Advantages of topo software

This just shows the terrain?

Does it show roads? Is this worth getting?

Thanks!!!

I am not sure what Topo you are referring to, as the are all different. I will tell you about Garmin's Topo USA, because it is what I know. It is a vector version of the USGS 1:100,000 Topo maps. It has roads, streams, trails, campsites and peaks. The information contained is about 25 years old, so some of the road information is incorrect. Most highways are labelled, but most smaller roads are labelled as "Road". You can use Garmin's Map Viewer on their website to see what it looks like.

I purchased the Garmin Topo maps on eBay for a reasonable price. Since they don't have Unlock codes, there is no problem getting the maps that way, as long as the CDs are in described as being in good condition.

You will need to download the update to Mapsource from the Garmin site to get all the functionality you will want for working with the maps on your computer. It is 45 MB . . . even at my local library, with their WiFi connection, it took about an hour to download . . . faint.gif

Here is an image of the tracks and profile of a recent hike I took:

5b8cf07f-2b90-4dc2-9aa6-515e5d2734bd.jpg

It depends on what you'll be using the GPS for... If you're into hiking, off-roading, etc, you would probably find the topo software useful... If you plan to mainly use the device on the highway, you could check out the City Navigator software that has detailed information about roads.

I purchased both when I got my 60CSx. I like having the availability to see the major roads that I travel to get someplace and then seeing the topo series for when I'm not following a road.

I find it fairly useful when I travel into National Forests. Like Simon said, depends on what you are planning to do with it. I have a 60CSx and with a 2 gb card. I have City Nav maps for the entire US loaded along with Topos from 6 or 7 states. Last time I checked you could pick up a copy of topo on eBay for around $50 or $60. It will not do autorouting.

...The information contained is about 25 years old, so some of the road information is incorrect. Most highways are labelled, but most smaller roads are labelled as "Road"...

- Do you know if Garmin Canada's Topo is older than US Topo?

No, I really don't know anything about Topo Canada. There are Canadian users on here that should be able to chime in and help you out.

Topo Canada uses topographic and waterway information directly from the federal 1:50000 maps, so data is as old as those. Road information is the same as Metroguide Canada Version 4 and is around 5 years old. The roads and trails are all auto-routable on the GPS.