Handing the cache to another cacher

StonedCachers

I've seen in logs and even heard storys from friends someone was already at the cache and they handed it to them when they were done. (you don't know the other cacher)

Just wondering, is there a set way to handle such a situation?

Should the cacher who first found it re-hide it and leave?

Is it ok to hand the cache to the next cacher?

Or should the first cacher treat the seccond cacher as a muggle and quickly dispurse when he see's the guy comming?

If I had to guess, I'd pic the first one. I'd rather replace the cache in it's hiding spot before I'd hand it to the guy, what kinda fun would that be?

I've seen in logs and even heard storys from friends someone was already at the cache and they handed it to them when they were done. (you don't know the other cacher)

Or should the first cacher treat the seccond cacher as a muggle and quickly dispurse when he see's the guy comming?

If I had to guess, I'd pic the first one. I'd rather replace the cache in it's hiding spot before I'd hand it to the guy, what kinda fun would that be?

No set in stone "rule" I've ever heard of. Usually just by Gentlemen's agreement. If I see somebody at the cache from a distance I will wait until they are done and then start my search but a few times I have abruptly come upon somebody sitting with the cache and then we share polite conversation and I sign the log too unless the first cacher objects. Only happend 3 times in 503 caches found. I rarely see others on the trail.

The only time I have ever met another geocacher while finding a geocache, I walked up to the two geocachers and the gentlemen handed it to me. I decided to keep going up the trail, because they had seen me and I them. I am actually thankful that they handed it to me, because the geocache was located on a steep incline (that I didn't know about beforehand) and I had a baby strapped to the front of me. I would have gotten it anyway, but it was nice that they were there!

Edited by Want2bemore

The only time I have ever met another geocacher while finding a geocache, I walked up to the two geocachers and the gentlemen handed it to me. I decided to keep going up the trail, because they had seen me and I them. I am actually thankful that they handed it to me, because the geocache was located on a steep incline (that I didn't know about beforehand) and I had a baby strapped to the front of me. I would have gotten it anyway, but it was nice that they were there!

Lol, I'd like to see that! What would you leave the baby at the top of the hill? lol

Well I was talkin if you don't know the next cacher ((s)he's a stranger)

In groups, usualy one of us will find it, then we all sl.

So are you saying the other person is a geocacher? or isn't a geocacher? or that you don't know??? :ph34r:

Well, if I'm sitting there holding the cache, then they'll have to close their eyes so they don't see where I put it back. I would at at least offer them the option to sign the log. They can decide for themselves. I wouldn't care either way.

So are you saying the other person is a geocacher? or isn't a geocacher? or that you don't know??? :ph34r:

well since I called him seccond cacher, I was assuming he was a cacher. But as you stated.. You never do know. they could be holding a cellphone and playing a good con :ph34r:

I've met cachers in the field a couple of different times. It was easy to tell they were cachers because of the GPSr and the lost look on their face. :ph34r:

If they walk right up and see you with the cache I don't see why you shouldn't hand it to 'em. If they don't approach you, you might asked them if their looking for it and if they want you to put back for them to find.

One one occasion I went to check on one of my caches, and met a cacher hunting for it. I approached him and introduced myself and then just watch. After he found it, we had a good talk.

In my opinion, this is more an issue with the second person than the finder.

If you wander up on ground zero and another cacher is looking for the cache, you basically have two options: back off until the other person is finished (in which case this is a moot issue because your no longer there) or aid in the search (if the person is willing to have you. If you chose to aid in the search, they are likely to hand you the cache (or log).

When I just started caching out in San Diego, it was like maybe my 10th find I stumbled across another cacher, this was in a public area and I saw him in the direction I needed to head, so I decided I might as well walk up there and when I got up there he moved away when I got close to the coordinates, so I asked if he is looking for something and he is like yeah and we then found it together. I mean if the guy is right there might as well give it to him.

Not sure if this is a big issue, I am also unsure what you mean, find a cache, second cacher finds first cacher at site, gets handed cache and first cacher leaves. Usually the timing is never on for this to happen, meeting going to or leaving the cache and even then, meeting other cachers on the trail is still rare but lately has become more frequent as things pick up around my local caching area. I think I have only stumbled upon 1 cacher with cache in hand and been caught once by another cacher (irate land managers don't count). If searching for the cache, we usually join forces to try to find a difficult to find cache, there are a few here that eludes everyone. This past weekend, we approached a cache location and found 2 other cachers already looking, told them my theory as this was a repeat visit for myself and we proceeded to continue looking together. After a bit, 3 more arrived and we all looked but still the 7 of us could not find it. The cache was then verified to be missing by the cache owner the next day :ph34r: At this point it became more about interacting with other cachers, trading stories and making friendships more then the cache as it seems any time we meet other cachers on the trail. We have also done the distraction as another rehides that hard to find cache so we could watch and taunt, geocaching has given us more then numbers of finds, we have met many new people we consider good friends through this hobby and is worth more then the smiley we get.

Heh, some cool storys here :ph34r:

My main concern was if cacher A who found the cache before cacher B shows up. if cacher A gives cacher B the cache and leaves, how will cacher B know where to place it?

The reason I ask is cause it's happend to a friend, they didn't think of the hiding place when they were handed the cache, Cacher A left. When they went to place the cache back in it's hiding spot they realized they didn't know where it came from. They put it back as best they could according to the hint, turns out they were wrong, but close enuff.

My main concern was if cacher A who found the cache before cacher B shows up. if cacher A gives cacher B the cache and leaves, how will cacher B know where to place it?

The reason I ask is cause it's happend to a friend, they didn't think of the hiding place when they were handed the cache, Cacher A left. When they went to place the cache back in it's hiding spot they realized they didn't know where it came from. They put it back as best they could according to the hint, turns out they were wrong, but close enuff.

Then this would be a problem with cacher A, when caught or catching(sic), we usually stayed until the cache was rehidden or made sure we knew where the cache was (usually the other cacher will stay and rehide the cache). I have enough of a hard time remembering where I found the cache in the excitement of finding it when rehiding it that I don't want to have to guess. Heck, I have had a hard time finding a cache I hid when checking up after a DNF, old age and senility, getting the senility out of the way first :ph34r:

Edited by Shawn&Holly

Then this would be a problem with cacher A, when caught or catching(sic), we usually stayed until the cache was rehidden or made sure we knew where the cache was (usually the other cacher will stay and rehide the cache). I have enough of a hard time remembering where I found the cache in the excitement of finding it when rehiding it that I don't want to have to guess. Heck, I have had a hard time finding a cache I hid when checking up after a DNF, old age and senility, getting the senility out of the way first :o

Lol, yeah I agree, Definate communication break there. But reguardless. I still think I'd rather re-hide the cache than just hand it over.. I don't care if the cacher B watched me re-hide.

I know what you meen about forgetting where to re-hide, I haven't had it happen, but I've been close! there was lots of snow here a few weeks back, some caches you had to dig for :ph34r: When the snow was just starting to fall, I grabbed a cache, and noticed it was a bit damp, and my car was parked 20 - 30 ft away so I brought it into my car to "warm" it up or try and dry it out a bit. When I went to replace the cache (half an hour later) there was half an inch of snow on the ground and it was hard to see anything!, but I found the spot after about 2 mins of lookin :huh:

Usually, I ask (or am asked) 'Would you like me to rehide it, so you can find it?' It's probably happened ten or fifteen times. Usually, the answer is 'No. It's okay.' I've had a few cachers go wandering off until I've found and rehidden.

Once we were searching for fifteen minutes, and some walked over and said "I've got it in my hand. I'll rehide it if you want." "No, that's okay." "Okay. It goes right here." But the best was a ten minute search. We hear a voice in the distance: "You're not going to find it." "Hunh?" A family from Texas visiting the city. They were enjoying watching us hunt, but felt sorry for us after ten minutes. :ph34r:

Heh, some cool storys here :unsure:

We always play by the 'rule' that the person who found it is the one that puts it back. So with you scenario I would have handed them the cache however I would have stayed there and put it back when they were done with it.

Everyone plays it different.

The wife and I were out caching at night showing a friend what caching was. As we were finishing up I see a couple of flashlights coming our way so I re-stash the cache and we start walking away and one of the approaching people asks, "Did you find it?"

I laugh and say we did and as we leave they start searching & after we were a little ways away one of them yells back "How about a hint?"

I had noticed they were looking along the ground when the cache was about 6 feet up, so I call back "A lot higher" and a few minutes later a distance shout as they found it.

Gotta love cachers.