Explorist 500 uploading trouble

msubobcats

Have just gotten a 500, upgrading from a very old etrex. My first time trying to upload waypoints. I have downloaded MapSend lite, Manager, etc. I am able to get the waypoint from website and into MapSend.

My trouble is that neither mapSend or manager can detect my unit.

USB is attached to unit, and into computer and on USB file transfer in the GPS screen.

Just for kicks (and to just double-check) I also downloaded another file transfer application off the website, that software also could not detect my unit.

Thanks for the help...

Go Cats

Have just gotten a 500, upgrading from a very old etrex. My first time trying to upload waypoints. I have downloaded MapSend lite, Manager, etc. I am able to get the waypoint from website and into MapSend.

My trouble is that neither mapSend or manager can detect my unit.

USB is attached to unit, and into computer and on USB file transfer in the GPS screen.

Just for kicks (and to just double-check) I also downloaded another file transfer application off the website, that software also could not detect my unit.

Thanks for the help...

Go Cats

First, make sure its in file transfer mode again. To verify this, shut it off and repower it back on. I dont use mapsend for waypoints, i use the Geocache Manager, and it works well at this. If your 500 is in File transfer mode, your PC should recognize it, if not, it may be other issues.

Edited by cachenut06

I own a 500 and had problems when I first got it. I even called for help only to find out I had not attached the USB cord properly. Make sure the wire goes down over the battery not up like I had it. Fixed my problem quickly and my computer was able to communicate with the GPSr.

Hope that solves your problem.

I own a 500 and had problems when I first got it. I even called for help only to find out I had not attached the USB cord properly. Make sure the wire goes down over the battery not up like I had it. Fixed my problem quickly and my computer was able to communicate with the GPSr.

I have the Explorist 600 and cannot get the PC to recognize my GPSr either, and the cord is connected properly. In fact, there is no way to correctly connect it upside-down. (There's a flat spot on the cord side of the connector. I have to save my data to my SD card, then transfer things to the internal memory from that. It's an extra step but still alot easier than manually entering data.

not sure if the 500 and 600 are the same as the xl but the computer will see the my xl gps as a removable hard drive and you transfer files that way. saved to a location on the computer and drag and drop or save directly to the gps

I have the Explorist 600 and cannot get the PC to recognize my GPSr either, and the cord is connected properly. In fact, there is no way to correctly connect it upside-down. (There's a flat spot on the cord side of the connector. I have to save my data to my SD card, then transfer things to the internal memory from that. It's an extra step but still alot easier than manually entering data.

not sure if the 500 and 600 are the same as the xl but the computer will see the my xl gps as a removable hard drive and you transfer files that way. saved to a location on the computer and drag and drop or save directly to the gps

It's been frustrating, but you can ONLY transfer files to your explorist as a removable hard drive. Some file from different versions of mapsend don't work either, so I have to eport them, import them to mapsend lite, and then copy them to explorist. I just keep everything in a gpsr folder in my documents, and then hand upload everything when I am finished in the software.

I have been very disapointed with this though. This poor software support would be enough to keep me from

buying another Magellan gpsr.

I don't know of any other software I can use with this thing or I would switch.

I had the same problem with my Explorist 500 and it turned out to be my Antivirus software. I'm running windows XP and Zone alarm. I had to turn off my anti virus software and switch it off so it would not automaticly start on power up. Then restart my computer. With no anti virus software turned on the Magellan Geocache manager could see the GPS just fine and download to it. Once I knew that Zone alarm was my problem I sent an E-mail to them explaining my problem. They had me change some settings on Zone Alarm and that fixed the problem, I think I had to turn off the spysite blocking. Any way with that setting changed I can now run Zone Alarm and the Geocache Manager. Zone Alarm said they would fix this problem in the next version of software. Hope this helps