Unlocking LOC file

thumbs1

Here is the problem. I signed up for the premium membership so I could download the corrdinants ingr my computer and then transfer them to my Garmin Legend. First of all can this be done? I tried to download the corrdenants and save them on the computer. I am using Windows xp. It puts it in a LOCfile. I don't have any program that will open this file. How do I open this file and then transfer the corrdinants to my Legend?

I only have internet access at the library so it may take a few days to get back to you.

Thanks for the help

There are a few points to unpack here, so I will try to tease them apart.

Here is the problem. I signed up for the premium membership so I could download the corrdinants ingr my computer and then transfer them to my Garmin Legend.

It is not necessary to have a premium membership in order to download coordinates. You can do that as a non-paying member (from the cache listing, a page at a time, in .loc format).

It is necessary to have a premium membership if you want to:

* have the results of saved searches emailed to you (ie Pocket Queries)

* receive said PQs in .gpx format which contains extended info like hints, finds, etc.

First of all can this be done?

Yes, either in loc/gpx format from PQs, or page-by-page in .loc format.

I tried to download the corrdenants and save them on the computer.

I assume you are still downloaded the coords a page at a time from the cache listing.

I am using Windows xp. It puts it in a LOCfile. I don't have any program that will open this file.

How do I open this file and then transfer the corrdinants to my Legend?

EasyGPS is the usual tool for this.

I only have internet access at the library so it may take a few days to get back to you.

I assume you have a PC at home that you are bringing the files back to.

If things are the way I assume, here's how I would do it.

1. set up Pocket Queries, and have them delivered to whatever webmail account you've got

2. pick up the PQs at the library 1x/week or whatever, saving to floppy, thumbdrive, whatever

3. take them home and use EasyGPS to upload to your GPSr.

You don't want a LOC file you want to use Pocket Queries. On your main page for gc.com on the right side of the page is a box, scan down and find "Premium Features", under that is the link entitled "Build Pocket Queries".

Click this. On that page are links to understanding and generateing GPX file - (The ones you want) and the software you need to display and use them.

Spend some time on the pocket query information and see if you understand this, then if you still have questions - come back and ask.

You don't want a LOC file you want to use Pocket Queries.

Nitpick: the concepts "LOC" and "Pocket Query" are not mutually exclusive. You can receive your PQs in either .loc or .gpx format (and Palm eBook, as long as I'm nitpicking). I assume most people would choose gpx for the richer information set.

Ok I am not a computer wiz here just a user. I click the box next to the cache on the far right of the listing. I thought it would then make a file I could send to my gps. This is the only computer I have access to. I am on the road for the next two months. Can you give me a step by step way to take the info from the the site to the gps. Right now I am copying the info and saveing it to a note pad and then takeing the info off the notepad when I get back and hand loading it into the Legend. I thought I could mark the box on the cache and then load severial of them to the Legend at one time.

Thanks again for the help

I have looked all over and can't find the place to change the LOC file so I can download the corrdinants to my Legend GPS. I went to the home page and looked all the way down the right side and can't find the place to change the LOC to Pocket Queries. I found the place that tells me why I should become a premium member and how Pocket Queries is supposed to allow you to download to your gps but no instructions how to do it.

I have looked all over and can't find the place to change the LOC file so I can download the corrdinants to my Legend GPS. I went to the home page and looked all the way down the right side and can't find the place to change the LOC to Pocket Queries. I found the place that tells me why I should become a premium member and how Pocket Queries is supposed to allow you to download to your gps but no instructions how to do it.

I put the link to the Pocket Queries page in my message earlier. If you are a premium member, clicking on that link will take you where you want to go.

The link is in the sentence where I wrote "1. set up Pocket Queries, and have them delivered to whatever webmail account you've got".

To paraphrase my drill sergeant: I can link to it for you but I can't click it for you. :-)

If the only computer you have access to is at the library, you're out of luck. You can't add software to it, and you probably can't connect your GPS to it. Print the screen when you're on a cache page, and manually put the coordinates into your Legend. That's about the only choice you have without having access to your own computer.

For a free solution, get EasyGPS. It will take your .loc files and allow you to download them to your GPS. But you'll soon find it so neat that you'll want to pay for it's big brother Geobuddy. Go to www.easygps.com. I used the former and upgraded to the latter within one day to take advantage of the super topo and sat photo overlay info you get. Once you've tried Geobuddy, you'll like it. But if you want a freebie tool to handle your .loc files and get them into your GPS. EasyGPS is hard to beat.

loc and gpx files are simple text files and can be opened with Notepad or any text editor. <_< ImpalaBob

There are two different GPS-related .loc formats.

The GC one is xml and the original topographics (expertGPS?) one is binary. Editing a binary .loc in Notepad would likely be suboptimal.

Even editing TEXT (XML) is suboptimal if what you have in mind is getting them into your GPS. What EasyGPS does for me in that regard is handle the conversion from .loc to Garmin format and more importantly, the whole serial communication with the GPS. Being able to READ and EDIT the files is one thing. Getting them loaded into your GPS is another. I don't think the guy has hand entry of what he can read in the text file in mind. I'm assuming he wants an electronic transfer of the info into the device.

I wrote my BTGeoCacher software to use the GPX form (at least my stripped down version of it.) I only use the wpt, name, and cmt elements and I strip off the rest because it works Over The Air and most folks using the cell phone HTTP features pay by the amount transferred. I want to keep the byte count minimized. In my case I only need the waypoint, the coordinates and the BRIEF cache description. I don't want to pay for downloading the log entries and the other descriptive prose when they aren't really of much use in a cell phone setting. Displaying logs on a cell phone screen just isn't worth doing (IMHO). I just don't want to have to hand enter coordinates. I think that was the intent here. Even if you don't use the other features of EasyGPS, it will handle the job of commuinicating with your GPS nicely.

Edited by dpbabcock

What I am trying to do is to be able to transfer the coordenants from the cache locations listed here for my area or the ones I choose from my area electronicly to my Garmin Legend. I am kinda thinkin on hookin my Legend to my computer and clicking on the location corrdenants and have them loaded into the Legend. I was looking for a way to load the coordenants without haveing to hand load the number. Almost like a cut and past kinda thing.

What you are wanting to do will require software to be installed on the library computer.

You might be able to get GSAK, GPSBabel or EasyGPS to run from a thumbdrive. You will also need a serial cable to connect to your Legend or a usb cable if you have a Legendx model. Either way if the library has new computers you will need to have the USB drivers installed.

Good luck to you, check with your librarian and see if they will install some drivers for you.

Here's a link that might explain the process.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I have it now. Works exactly the way I wanted it to. Sure will be nice to print out the names and locations also. This way I really don't have to rename the caches on the gps just mark em off on the printout.

Thanks again to all

Ok I am able to load to my gps from the list of caches. Now I notice that the coordenants that are downloaded to the EASYGPS site are different than the ones on the original list. Funny though the coordenents on my gps match the originals from the list.

What is goin on here? Shouldn't they be the same?