Am I being unreasonable?

roveron

Several people couldn't find my multistage cache, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...31-4a071e992e6b

So I made two trips up to check on it. Actually 3 since the last find. Anyway, the last trip up I put in a Jeep TB as an incentive for people to return for the hunt. Someone who'd already found it went to the last stage and removed the TB, even before anyone had actually tried again. I'm sorta ticked off about it since I put the TB there to give those who couldn't find it another incentive. Am I being unreasonable to expect an experienced cacher to give others a chance?

Edited by roveron

Several people couldn't find my multistage cache, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...31-4a071e992e6b

So I made two trips up to check on it. Actually 3 since the last find. Anyway, the last trip up I put in a Jeep TB as an incentive for people to return for the hunt. Someone who'd already found it went to the last stage and removed the TB, even before anyone had actually tried again. I'm sorta ticked off about it since I put the TB there to give those who couldn't find it another incentive. Am I being unreasonable?

I put hours of work into a multi stage puzzle cache only to get a local cacher go straight to the cache take the first to find and the cache then disappeared there are to many cachers playing number game and not doing caches in the spirit they were meant to be done in. This has stopped me setting any more

Am I being unreasonable to expect an experienced cacher to give others a chance?

A little, I think. As long as the returning cacher logged it as a note, not as another find, I'd have said they were quite within their rights to do what they did. We don't all geocache in exactly the same way, and although they didn't do what you wanted them to, they were doing something that's generally accepted.

Am I being unreasonable to expect an experienced cacher to give others a chance?

A little, I think. As long as the returning cacher logged it as a note, not as another find, I'd have said they were quite within their rights to do what they did. We don't all geocache in exactly the same way, and although they didn't do what you wanted them to, they were doing something that's generally accepted.

I'd add, it looks a stunning cache, and were it slightly less than 4000 miles from home, one I'd love to try (especially as I'm sitting at work at a Land Rover plant, wishing I was somewhere more hilly). I suspect though, that it's the sort of cache that has an appeal that's limited to a relatively small number of cachers, and those that would and could do it will find it with or without a particular TB being planted there.

The goal of a TB is to move. Any cacher that can assist should do so. TBs make a poor incentive to get people to work on a cache.

Next time may just add a good piece of swag.

I'll pile on here and say yes you're being unreasonable. That TB does not belong to you so you have no right to expect it to be limited to your expectations.

Put some nice swag in as StarBrand says and then get royally ticked if a previous finder snatches it if you're so inclined.

Yes, I think you are being unreasonable. The TB sat in your cache for more than a month. It's not like the previous finder raced to get it out before anyone else had a chance. If I was a TB owner and someone had put my TB in a cache that is almost never found, I'd be happy that a previous finder rescued the bug.

I don't think that placing a TB in your cache is going to convince cachers to buy an AWD vehicle... if you place a cache that needs special equipement to be found, don't expect frequent visits.

Yes, I think you are being unreasonable. The TB sat in your cache for more than a month. It's not like the previous finder raced to get it out before anyone else had a chance. If I was a TB owner and someone had put my TB in a cache that is almost never found, I'd be happy that a previous finder rescued the bug.

Exactly. It was 6 weeks before the previous finder went and grabbed the TB.

Besides, unless you happen to be the owner of that TB, you can't expect to have any say about if it can leave or when.

Travel bugs are meant to travel, including Jeeps.

Try an un-activated coin or bug that the finder could keep for themselves.

The problem with that is a previous finder may still go right to the final to claim the goody.

I would have move the final slightly, and updated the previous stage. That way previous finders wouldn't know where the final was.

So I made two trips up to check on it. Actually 3 since the last find. Anyway, the last trip up I put in a Jeep TB as an incentive for people to return for the hunt. Someone who'd already found it went to the last stage and removed the TB, even before anyone had actually tried again. I'm sorta ticked off about it since I put the TB there to give those who couldn't find it another incentive. Am I being unreasonable?

I put hours of work into a multi stage puzzle cache only to get a local cacher go straight to the cache take the first to find and the cache then disappeared there are to many cachers playing number game and not doing caches in the spirit they were meant to be done in. This has stopped me setting any more

That's a bit unrealistic to EXPECT folks to do things YOUR way all the time. Letting go of your unrealistic expectations will help you enjoy caching more.

I am very happy when people post an experience EXACTLY how I intended. I don't get a single bit of heartburn when they don't.

Your cache looked interesting. I hope you reconsider hiding more. Perhaps, you should consider a better hiding spot rather than blaming the finder for the cache going missing.

Travel bugs are meant to travel, including Jeeps.

Try an un-activated coin or bug that the finder could keep for themselves.

The problem with that is a previous finder may still go right to the final to claim the goody.

I would have move the final slightly, and updated the previous stage. That way previous finders wouldn't know where the final was.

Put some nice swag in as StarBrand says and then get royally ticked if a previous finder snatches it if you're so inclined.

The goal of a TB is to move. Any cacher that can assist should do so. TBs make a poor incentive to get people to work on a cache.

Next time may just add a good piece of swag.

I'll pile on here and say yes you're being unreasonable. That TB does not belong to you so you have no right to expect it to be limited to your expectations.

ah, well said!