Who Deaf Geocacher

deafnut

Skullking, Deafhunt is trying to find other deaf geocachers. He is telling you he is in Alaska (Anchorage) and has been there for 3 years. He has been geocaching for 2 weeks.

He is extremely enthusiastic about geocaching, and wants to get more of the deaf community involved in geocaching. He has created a short video explaining geocaching in ASL.

You may notice a difficulty with the english language. That is normal, since his first language is American Sign Language. The syntax and structure of ASL is completely different than our standard English. Also, I believe he is 20 years old.

He has been welcomed into the geocaching community by a number of forum regulars.

Welcome again, DeafHunt!

Malia

Deafhunt - I don't sign but I work with a couple of folks who do. They offered constructive criticism of your video that you need to slow down when signing. It's obvious that you are quite fluent in ASL but the video capture you are using isn't able to keep up with your signing. If you slow it down - like you are speaking slowly - it will probably be more readily readable by the ASL community.

Excellent idea to make an ASL video explaining geocaching. I hope you make another video with slower signing.

Deafhunt - I don't sign but I work with a couple of folks who do. They offered constructive criticism of your video that you need to slow down when signing. It's obvious that you are quite fluent in ASL but the video capture you are using isn't able to keep up with your signing. If you slow it down - like you are speaking slowly - it will probably be more readily readable by the ASL community.

Excellent idea to make an ASL video explaining geocaching. I hope you make another video with slower signing.

I agree with slowing down. Especially with the fingerspelling. It blurs a lot. Deafhunt, I noticed at the very end that you slowed down a bit with the fingerspelling, and I had a better time understanding all of a sudden. Better lighting is important, too. The light is behind you, which shadows your body. It would be better to have the light more in front of you. Hopefully someday things like YouTube will be able to show videos without all that blurring. It can make it hard for signing to show up clearly.

Thank you for making the video, it's a great idea, and I've enjoyed watching it. If you make another one, please let us know, I'd love to see it!

Skull King's inappropriate posts were no match for the awesome powers of Captain Clorox. That skull's looking pretty bleached.

Carry on... and on topic.

Well, being as he says he's a sock puppet in his profile.... Gotta love that avatar though. :rolleyes:

I'd better say something on-topic; Good job on the video, deaf hunt, and a good idea.

Great video Deafhunt! I know a little ASL, I studied it for a couple of years. I need to study that for practice! But I agree with others that it would help a lot if you slowed your signing down some. The blurring makes it hard to see your hand shapes. Maybe if you make another video, you could show the GPSr unit more and maybe show a cache container too...like an ammo can or a Lock N Lock.

Good idea to make a video though!