Why is Pocket Query shorting me caches?

This is a headscratcher.. I set up a p.q. with 500 caches centered on a zipcode.. After it authorizes the request I look at the search and all 500 caches are there. However when it arrives in zip form in my email... it is now a mere 104 caches. I am doing a lot of filtering in the p.q. request to have lots of things excluded but I would think it would just take in a bigger circle from the starting point, besides all 500 caches are present when I look at the search on the web site.

I also set the maximum circle at 500 miles so I know this is not the problem.

What is preventing the 500 caches coming through the email???

thanks

wingryder

This is a headscratcher.. I set up a p.q. with 500 caches centered on a zipcode.. After it authorizes the request I look at the search and all 500 caches are there. However when it arrives in zip form in my email... it is now a mere 104 caches. I am doing a lot of filtering in the p.q. request to have lots of things excluded but I would think it would just take in a bigger circle from the starting point, besides all 500 caches are present when I look at the search on the web site.

thanks

wingryder

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquery.a...26-104c04f3ff72

Here it is.. However when I went back to get this I noticed none of the exclude parameters I entered on the pq are still highlighted.

Here is a update. I took another look at the p.q. on the web sight result page. It indicates 500 caches alright but there is only descriptions for 104. So whatever I am doing wrong it is resulting in way fewer caches than the 500 I am expecting.

Anyone else having this problem??

wingryder

I see all 500 caches. But I don't see what exclusions you used. It is any size, any container, any terrain, etc. The only exclusion is that they are actice and you haven't found them.

Here is a update. I took another look at the p.q. on the web sight result page. It indicates 500 caches alright but there is only descriptions for 104. So whatever I am doing wrong it is resulting in way fewer caches than the 500 I am expecting.

Anyone else having this problem??

wingryder

thanks

wingryder

What are you using to view the pocket query? If you are using GSAK are these the only waypoints in the database? Is something being filtered out at that end?

Thanks in advance for your help. Are you sure you can see all 500 caches? I see the 500 number on the query but when you open it in easy gps, or open it in Mapsource, or just view it on the websight (thus removing the possibility that it could be a email problem) there is only 104 to 125 caches. Viewing on the web.. shows 25 pages of descriptions of 5 caches each.

As far as the exclusions go.. not sure why the "excluded attributes" are not showing up. I am selecting them when I set up the p.q. However this is a different problem that I will tackle after the 500 vs 125 problem.

Just a note.., my overall objective is a large circle of caches (like 100 miles or more) with as few as possible

"In town" caches. That is why I set the terrain up a little and use exclude attributes like wheel chair, public transportation, public phones etc. Folks have gone a little crazy here.. putting caches on every park bench and old building for miles. The result is a pocket query that 75% is still in town.

The two cachers that could see all 500.. please review that again and confirm they are all there.

Isn't this fun.

wingryder

Edited by wingryder

yes, all 500 are there. Because there are no exclusions. They don't translate in the link. I think that only 125 caches meet your criteria. Just because you choose a max of 500 doesn't mean that is what you will get. And if I am not mistaken, if you choose attributes and someone does not add any attributes to their cache page, it won't show up in your query.

Thanks in advance for your help. Are you sure you can see all 500 caches? I see the 500 number on the query but when you open it in easy gps, or open it in Mapsource, or just view it on the websight (thus removing the possibility that it could be a email problem) there is only 104 to 125 caches. Viewing on the web.. shows 25 pages of descriptions of 5 caches each.

As far as the exclusions go.. not sure why the "excluded attributes" are not showing up. I am selecting them when I set up the p.q. However this is a different problem that I will tackle after the 500 vs 125 problem.

Just a note.., my overall objective is a large circle of caches (like 100 miles or more) with as few as possible

"In town" caches. That is why I set the terrain up a little and use exclude attributes like wheel chair, public transportation, public phones etc. Folks have gone a little crazy here.. putting caches on every park bench and old building for miles. The result is a pocket query that 75% is still in town.

The two cachers that could see all 500.. please review that again and confirm they are all there.

Isn't this fun.

wingryder

Yes, all 500 show up in EasyGPS, but as the others have posted no exclusions showed up on the link that you posted.

If it's not working for you this way (with the exclusions you are trying to use), you could probably just do a straight query, then filter them with GSAK.

Two things I have learned.

1. I have not been double clicking the exclude attributes and that is why they were not active. I stumbled upon that.

2. And I find that if I do not "zip" the p.q. to my email. It works just fine with all 500 present. (even when I view the search on the web prior to getting the email.)

perseid88.. I have to disagree. With a search of 500 miles diameter, it should just keep expanding until you have 500 caches no matter how many parameters you throw at it. The only thing that would limit it would be the miles in diameter thing. If my filtered requests could not come up with 500 qualifying caches in 500 miles, then yes it could come up short but very unlikely.

I will experiment some more but I think progress has been made.

thanks to all that helped out.

wingryder

Edited by wingryder

You are right that it should expand until it finds 500 caches if they all meet its criteria. It does sound like there is an issue with the zip file. Some of these zip files are larger than 1MB. (especially if they have the ebook) I wonder if somewhere the file is getting truncated because of size?

Two things I have learned.

1. I have not been double clicking the exclude attributes and that is why they were not active. I stumbled upon that.

2. And I find that if I do not "zip" the p.q. to my email. It works just fine with all 500 present. (even when I view the search on the web prior to getting the email.)

perseid88.. I have to disagree. With a search of 500 miles diameter, it should just keep expanding until you have 500 caches no matter how many parameters you throw at it. The only thing that would limit it would be the miles in diameter thing. If my filtered requests could not come up with 500 qualifying caches in 500 miles, then yes it could come up short but very unlikely.

I will experiment some more but I think progress has been made.

thanks to all that helped out.

wingryder

There are 20 caches per page so you are getting 500.