Waterproof Containers

Well, one person reported that they had an uderwater cache that was an ammo can. They said it was not a problem. People talk about a rubber ring on ammo cans, but I hadn't noticed, although I've never looked that closely at mine.

Of course no matter what you use, as soon as it's taken out and opened, water will probably get in from the outsides, and cause condensation.

Not sure if this is the right size (small cache maybe and then one a bit larger...) but in the sporting goods dept at Walmart had two size containers that claim to be waterproof. They are clear and have a rubber seal. They looked very nice. Think they were around $6. Sorry i dont have more info... :

Lock N Lock containers come in a size that is comparable to an ammo can. They sell the "variety" pack at JCPenney and it's frequently on sale for about $15 for 5 containers.

We can't say that they are 100% waterproof all the time, but we did have one that was flooded under about 10 feet of water and it was bone dry when we were able to safety get back to the cache location!!!

Edited by lindsychris

And for the obvious question, how about an ammo can?

i do not think ammo cans are totally waterproof

They are are no totally waterproof containers. Ammo boxes are about as waterproof a container as you will find. There have been a number of threads here that detailed some pretty wet conditions that ammo boxes have survived with the contents bone dry, including extended submersion during floods and a trip of a few miles across a bay in Canada. Sure some leak if the seal is not good, but if you have an ammo box with a good seal you're going to look a long time and spend a lot more to find something better.

There are other "waterproof" containers like Otterboxes, which are much more expensive and no more waterproof than an ammo box. Lock n Locks are OK but not even close to an ammo box when it comes to keeping things dry.

I work along creeks and rivers and the weather is always raining. We recomend Pelican Boxes, sometimes the boxes fall in the water and the insides stay dry.

-Watertight, crushproof, and dust proof

-Easy open latch

-Rubber liner for extra protection doubles as o-ring seal

-Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve - balances interior pressure, keeps water out

-Stainless steel hardware

-Lanyard

-Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee of Excellence

-Available in clear with color liner or solid

www.pelican.com

Edited by xjrob

They are are no totally waterproof containers. Ammo boxes are about as waterproof a container as you will find. There have been a number of threads here that detailed some pretty wet conditions that ammo boxes have survived with the contents bone dry, including extended submersion during floods and a trip of a few miles across a bay in Canada. Sure some leak if the seal is not good, but if you have an ammo box with a good seal you're going to look a long time and spend a lot more to find something better.

There are other "waterproof" containers like Otterboxes, which are much more expensive and no more waterproof than an ammo box. Lock n Locks are OK but not even close to an ammo box when it comes to keeping things dry.

Hey! What am I, chopped liver? :(:sad: :

Well, one person reported that they had an uderwater cache that was an ammo can. They said it was not a problem. People talk about a rubber ring on ammo cans, but I hadn't noticed, although I've never looked that closely at mine.

Of course no matter what you use, as soon as it's taken out and opened, water will probably get in from the outsides, and cause condensation.

I too noticed some new "waterproof" boxes in the sporting goods area at Wal-Mart. They look similar to an Otterbox - I am in the early stages of testing them out......

My next question is can they be camouflaged with spray paint. (Not with that stupid looking duct tape...)

Maybe the next time i go to Walmart i will take pictures and get their sizes.

I stopped by Walmart and thought i would report about the boxes they have. They have 2 sizes. Although i didnt get the measurements, i would say they would be a small, and regular cache.

The small is $5.96

And the Regular is $7.96

They have this website on them: outdoorproducts.com

Although i couldnt find these items on that website.

I stopped by Walmart and thought i would report about the boxes they have. They have 2 sizes. Although i didnt get the measurements, i would say they would be a small, and regular cache.

The small is $5.96

And the Regular is $7.96

They have this website on them: outdoorproducts.com

Although i couldnt find these items on that website.

I bought one of these. And spray painted it. My spay paint wasn't exactly camouflage as it was decoration but paint will adhere to them since they are plastic. It's been in the field for about 3 weeks now which isn't long, but so far its' been bone dry. I guess only time will tell if its a good choice for 100% waterproof applications.

Lock & Locks and ammo cans both have gaskets, and waterproofing problems come in when they are closed incorrectly. The presence of plastic bags in the cache makes this easy to do. Once the gasket has been damaged, waterproofing is no longer a guarantee (or even an option!).

And therein lies the problem, since we cannot control how carefully/not carefully people will replace items in the cache and re-close the cache container.

Neither of these container types is inherently leaky or leakproof. Both are better options than anything else out there. But it's all in the use.

-- Jeannette

What this thread and so many other like it need is for an agreed definition between WATERPROOF and WEATHERPROOF.

I'd say a normal cache container only needs to be WEATHERPROOF unless you want insurance against flooding, being submerged or inundated for periods of time, capable of floating as in seaworthy, then you'd want it to be WATERPROOF.

For simple WEATHERproofing, I'm using multiple layers, ziplock bags inside a (lock'n'lock, tupperware, etc) container inside or UNDER another camo'ed container. The latter provides initial protection from most if not all weather. Added internal layers protect against humidity.

Maybe I should post a jpeg record of my successes......somewhere.

dutchmaster