Help with an Underwater Cache

nameless301

Alright, I am planning on creating a cache underwater, but I don't want it to be a physical cache, just because I don't think it would be allowed, because it is in a ecological reserve. So I am thinking of a virtual cache, but not quite sure how to go about it, because this spot is really amazing, it is great for snorkeling, swimming, and SCUBA. Could I do an Earthcache? Or a Virtual? What does everyone think, could you give me some advice.

Your best bet may be trying to make it an earth cache. I'm not sure what hoops you'd have to jump through, but if it's unique enough, it might fly. Since folks dive there, you might talk to the folks who manage the reserve and get their thoughts on placing something in the water. If you got a Dremel, you could buy a cheap cutting board at Wally World. One of the white plastic kinds. Then draw the coords to a second or final stage on it, and use the Dremel to cut out the numbers. Because the plastic is so dense, it's dang near ecologically inert, and won't bleed off any nasty chemicals. These things float, so you'd need to attach it to something to keep it submerged in place. The managers might give you advice on what to use as an anchor. Or they may tell you to jump in a lake, (as long as it's not their lake). :lol:

Good luck, sounds like a kewl place!

The place to start is with the managers of the preserve. If they'll allow a physical placement, I'd go with a physical cache. If not, you still must have their permission for an earthcache - the form asks for name and contact info for the manager giving permission on all public lands. So either way, the manager is the place to start.

If scuba is allowed, an underwater earthcache would be way cool, and perhaps a first. You really ought to take a look at the earthcache listing guidelines http://www.earthcache.org/, as well as the geocaching listing guidelines http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx. Waymarking.com is now the site listing virtual points.

Your best bet may be trying to make it an earth cache. I'm not sure what hoops you'd have to jump through, but if it's unique enough, it might fly. Since folks dive there, you might talk to the folks who manage the reserve and get their thoughts on placing something in the water. If you got a Dremel, you could buy a cheap cutting board at Wally World. One of the white plastic kinds. Then draw the coords to a second or final stage on it, and use the Dremel to cut out the numbers. Because the plastic is so dense, it's dang near ecologically inert, and won't bleed off any nasty chemicals. These things float, so you'd need to attach it to something to keep it submerged in place. The managers might give you advice on what to use as an anchor. Or they may tell you to jump in a lake, (as long as it's not their lake). :D

Good luck, sounds like a kewl place!

You don't leave any kind of container or marker at an earthcache.

with an underwater cache, has anyone used containers that must be opened above water?

i have been thinking about trying this and nesting a few ammo cans and water tight containers to build a multiple sealed cache (more seals means more watertight in theory).

Would this hold? anyone tried this?