Friend's List?

pcsfrme

I was wondering if there was any plan to add a "Friends List" functionality of some kind. This would allow cachers to quickly keep track of their friends and see what caches they have hit, etc.

Even just a list of Profiles that you want to keep track of, kind of like the "Watch this" feature for trackable items and caches.

That would ROCK! I have a half dozen family members and we all cache together and separately. We all keep an eye on each others progress. I also have a few local cachers I watch because I've become friendly with them or I'm just a fan of their progress. It would be WONDERFUL to have them all on a watch list so I didn't have to seek each name out one by one. Great idea!

Any idea on when something might be implemented? Even "very soon" or "in a couple years" would be sufficient. Just wondering...

Thanks,

pcsfrme

I would rule out very soon. A reoccurring issue of slow site performance is a top priority right now.

Increased site traffic overwhelms the servers. Groundspeak streamlines the server code.

Increased site traffic overwhelms the servers. Groundspeak buys new servers.

Increased site traffic overwhelms the servers. Groundspeak streamlines the server code.

Keep repeating.

Adding more features is going to be a low priority till a LONG TERM solution to the site performance issues is in place. We have been assured they are working very hard on it.

It has been discussed that if (when) this feature is made available, there will have to be an opt in component. Not surprising for something called a "Friends List", specific permission would have to be given for you to view greater detail of their Caching activities. Not a problem for close friend or family members. Would not include someone just because you have become "a fan of their progress".

Any idea on when something might be implemented? Even "very soon" or "in a couple years" would be sufficient. Just wondering...

Thanks,

pcsfrme

I would rule out very soon. A reoccurring issue of slow site performance is a top priority right now.

Increased site traffic overwhelms the servers. Groundspeak buys new servers.

Keep repeating.

Increased site traffic overwhelms the servers. Groundspeak hires an outside consulting firm to retool the site completely. When done, additional feature request work bubbles back to the top again.

I corrected your post to accurately reflect the situation. Thanks.

Just my .02 and probably worth half that, but couldn't you and your friends get personal travel bugs and put a watch on each others' bugs? You'd get notifications for each cache that the bug was dropped off in and retrieved from. Downside is a lot more keyboarding and mouse clicks to do it right. But, would work.

I'm glad to hear that they're working on it. As I understand it it will be an "opt in" option.

Since my BUDDY LIST was closed by a moderator, as a duplicate, and this thread was mentioned

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=162250, I'll put my 2 cents worth in here:

I have suggested a BUDDY LIST in the past

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry2291544

and I reiterated that suggestion today. It seems to be the same suggestion as this thread talks about. A list of geocaching friends, say on the right side of my geocaching page, which, when I click on their username takes me to their profile. Also, by being on my BUDDY LIST, I would get an email containing any log they make for a geocache or trackable item.

I am glad to see that I am not the only premium member who has suggested this in the past...

As for the "opt in component" that Cardinal Red suggests, I do not see why this would need to occur. I would get the same information by watching the cache page they post a log to, or by clicking on their profile and then their geocaches tab to see their finds and be able to read thier logs. What greater detail would there be in a BUDDY LIST? It's getting information that is already out there, posted by a geocacher for all to see. It is the same thing as my Watchlist for geocaches and trackables.

Sorry I did not scan all the forums to see if this topic had been mentioned in the recent past. The only other thread on this I knew about was this one (besides my own last year):

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry1523997

Hope to see this function maybe in the next year...

Kevin

Edited by K-SQUARED

I like the idea of the list as a quick link to friends' profiles and recent activity (without having to go through the contact another player steps).

I would NOT want an email for every cache logged by a friend. I have some very busy friends, and a lot of geocaching-related email as it is. If available, this should be optional.

As for the "opt in component" that Cardinal Red suggests, I do not see why this would need to occur.

This is to appease the tin foil hat crowd. Anything would be better than nothing however. With luck, the higher priority stuff will get completed soon.

As for the "opt in component" that Cardinal Red suggests, I do not see why this would need to occur.

This is to appease the tin foil hat crowd. Anything would be better than nothing however. With luck, the higher priority stuff will get completed soon.

I don't understand it either. Some people are "careful" about what info they allow online, and others are "paranoid". From my point of view demanding to be able to opt out of numbers being shown, and requiring permission to be on buddy lists, falls under the paranoid column. But that's okay, there's no real reason for me to demand that they be on my buddy list or that I see their numbers anyway.

There are only a small number of cachers I'd want to watch anyway. If for some reason Sbell111 (or whoever) didn't want me to be able to "watch" him without his permission, it wouldn't change anything. The people I want to watch will be okay with it. The folks that seem paranoid to me aren't of interest anyway.

(I used Sbell only as an example since I knew he wouldn't be offended if I did.)

I'd also love for Buddy Lists, with copies of logs emailed, be added after the other site issue are resolved.