Mapping software for garmin 60csx

Not sure what your trying to do ..

If your trying to load and use memory Map maps on a 60CSX .. No way

If your running Memory map on a PC and want to use the 60 CSX to feed a location to the PC and have memory map display it .. That works - you can use the old NMEA serial port and a serial cable to the PC..never tried it with the USB

Edited by S&G.Davison

Many mapping programs are compatible with the 60CSX. That doesn't mean you can load the maps on the unit, onlyt that it will talk to the unit and you can transfer tracks, waypoints and routes between the unit and mapping software.

If you want maps on your unit, you'll need to use Garmin Mapsource maps. Well there is a way to load other maps, but it takes a fairly high level of technical know how, the maps might not work correctly and it may void your warranty.

I have read the garmin hype about Mapsource and Topo but the user interface on these are not as user friendly as Memory Map.However I can find no clear statement that Memory Map is compatible with the 60csx.Also are there any other options?Advice welcome.
I just recived my first GPS a Venture Cx, a friend sent me a small sample of the Topo USA maps so I could see how well a color topo was displayed. I am VERY impressed, both by the level of detail and the user interface. Your 60CSx ought to be better with a larger display and different buttons.

Clearly I have no other GPS experience as a comparison, but I do own DeLorme's 3D Topo Quads for Colorado. So if you want to talk poor GUI, DeLorme is the poster child.

Putting my money where my mouth is, I will be purchasing a copy of Mapsource Topo USA within the next few days.

Hermit

Essentially,what I was trying to achieve was to have the memory map view on the 60csx and navigate accordingly.In my car,for example,the map is read from the dvd and the display quite accurately represents where you are.It seems from your replies that this may be possible if I buy the SD card for area I wish to visit?If this is the case then it would probably be garmin specific and would I be correct in assuming that it would be a Mapsource product?

Essentially,what I was trying to achieve was to have the memory map view on the 60csx and navigate accordingly.In my car,for example,the map is read from the dvd and the display quite accurately represents where you are.It seems from your replies that this may be possible if I buy the SD card for area I wish to visit?If this is the case then it would probably be garmin specific and would I be correct in assuming that it would be a Mapsource product?
I'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to achieve. Are you planning to use the 60CSx a car nav aid? While I believe the 60CSx is as accurate and any consumer GPSr on the market, car nav is not its primary mission. Small display and no voice instruction.

In my use of the Venture Cx, I set waypoints on a hike on Wed. and I uploaded the map on Thur. Each waypoint was shown on the map precisely where I'd placed them, I was VERY impressed. Your 60CSx should be at least as accurate, likely more so especially in weak signal conditions.

Yes, Mapsource is Garmin's tradename for its map products.

HTH

Hermit

I have read the garmin hype about Mapsource and Topo but the user interface on these are not as user friendly as Memory Map.However I can find no clear statement that Memory Map is compatible with the 60csx.Also are there any other options?Advice welcome.

Garmin units (handheld outdoor types) have always been and probably will always remain Garmin specific. Memory map 's maps have never been compatible with Garmin. This has long been a argument. However, as I have a new 60CsX I use the MapSource Topo (UK) and am reasonably impressed with the level of detail. With regard to value for money, Garmin are more expensive and their maps are not as detailed as the Memory Maps.

(I am using the example of the MapSource Topo UK (i think based on OS 1:50 Land Ranger Maps) vs Memory Map 1:50k UK Topo CD's) and have noticed Memory maps version include most of what u would see on a OS 1:50 Land Ranger Map paper map (from what i can tell).

Edited by stingray67

If you want to display a map on your 60CSx screen, you must use one of the Garmin Mapsource products: City Navigator for street navigation, TOPO for topographic, etc. In this mode, you download the map segments you are interested in from your PC to the 60CSx via USB connection. You can only load Garmin products on to the GPS unless you "hack" your own maps as Briansnat mentioned. There are threads on the forum to get you started on this. Unless you are very computer savy, I would suggest using one of the Garmin map products first and get some field experience with it to better understand its capabilities and limitations before attempting the "user made" maps. User made maps can not be used to auto-nav, you must use a Garmin navigating map set.

The 60CSx with City Navigator is a GREAT tool and works wonderfully for auto navigation. I am a frequent business traveler and take my 60CSx with me always.

You can also use your 60CSx as a receiver and have it display your position on 3rd party mapping software on your PC. I used my old GPS V in this way. I used Delorme Streets and Trips on my laptop strapped to the center console in the car, and connected the GPS to the PC via serial cable. The GPS provided my location and the Delorme software displayed the maps on the PC and did the turn by turn directions.

You can also use 3rd party software to display information that your GPS collects after you get back home. I am an avid day hiker and kayaker. I use my GPS to record my tracks when I am out and I record waypoints at features of interest as I go along. At the end of the day I upload the tracks and waypoints from the GPS to my laptop where I can display them on Mapsource or on other mapping packages from National Geographic, Google Earth, Topofusion and others. This makes up my own electronic "diary" of my travels. You can also download tracks and waypoints from these 3rd party software packages to your GPS.

Obviously there are many options. It would be helpful if you can express the problem you are trying to solve with your GPS, then others can suggest options that can help you solve that problem.

Based on what you have posted so far, I get the sense you want to auto-route on the GPS while driving and be able to up/down load waypoints between the GPS and your computer. If that is the case, I suggest getting CN NT (since it is the only auto-routing option available to you) and try it out for a few months until you are comfortable with it and better understand it. Then you can think about the next step.

Hope this is helpful and happy tracking!