History Cache

Waymarking, aside from being off topic, is not what they are looking for.

Well they certainly aren't looking for geocaching. Geocaching is about finding a container. If that container is in a special location then that's a bonus.

Why do some people think that geocaching is about finding a special place and if a container is there then it's a bonus? :rolleyes:

If geocaching is all about the container then I've got about 30 ammo cans in my garage you can log. My wife has about 200 Mason jars you can log, and you can dig through our cupboards and log tupperware until the cows come home.

Personally I think there is something more to it than the container, something that virtuals can capture even without the container. I'd say that's just me, but it's not.

Very well said! I have more enduring memories from the Virtual caches I have found both locally, and on roadtrips, than I do for most of the "containers" I have found. :P

Finding historical or meaningful sites is something else you can do with the GPS, but just because you use the GPS doesn't make it geocaching.

Why isn't there and "Earthcaching" site then? :P

...It's not *just* about the container, but about *hiding* it and finding it using the GPS. The logbook is also an essential part of the game. Containerless "caches" don't have that. They also don't have anything hidden. Yes, you can reference these pre-existing landmarks or whatever with coordinates, but they weren't placed there to be found with a GPSr.

I have had just as much fun if not more finding caches with no GPS. I have no doubt I'd enjoy a letterbox. Logs are not part of the fun. Yuck. We play hot potato with the log to see who gets stuck signing it. Something hidden, I think you have part of it right there. Finding something hidden in the real world is the fun part. That doesn't have to be a cache. A cache is nicer than no cache, but...it's not the end all be all of the hunt.

Did you know that one of our buildings in this quaint town has nude women on it. People walk by it every day and don't notice. There is a history to why they are there. It's interesting in it's own right. Well worth the sleuthing it took me to find this place. I hid a clue for a cache there. The clue was stolen. It would still make a worthy virtual. Or historical cache for that matter.

Of course you have held to the Box, GPS, Log theory for a long time so I don't expect you to see the bigger picture that has a lot of people doing things like Benchamrking, Virtuals and Locatinless and how they all relate in that they are variations of caching. Even Waymarking is a variation though it's different enough from vituals to not be a direct replacment for them.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Did you know that one of our buildings in this quaint town has nude women on it. People walk by it every day and don't notice. There is a history to why they are there. It's interesting in it's own right. Well worth the sleuthing it took me to find this place. I hid a clue for a cache there. The clue was stolen. It would still make a worthy virtual. Or historical cache for that matter.
...Or a virtual stage to a multi? Make 'em count the number of women, or the number standing, sitting, reclining, etc, or the number of arms and legs showing (keepin' it family friendly...)

The problem with that is that a "History Cache," like the "Earthcaches," and some great Virtual caches require you to learn something that you take away from the experience. :P

Turning a cool location into a Multi with a log to sign makes it a Geocache, but doesn't require the involvement the other caches require. :rolleyes:

I can't think of a single virt I've found that couldn't be turned into a real cache, including the one you linked to. Why would the existence of a log take away from the learning experience?

The problem with that is that a "History Cache," like the "Earthcaches," and some great Virtual caches require you to learn something that you take away from the experience. :P

Turning a cool location into a Multi with a log to sign makes it a Geocache, but doesn't require the involvement the other caches require. :rolleyes:

I can't think of a single virt I've found that couldn't be turned into a real cache, including the one you linked to. Why would the existence of a log take away from the learning experience?

It doesn't. On the flip side I have never found a virtual under a lamp post cover in a parking lot.... :P I've heard that there were some really yuc ones but I've never found one. :(

I guess I'm not a purist, but I appreciate Earch Caches and am sure I would enjoy History Caches. Logistics, aside, I think it would be a positive addition to the game.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I am a MAGC member and know Duke / FalconLoader through the organization.

Just my two-penneth,

Dave / DudleyGrunt

History Caches:

Dear Geocaching.com. Being a person who greatly enjoys history and sees a need to promote education in history, I would like to create a new cache category similar to the Earth Cache. This would be a “History Cache”.

This would work along the principle of Earth Caches in that it would take the cacher to places of historic value:

For example but not limited to:

• Battlefields

• Old Forts and Castles

• Points of national interest

o Political Speeches – (IE Gettysburg Address Location)

o Boston Harbor

• Historic Anchorages

o The constellation

o The Constitution

• Historic Passes/Trails

o Oregon Trail

o Cumberland Gap

• Historic Land Marks

o Old border markings

o The towers near Annapolis

• Open to ideas…..

The purpose of the History Cache is to:

1. Promote history education

2. Make history more enjoyable for students and assist history teachers by giving them another tool to make history more interactive.

3. Encourage people to visit historic sights and learn why these are important.

This much of the OP idea I agree with 100% how they are reviewed and the mechanics don’t care about how, that is up to Groundspeak

Joe