The Horror! Machine Eats Cache!

crtrue

I have some sad news to report from the Southeastern front. GCRV47 ... has been eaten alive.

It's horrible, I know. Apparently the land next to the library where the cache was placed has been cleared of all underbrush and small trees, and with it the cache in the area. Now, when I say "cleared", I don't mean "carried away". I mean a thresher and dozer have come through and torn the place into tiny little pieces. The cache is no more, its bags being strewn about, the travelbug in disarray, and the log book's pages slowing blowing down the lot. I'm trying to be vivid in my description -- I left my camera at home.

The poor squid travelbug toy somehow came out modestly unscathed -- half a tentacle dangling and there appears to be some head trauma, but I think he is going to live. I'm trying to get in contact now with the team that got the travelbug itself, getting the poor thing washed up, and sending it back on its way; I think this story alone is pretty memorable, and it makes me hope the little guy will make it to Hawaii.

A sad day for brush-covered caches everywhere.

We had the same thing happen to a cache in Waukesha WI in September.

See GCJJ4K for the photos of the "remains".

I could not believe a "no find" log so we went out at dusk to check. As we approached ground zero, we realized the cache had been leveled. Searching that night, we found the remains of the ammo can and pieces of the log book. The cache owner returned the next day and dug into the dirt for several hours and managed to find the travel bugs, other parts of the ammo box. etc.

The area is LEVELED with only a small row of trees left between the trail and the golf course next door. We might put a memorial micro cache there come spring.

AuntieNae

I have some sad news to report from the Southeastern front. GCRV47 ... has been eaten alive.

It's horrible, I know. Apparently the land next to the library where the cache was placed has been cleared of all underbrush and small trees, and with it the cache in the area. Now, when I say "cleared", I don't mean "carried away". I mean a thresher and dozer have come through and torn the place into tiny little pieces. The cache is no more, its bags being strewn about, the travelbug in disarray, and the log book's pages slowing blowing down the lot. I'm trying to be vivid in my description -- I left my camera at home.

The poor squid travelbug toy somehow came out modestly unscathed -- half a tentacle dangling and there appears to be some head trauma, but I think he is going to live. I'm trying to get in contact now with the team that got the travelbug itself, getting the poor thing washed up, and sending it back on its way; I think this story alone is pretty memorable, and it makes me hope the little guy will make it to Hawaii.

A sad day for brush-covered caches everywhere.

Here is a cache site, that is now being made into an UPS warehouse.

Significantly less dramatic, but the results the same... I saw an alarming string of DNFs on a cache that I had recently hidden in a newly renovated lagoon park. Seems that the Beavers didn't care for the town's renovations, and decided to do thier own. Every bush with stumps less than 6 inches in diameter were removed. Someone cited that "beavers may be the culprit", but before I went to see for myself, I just laughed at that notion. When I went to check on it, there was literally hundreds of bushes removed, all with telltale chew marks. Then, there were drag-trails across the pathways, directly into the water. You suposed the beavers will log a find on this one?

There was a new cache in my city that involved some driving around town. One of the second stage of this cache was near a drain into the river. My sister and I went to go find it, but couldn't. When I went back, the city had collapsed the rock ledges above the cache and buried it, literally, under a ton of rock. It still hasn't been replaced. =(

i claimed a second find on a cache today, the original was an ammo box in the woods. the cache owner remembered reading a previous log on a cache where i helped sombody find their gps that they had droped in the snow, 18inches deep or more. i have a metal detector. this cache that i found today, the area was clearcut and bulldozed,it took a cuple mins to find it but we did it and saved a cuple tbs also