Change of Login Name

Andrew & Barbara

Hi,

When I signed up for GeoC it was exploratory, but 90 caches later I wondered if it is possible to change account name to reflect the family rather than a standard nasme I use for myself on most sites? Of course I would not want to create another account and lose the logging of those found and documented so far.

Even with 90 finds your best bet would likely be to simply create a new account and relog your finds under that account. Then log back in under the old account and delete the finds. If you own any caches you can go to www.geocaching.com/adopt and transfer ownership. Trackables like travel bugs might be a problem unless you recorded the tracking number, but beyond that it's all pretty straight forward.

~erik~

Even with 90 finds your best bet would likely be to simply create a new account and relog your finds under that account. Then log back in under the old account and delete the finds. If you own any caches you can go to www.geocaching.com/adopt and transfer ownership. Trackables like travel bugs might be a problem unless you recorded the tracking number, but beyond that it's all pretty straight forward.

~erik~

I can see that the date can be changed to reflect when found, but would the entry be placed in the correct order or rather at the top?

I was rather hoping that the site webmaster 'may' be able to alter ones account leaving all entries in place with the updated name (like if you change an icon), but that would depend on how the site was programmed (speaks an ex-programmer!).

Unfortuneatly the webmasters have told us they can not change usernames. There is something in the new code that will not allow for it. If you create a new account and backlog a log it will drop in place sorted by date. Just be sure to mention you are changing names because a cache owner will still get a log saying you found there cache and some may delete a backdated log without explanation. Hope this helps.

Z

Unfortuneatly the webmasters have told us they can not change usernames. There is something in the new code that will not allow for it. If you create a new account and backlog a log it will drop in place sorted by date. Just be sure to mention you are changing names because a cache owner will still get a log saying you found there cache and some may delete a backdated log without explanation. Hope this helps.

Z

I also was looking to change my username. The lead in page for the forums has this comment:

Your account information has been updated in the forums

If you make any future changes to your account here on Geocaching.com, such as your forum signature or username, you will need to revisit this page before logging into the forums so your information will update.

This sure would imply it is possible, but most likely the page has not been updated to reflect software changes.

I am a paid memeber so just opening a new account could be a little expensive.

dan

I also have dozens of photos linked to entries, so resubmitting them all is not an option.

As each person has a unique number identifying them within the site that is not shown (learnt through using GSAK - when obtaining Finds on PQs), as an ex-programmer, I would have thought the reference number could be retained and the corresponding Username changed?

Z

I also was looking to change my username. The lead in page for the forums has this comment:

Your account information has been updated in the forums

If you make any future changes to your account here on Geocaching.com, such as your forum signature or username, you will need to revisit this page before logging into the forums so your information will update.

This sure would imply it is possible, but most likely the page has not been updated to reflect software changes.

I am a paid memeber so just opening a new account could be a little expensive.

dan

Others can answer this better than I, but there is probably a way if you contact the Webmasterwhere they can create a new account for you without you having to pay twice.

In that vein, I imagine despite what they say that they really could change your username. What they actually said last May regarding the new code is that * YOU * can't change your username anymore. But I very seriously doubt they will be willing to do it, I can imagine it would be a lot of annoying work to do it for everyone who wants to.

Maybe when people join TPTB should have a big warning on the signup sheet that you can't change your username and should really give a lot of thought to it......(we were lucky, we also wanted to change our name from an individual one to one that more reflects the family and the minute we learned they were not going to allow it anymore did so on the spot!)

I also have dozens of photos linked to entries, so resubmitting them all is not an option.

As each person has a unique number identifying them within the site that is not shown (learnt through using GSAK - when obtaining Finds on PQs), as an ex-programmer, I would have thought the reference number could be retained and the corresponding Username changed?

Nope, as a couple of other people have already said, changing your username is no longer an option. It used to be, but in May of 2006 a software change removed that option. Here is where Jeremy gave us all a heads up.

When you created your current username, you were reminded to choose carefully since the name couldn't be changed.

If you to the getting started forum, open the pinned FAQ at the top, and read the last post (as of this posting) by Markwell, you'll get the information in the above will be repeated.

You have to open a new account, log all your finds again with the new name, have any caches you own transferred to the new name via the adoption process, and contact the site and have them transfer your membership to the new account.

To avoid confusion, it's nice to include a short note in your new logs that you're logging the caches under a new username. Sometimes cache owners don't understand why a person is logging their cache 6 months late, check the physical log, don't see the name, and delete your online Find. If you explain what you're doing as you log the new ones it's less likely someone will care.