Praise for my 60CSX

wrz0170

Having the gps for geochaching is fun and all but it really shined when it got put to the real test.

We just returned from Vegas and got a chance to put our 60csx/City Navigator through it's paces. I don't have to tell anyone that when you go to a VERY busy city in which you know nothing about and trying to navigate it, can be nerve racking and discombobulating.

I was really impressed with the near pinpoint accuracy and flawless directions. It was very cool to see that it seemed to know the nuancess of different roads and highways. Helping us avoid exit only lanes, stay left or right or make a U turn here or there. Not to mention on how to budget with how far away a point of interest is as well as the exact time we will get there for further planning.

Need to get to Hoover Dam? Got us to the parking lot

Need to get to Lake Mead from Hoover? Took us right there.

Need to find the nearest Walmart from Lake Mead? Found one 5 miles away

Need to find the nearest park from the Walmart? how about .48 miles from that?

How about the nearest gas station from that point?

Get us back to the rental center from the gas station? Put is right in front.

Not to mention all the other points of interests from the area.

Anyone looking at GPS and considering whether or not a worthy investment, it is! Even if you do just a little travelling, it will pay for itself.

Maps? Who needs stinking maps! (well, always have a paper one around for general reference) :sad:

Having the gps for geochaching is fun and all but it really shined when it got put to the real test.

We just returned from Vegas and got a chance to put our 60csx/City Navigator through it's paces. I don't have to tell anyone that when you go to a VERY busy city in which you know nothing about and trying to navigate it, can be nerve racking and discombobulating.

I was really impressed with the near pinpoint accuracy and flawless directions. It was very cool to see that it seemed to know the nuancess of different roads and highways. Helping us avoid exit only lanes, stay left or right or make a U turn here or there. Not to mention on how to budget with how far away a point of interest is as well as the exact time we will get there for further planning.

Need to get to Hoover Dam? Got us to the parking lot

Need to get to Lake Mead from Hoover? Took us right there.

Need to find the nearest Walmart from Lake Mead? Found one 5 miles away

Need to find the nearest park from the Walmart? how about .48 miles from that?

How about the nearest gas station from that point?

Get us back to the rental center from the gas station? Put is right in front.

Not to mention all the other points of interests from the area.

Anyone looking at GPS and considering whether or not a worthy investment, it is! Even if you do just a little travelling, it will pay for itself.

Maps? Who needs stinking maps! (well, always have a paper one around for general reference) :sad:

I mimic your sentiments exactly. My 60CSx gave me perfect turn-by-turn directions throughout downtown Chicago recently. Every single address, every single building, every single spot I needed to get to was flawlessly executed, thanks to my Garmin and City Nav v8.

Thanks, Garmin, for the best handheld on the market!!

Praise overseas also. I purchased my 60csx before going to Ireland. Perfect directions, POI's, and details of the towns. I cant tell you how many times it saved us from getting lost, and that was traveling with a friend who lives there. He bought a GPS after I went home...

Which mapping software were you using with your GPS? I just bought a 60CX and the next step would be to get something like City Navigator NT v8.....

City Navigator 8 Nt is the way to go. Get at least a 1gb card too. So far, just for what we need it for, a 1gb has been fine.

I travel for business all the time. Since my ocmpany is to cheap to let us rent cars with Never Lost I use my 60CX to find my way around. My only issue is that I am using City Select version 6 and some of the roads have changed. I will be upgrading my software soon, but can tell you that it has been a life saver for me many times already.

Which mapping software were you using with your GPS? I just bought a 60CX and the next step would be to get something like City Navigator NT v8.....

City Navigator 8 Nt is the way to go. Get at least a 1gb card too. So far, just for what we need it for, a 1gb has been fine.

Can you purchase any card or do they have to be made by Garmin? How much did a 1 gb card cost?

Can you purchase any card or do they have to be made by Garmin? How much did a 1 gb card cost?

I have a San Disk 1gb in mine. Several manufacturers make them, I paid ~$40 for mine at Best Buy. You can search online for better deals, though.

From the Garmin website:

Q. What is the largest size microSD card that I can use in my X-series GPS unit?

A. At this time, the 2 GB cards are the largest microSD cards that can be used for the X-series GPS units. However, the X-series GPS units are not compatible with the San Disk Ultra II cards and we do not recommend using the Ultra II micro SD cards with any of the X units.

How big of a map area can you have on one of these at any given time, with a 2gb card? How many waypoints? Without being able to connect to my PDA for cachemate transfer, I'd be curious to know if I can keep a large library on hand for cache-on-the-go.

you are limited by the unit to 1000 waypoints. However, you can convert these to Custom POIs and AFAIK you can put very large numbers of them (in the 10s of thousands) Someone who has worked more with Custom POIs will have to provide more specifics.

How big of a map area can you have on one of these at any given time, with a 2gb card? How many waypoints? Without being able to connect to my PDA for cachemate transfer, I'd be curious to know if I can keep a large library on hand for cache-on-the-go.

I have the 2GB Sandisk cark and I can fit the entire North America City Navigator v8 NT installation, only taking up 900+ MB leaving adequate room for all the POIs I'll ever need.

I'm considering getting one of these units. From what I can read on Garmin's website, it looks like the only differernces between the 60CX and the 76CX is the size of the card included and the layout of the controls - is that correct? Or are there some nuances that I'm missing.

And is there really a reason to get the unit with the built-in barometric altimeter as opposed to the ones without?

Sorry for any thread hijack here...

I'm considering getting one of these units. From what I can read on Garmin's website, it looks like the only differernces between the 60CX and the 76CX is the size of the card included and the layout of the controls - is that correct? Or are there some nuances that I'm missing.

And is there really a reason to get the unit with the built-in barometric altimeter as opposed to the ones without?

Sorry for any thread hijack here...

For the differences between the 60C(S)x and the 76C(S)x, see this post.

As far as the whether or not to get the sensors, it provides a vertical profile of your track, and gives you some vertical/altitude information that the non S units do not. You have to decide whether or not that extra information is valuable to you. It also has an electronic compass that the non S units do not have.

Edited by CenTexDodger

Oh, I have to add to my original post, I was able to get a Sat. lock in the plane to Vegas. Seeing 487 m.p.h. in the speed read out was very cool. :laughing:

The other neat thing was watching the pointer speed across the map.

However, for some reason, the altimeter wasn't giving a good reading. May be a calibration issue.

The altimeter works off of pressure and probably won't give a good reading of altitude in a pressurized air plane cabin. If you want to check the altitude under those conditions try checking via GPS altitude as this triangulates based on the sattelite information.

Go to the sat page, menu-->GPS elevation. Like trooper said, it would show about 6000 ft due to the cabin pressure.

I travel for business all the time. Since my ocmpany is to cheap to let us rent cars with Never Lost I use my 60CX to find my way around. My only issue is that I am using City Select version 6 and some of the roads have changed. I will be upgrading my software soon, but can tell you that it has been a life saver for me many times already.

Come on, NightStalker, you can make it few more years before upgrading! I'm still using CS v4. Every year I think it is time to upgrade. After 6 years it is a point of pride to see how long I can drag this out.

It's not that I'm cheap, just stingy.