at a PQ file (and you don't see them).

Edited by Prime Suspect

You say you "downloaded" the GPX file. Does that mean you got if from the GPX link on the cache page?

If you're the cache owner, downloading the GPX file from the cache page will always include all your waypoints, including the hidden ones. Pocket queries, however, do not do this.

I"m guessing you first looked at the cache page's GPX file (and saw the waypoints), but are now looking at a PQ file (and you don't see them).

Well - honestly I'm a little confused now.

What I did was this.

1 - I posted the cache with the hidden waypoint. The waypoint was marked 'not public' (or whatever that choice is)

2 - The day my cache was published I downloaded a pocket query with all the caches in my area

3 - I loaded the .gpx file into GSAK

4 - I saw my query as a line item in GSAK and double clicked it. This loaded an 'html-like' page which I'm not certain if it came from GC or from the .gpx file itself

5 - When I looked at the details of the cache in GSAK the final waypoint was in there listed as such.

I really don't remember this any more clearly and perhaps it would be best if I just left this alone till it arises (if it arises) again. The easiest way to check this would be for a reviewer to set up a dummy multi with the final waypoint in there marked secret, publish it, run a query, load the query in GSAK and see if doubleclicking the item reproduces what I think I saw. There's lots of explanations for what I may have experienced that all reflect perfectly normal behavior - I'm just reporting what I believe happened.

.z

Edited by ZapMe

GSAK will retain exsiting child waypoints for a cache, even after you have loaded a new PQ entry for it. It might have been that you loaded a GPX query from the cache page while logged in (hidden waypoints will be included for YOU alone this way), and then later loaded the PQ. I have seen exactly this happen to one of my first caches with a hidden waypoint.

Cache owners get the hidden waypoints of their caches in .gpx files but no one else can. Is that what you're worried about?

Thanks... I guess that must be what I saw. What I was concerned with was that I'd posted a multicache and anyone who used GSAK to load the query would be able to see the final coords immediately after it was published. But you've pretty much convinced me that this isn't so.

Sorry for the confoozalating!

.z

Thanks... I guess that must be what I saw. What I was concerned with was that I'd posted a multicache and anyone who used GSAK to load the query would be able to see the final coords immediately after it was published. But you've pretty much convinced me that this isn't so.

It's a feature so as long as you keep the site updated, you don't have to keep little slips of paper around trying to figure out where the stages are, etc. By having all of the stages accessable and easily transferable to your GPSr, in the long run, it should make your life easier.