Direct to Mint vs Going thru Coin "Company"

tsunrisebey

After reading coin threads over the past couple of months I've got a some questions I'm curious about and I don't see addressed much here.

**I realize that many cachers want their "hand held" when designing and minting their first coin or maybe any coin but why is there not much in the way of discussion between geocoin loving cachers going directly to the mint instead of going through the typically advertised geocoin distributors?

(Let me state that I am just asking simple questions, not looking to be "chewed out" or trying to ruffle any feathers, I know I can't be the only one wondering these things)

**I know when I got quotes for a personal coin (nontrackable) and nothing fancy, I got 2 quotes and there was a big difference between the quotes (almost $300), minimum I was looking at was just under $6.00 per coin, high end was just under $9 per coin. I only got 2 quotes because only 2 of 6 coin companies answered me back when I emailed them. I have seen comments about "reasonably priced coins."

**I have seen people comment that the China minters speak English pretty well (the people you deal with). So, if people want better prices on coins, why don't we hear more from those who are going directly to mint? Is this taboo?

**If you go directly to the mint and you are want a trackable w/icon, how does one go about getting a batch of trackable #'s/ setting up activation/ etc.?

**I realize that many of our US geocoin companies offer a valuable service but what about getting the information out to those who may want to bypass this part to keep the cost down even more, I'd personally like to see more information by those with experience.

Side Note: The only reason I didn't go ahead with minting a personal coin was I wanted to wait a year to see how I still felt about my new hobby, if I was still actively particpating then my present to myself would be a minted coin.

Thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Tsun.

I am probably not one to speak since I've not produced my own coin, yet, but lack of experience hasn't stopped me from voicing an opinion.

I think you get what you pay for. The "middlemen" do offer a valuable service and they charge you for it too. It's their business so don't count on them giving away business secrets. Many have gone without it and have produced and continue to produce great coins. But having heard of several minting snafus in the last few months by those who are dealing direct and delays caused by such snafus (pre-orders and reservations gets a lot of people anticipating and breathing down your neck) one sees the other side of the coin too (excuse the pun).

If you can handle the heat get in there and get involved directly and save yourself some bucks. Many have posted on the forums lately some of the things to watch out for and what to anticipate so you don't get too surprised.

After reading coin threads over the past couple of months I've got a some questions I'm curious about and I don't see addressed much here.

**I realize that many cachers want their "hand held" when designing and minting their first coin or maybe any coin but why is there not much in the way of discussion between geocoin loving cachers going directly to the mint instead of going through the typically advertised geocoin distributors?

I was using a company that will no longer mint geocoins so I tried to go direct. Found a mint and contacted worked out all the details with regard to artwork and sent money. Got samples and was not happy with them. Now out $300+. Still minting but started over.

**I know when I got quotes for a personal coin (nontrackable) and nothing fancy, I got 2 quotes and there was a big difference between the quotes (almost $300), minimum I was looking at was just under $6.00 per coin, high end was just under $9 per coin. I only got 2 quotes because only 2 of 6 coin companies answered me back when I emailed them. I have seen comments about "reasonably priced coins."

Just under $6 seems reasonable from the middlemen at least compared to quotes I got for my first coin (not the Dreamcatcher it was a bit more). $9 seems like a rip unless the design and other unique qualities to the coin are that numerous.

**I have seen people comment that the China minters speak English pretty well (the people you deal with). So, if people want better prices on coins, why don't we hear more from those who are going directly to mint? Is this taboo?

Speak is a funny word. I my experiance most busines is done through email. You can tell it is not their first language but you can communicate.

**If you go directly to the mint and you are want a trackable w/icon, how does one go about getting a batch of trackable #'s/ setting up activation/ etc.?

Anyone can get numbers. On all my coins I have paid Groundspeak for the number and then hosted them on coincodes.com for $10. Very easy and can get done in less then a week.

**I realize that many of our US geocoin companies offer a valuable service but what about getting the information out to those who may want to bypass this part to keep the cost down even more, I'd personally like to see more information by those with experience.

Talk to the right people and look in the right places you could find some of the information. Not posted here because everyone has their contacts and not all the same. I thin in most cases people use the middleman as well. The service is normally worth the price and the market at this time will still pay for the service.

Side Note: The only reason I didn't go ahead with minting a personal coin was I wanted to wait a year to see how I still felt about my new hobby, if I was still actively particpating then my present to myself would be a minted coin.

Thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Tsun.

If you have more question contact me and I will be as helpful as I can.