New to this-COnnecting GPS to my computer

chapman_jake

Hi, I am new to this and somewhat understand it. My issue I am having is loaded my software that came with my GPS and then plugged in my GPS to my computer using a USB cable and its not recognizing it. I have removed it and installed it twice. Any suggestions would be great. I really want to start this with my family, but if I cant connect the GPS to the computer then we are at a standstill. I have a Garmin etrex Vista C

Unlike almost any other USP device and WinXP [you are using XP?], Garmin requires a custom USB driver. It should be on the CD which came with your Vista C. If not you can DL it from Garmin.

When correctly installed, there will be a Garmin folder at the root of C: it has a sub-folder USB_Drivers. Now RC on My Computer > Manage > Device Mgr, you shoud have a USB with a yellow "!", RC on it > Properties > Update Driver > Point it to the Folder C:/Garmin/USB_Drivers.

Should be good to go!!!

Hermit

I reloaded the software again and now under device manager there is the garmin device. and under my c drive there is a folder called GARMIN and then a sub folder called USB Drivers, but I tried connecting just now to the Garmin POI thing that they offer so we can download points from here and its says "There is no GPS connected" what now, what are my next steps? Also someone may have plugged the gps into the computer before the software was loaded will this being causing these proplems??? All of your help is greatly appreciated.

The computer beeps everytime I plug it in like its recognizing it, but then nothing ahppens, it ends up not recognizing it. I spent three hours on this last night and still cant figure it out. I tried a different port and then the new ahrdware thing popped up and it said would you like ot load (even though its on there ) I said yes lets load it again, and went through its courses and then nothing. Please help, anything is appreciated!!!

The computer beeps everytime I plug it in like its recognizing it, but then nothing ahppens, it ends up not recognizing it. I spent three hours on this last night and still cant figure it out. I tried a different port and then the new ahrdware thing popped up and it said would you like ot load (even though its on there ) I said yes lets load it again, and went through its courses and then nothing. Please help, anything is appreciated!!!

My best suggestion is to remove the drivers entirly. Then before you plug in the GPS install the drivers. Then plug in the GPS.

For some reason a lot of drivers make a bid deal out of installing the driver first. Then plugging in the device. Perhaps you did it the other way around and need to clear out the goofed up driver install?

My fix........... I loaded GSAK into my laptop, and load the waypoints directly from GSAK into my Garmin. No special driver needed this way. GSAK also has filters so I need only load the waypoints for the current trip direction, and has the cache info handy to glance at when I park.

The only drawback to this, if I am also using my Streets and Trips, I have to switch the GPSr interface back and forth from Garmin to NMEA. <_<

Edited by Trucker Lee