Handheld GPS and 2-way radio combo

snhrph

The Rino line is GMRS which is only useful if you have somebody with you that is also using GMRS or if you're fortunate enough to find somebody monitoring the frequency.

Also keep in mind that the range estimates are very generous. To get the range that is advertised you have to be on flat land with no trees, hills or buildings in the way. There are no repeaters that I know of that use GMRS so you're out of luck if you can't get a signal out to somebody that is listening. I would only rely on GMRS for short range comm with team members not for emergency comm.

You might want to take a look at the "GPS and HAM Radio" forum. Getting your ticket is easy and cheap.

Stan,

Check out this site: http://www.hello-radio.org/

Keep in mind that radios that function outside of the amature bands are less likely to be useful to you. I strongly doubt that anybody is monitoring the marine bands in Kansas or anywhere else not near a large body of water.

Check out the Dual band HTs made by Icom, Yaesu and Kenwood. They are made for hikers and outdoors people. They can tune across the band so you can hit repeaters in the area that you are hiking or caching in.

No they don't make them with the GPS integrated into them. But if one piece of equipment fails you still have the other to save your hide.

Also remember that the FCC requires you to have a license to use GMRS. It is about $80 per year if I recall correctly. I'm not sure what the fee is for the non-HAM VHF license.

Of course, all of this depends on your expectations and needs of the radio equipment.

The FCC did waive the licensing requirment for the Rinos if memory serves me well.

According to Garmin's website: "We are pleased to announce that the FCC has granted Garmin a waiver that allows the Rino series units to send position data on GMRS channels. In addition, Industry Canada has established a license-free GMRS service. Canadian Rino units now allow users access to GMRS channels. Position sending/polling is also allowed on Canadian GMRS channels. "

AFAI can tell you still have to have a license to broadcast on GMRS.

FYI Kenwood makes some radios that can interface with some Garmins to allow them to automatically broadcast their locations and, if received by a similarly equipped Kenwood/Garmin combo, the receiving Kenwood will update a waypoint in its connected Garmin.

So you get the Rhino functionality on the full amateur band.

GeoBC

FYI Kenwood makes some radios that can interface with some Garmins to allow them to automatically broadcast their locations and, if received by a similarly equipped Kenwood/Garmin combo, the receiving Kenwood will update a waypoint in its connected Garmin.

So you get the Rhino functionality on the full amateur band.

GeoBC

True. It's called APRS. It can be done with most HTs through the use of a TinyTrack interface by Byonics. But even better your location can be tracked on the Internet, not just by another Rino user.

The Rino line is GMRS

Make that FRS/GMRS and also be aware that you will need a license to use the GMRS frequencies in the radio.

I didn't metion the FRS band because it is even less capable than the GMRS band when it comes to emergency communications. But I guess something is better thatn nothing.

The Rino line is GMRS

Make that FRS/GMRS and also be aware that you will need a license to use the GMRS frequencies in the radio.

I didn't metion the FRS band because it is even less capable than the GMRS band when it comes to emergency communications. But I guess something is better thatn nothing.

Yea, FRS isn't the best, but sometimes... About three years ago there was a climber on Mt Stuart (WA state) that made an emergancy call on a FRS and was answered by a young girl in Granite Falls, over 100 miles away. She told her parents, who contacted the police and when his partners arrived at the trailhead to get help met the SAR team on the way in.

All that aside, the RINO wasn't meant for emergency communications, but to keep track of other units nearby. I use a pair for climbing teams - I bought them after a climb in whiteout on Mt Baker, sure would have helped keep us together. Use them for what they were designed for and they are wonderful. Trying them outside the design parameters will just lead to disappointment.

He wasn't asking about an emergency <_< All in all FRS and GMRS are pretty much useless unless the person you are talking to is very close (super close with FRS).

I agree gentlemen. Don't get me wrong, I believe that FRS/GMRS radios have a place (I own a pair of Motorolas) and are great for what they were designed for. But for a $25 book, a little bit of study, and a $14 or even free test you can be liscensed for ten years on the amature 70cm/2m bands and have a much better chance of having communication, through a repeater system, with a very sturdy radio (a well placed gas discharge would disable my Motorolas). A Yaesu FT-60 will run about $170. Not cheap, but neither is a Rino that has considerably less capability.

Plus you can be useful in an emergency in your community through ARES/RACES. This is an area that I want to get involved in amature radio.

Thank you all for your responses and insights.

I should have been more specific.

I'm looking for a hand-held waterproof GPS-Radio combo that will work with marine and Coast Guard frequencies and have a power of 10-15 miles.

I'm a scuba diver and, in light of recent tragedy in Egypt where divers from Russia and Holland were lost at sea in early January :( , decided to invest into a unit that I would be able to use in a pinch (hope to never need to use it). Goecaching also seems like a fun thing to do, especially since there are scuba-specific caches.

I understand that these units have only a limited pressure rating and plan to keep it in a waterproof container rated to a specific depth.

Uniden Mystic that Xlobsterman recommended seems to fit the bill.

How is the Mystic for street navigation?

Thanks again.

Uniden Mystic that Xlobsterman recommended seems to fit the bill.

How is the Mystic for street navigation?

Thanks again.

A quick search turned up this user review http://www99.epinions.com/UNIDEN___MYSTIC_..._Vhr_Marine_Gps

I know, I know... Google rules... :unsure:

There was only 1 review. I was looking for the insight from the forum members who had real experience with Uniden Mystic.

I know, I know... Google rules... :lol:

There was only 1 review. I was looking for the insight from the forum members who had real experience with Uniden Mystic.

I just wanted to point out that one review so you could see the limits it has on the maps that go in it.

Thanks, Team Dubbin. Got it. It will be mostly used at sea. I realize the limitations of the small screen and only being able to load one marine map at a time.

What's important for me is that it can pinpoint my location and summon help if needed.