Placing my first cache

lolynn

Hi

I am new to Geocaching. I got my GPS unit for Christmas and I am just getting to grips with it.

I have got to say that if I realised how much fun I would have 'going geocaching' I would have got into it sooner.

I went out New Years Eve and found my first cache and I was really pleased and got quite a buzz.

I have so far looked for 3 caches and found 2. The one I didn't find I have tried to find twice, a fortnight apart and I was quite frustrated, but I am going to try again - I will not be beaten.

I have been out today found a geocache and placed my own. I am quite excited to see how many people find it.

What a great pastime and a good way of keeping fit. It is also nice to get out during the winter months as although it is quite cold; you can wrap up against the weather but you get lovely bright crisp days.

Looking forward to speaking to fellow 'cachers' and picking up some helpful hints.

LoLynn (a newbie)

Hi

I am new to Geocaching. I got my GPS unit for Christmas and I am just getting to grips with it.

I have got to say that if I realised how much fun I would have 'going geocaching' I would have got into it sooner.

I went out New Years Eve and found my first cache and I was really pleased and got quite a buzz.

I have so far looked for 3 caches and found 2. The one I didn't find I have tried to find twice, a fortnight apart and I was quite frustrated, but I am going to try again - I will not be beaten.

I have been out today found a geocache and placed my own. I am quite excited to see how many people find it.

What a great pastime and a good way of keeping fit. It is also nice to get out during the winter months as although it is quite cold; you can wrap up against the weather but you get lovely bright crisp days.

Looking forward to speaking to fellow 'cachers' and picking up some helpful hints.

LoLynn (a newbie)

when you say you will not fail, thats how many say they get addicted B)

Just make sure you took the time to give accurate coordinates on your first hide. I just spent 7+ hours this weekend trying to find a 6-part multi-cache that I later found out was a 14-year old's first attempt at a multi. His first stage coordinates were 319-feet off! Only found this out after he reposted the coordinates after my first two attempts. Went out again today and finally located the 1st stage but then gave up on 2nd stage when his coordinates sent me off into heavily posted private property. Quite frustrating!

We just started after Christmas as well.... and how I wish I had gotten the GPS for my birthday last summer. It's gotten too cold now to take the kids out for regular outings! Argh!

So far, we've found 2 of the 5 we went for. THe other three were surrounded by people!

I can't wait to place one either. I know the perfect spot. :laughing:

I too have just been introduced to this after I confided my long bout of depression to a friend. Now I look forward to every day when I can get out there searching and I feel much better mentally and physically than I have for ages. I enjoy moving TB's around and updating the geocache website pages as well. So far, 17 searched for and 17 found, even if I had to visit some three times!

Thanks for all your replies and helpful hints.

I have since found a few more caches and placed another one.

I placed my first cache on the afternoon of the 28/02 and up until now I have had 4 visitors.

When I placed it I thought I would have to wait ages before somone came to log it, but the 1st one was the next day. I was well chuffed.

I am in the process of doing some labels up to stick on the front of my notebooks for my caches.

I am even considering hiding some microcaches (although probably not for a while yet)

I keep dragging my husband out on the weekend (who enjoys going walking, but is not particularly mad on geocaching) but I don't think he minds to much as he can see how much I enjoy it and it is getting us both fit!!

I am definately addicted :huh:

Edited by lolynn

I think part of my problem was my GPS software didn't work too well. I would stop, yet the lat and long would keep changing.

Chuck, this is normal. Inherent inaccuracies in handheld GPSr units create a realistic range of accuracy of about 30', although most manufacturers advertise about a 9' accuracy. Under perfect conditions, most units could probably obtain that 9' goal, but lots of caches are not hidden in areas which would qualify as perfect. Tree cover, buildings, even weather, can degrade the satalite signals. This signal degridation shows up as your reciever "moving".

A higher end GPSr will be less affected than a low end, although all are affected to some degree.