What kind of GPS should I Buy?

OlpA77

I am looking for a GPS that can give me access to back road maps (not just the main highways) with turn by turn directions and auto reroute if I pass my turn. I would also like to use it for geocaching. I do a lot of hiking so I would need some sort of handheld one or portable.

Do gps units let you enter a point by Lat/ Long and still give you driving directions to get you close to that point? If so that would be great for me while geocaching. I have no big concern about price any price range would be fine. Also I am really good with electronics it doesnt matter if its simple to use or not.

I hope someone can help me find a great GPS! Any ideas any one?

Thanks!

If by back roads, you mean secondary roads, Garmin's City Navigator software covers them quite well. If you mean dirt roads and logging roads for 4x4 travel, City Navigator doesn't have a lot of these. Garmin's Mapsource Topo does though, but Mapsource Topo doesn't autoroute.

Since money is no object I would recommend the either the Garmin 60CX, 60CSX, 76CX or 76CSX running Mapsource Topo and City Navigator. You can easily switch between the two as needed. The 60 and 76 series are nearly identical internally and functionally, but quite different on the outside. You might be able to find the 76CX or CSX a bit cheaper than the 60 because they don't sell quite as well.

The S in the CSX models means sensor. The "S" models have a barometric altimeter and electronic magnetic compass, while the non "S" models don't. The non "S" models are about $50 cheaper.

...Do gps units let you enter a point by Lat/ Long and still give you driving directions to get you close to that point? If so that would be great for me while geocaching. I have no big concern about price any price range would be fine. Also I am really good with electronics it doesnt matter if its simple to use or not.

I hope someone can help me find a great GPS! Any ideas any one? ...

Filling in a bit from the other advice (which I agree with).

It sounds like you will need to buy Topo software and City Navigator for your GPS whichever you buy. Also when it comes to routing the GPS will route like you want. Just pick the cache and tell it to route you there. BUT (and it's important) the GPS will route you on the road that is closes to the cache. That could be different from the road you need to be on to get to the cache.

Example. A local cache is in a park off the beaten path, but that spot is near the interstate. The closest road is the interstate and the GPS will tell you to use the interstate to get to the cache. Not the correct local road because the local road is actually further away from the cache due to the size of the park.

This kind of thing happens a lot. You drive up to someones house but the cache is in the park behind the house. If you keep this in mind, you can use routing to get you close enough and the rubber band map page to guide you in. It works fairly well.