Palm Suggestion

shawnIN

I have the Palm Tungsten T (not the T2) and it works beautifully. Color screen is very nice plus mine has the ability to play MP3's. It has a poor built-in speaker and a headphone jack so you can listen to tunes while caching. With its SD card slot, I can carry as many caches (and music) as I wish with room to spare.

Only issue I've had with mine is losing the stylus. The stylus on this model is in a little silo (tube) built into the top. I think it's supposed to be held in by a little magnet. But whatever it is sure isn't very strong. Turn the palm upside-down and stylus drops right out.

I ended up investing in a regular pen that has a built-in stylus. Turn the end one direction and get the pen. Turn it the other way and get the stylus. Works nicely. Not a bad idea to have a pen with you anyway while caching in case the cache doesn't have one.

Whatever model you decide on, invest in a hard case. My first PDA had a leather case and it worked very nicely. This one has a metal case that really protects it well.

I got this PDA used on eBay with lots of accessories and software for about $80. I bought my previous Palm on eBay also (it's a Palm M500) for well under $100. My dad just recently got a Palm M500 for $30 on eBay. If you look around enough and you're a bit patient you'll find a great deal.

I have the Palm Tungsten T (not the T2) and it works beautifully. Color screen is very nice plus mine has the ability to play MP3's. It has a poor built-in speaker and a headphone jack so you can listen to tunes while caching. With its SD card slot, I can carry as many caches (and music) as I wish with room to spare.

Only issue I've had with mine is losing the stylus. The stylus on this model is in a little silo (tube) built into the top. I think it's supposed to be held in by a little magnet. But whatever it is sure isn't very strong. Turn the palm upside-down and stylus drops right out.

I ended up investing in a regular pen that has a built-in stylus. Turn the end one direction and get the pen. Turn it the other way and get the stylus. Works nicely. Not a bad idea to have a pen with you anyway while caching in case the cache doesn't have one.

Whatever model you decide on, invest in a hard case. My first PDA had a leather case and it worked very nicely. This one has a metal case that really protects it well.

I got this PDA used on eBay with lots of accessories and software for about $80. I bought my previous Palm on eBay also (it's a Palm M500) for well under $100. My dad just recently got a Palm M500 for $30 on eBay. If you look around enough and you're a bit patient you'll find a great deal.

I have a tungsten e i got for 45 on ebay, but i got a heck of a deal. The headphone jack and speaker didnt work on it. I got it, opened it up, what was wrong was the prongs for the speaker got bent straight so they werent making contact with the board, so bent them back and the speaker works great. The headphone jack solder broke loose, causing it not to work, so i resoldered it. Total cost of repair was .25 cents at the most. I got a 40 dollar discout because of this. Look for deals, theyre out there.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the Palm TE2. Does anyone use this? I'll be using it for other things also and the color screen and expandabilit looks nice to have.

I just got the Tungsten E2 and used it for the first time over the weekend this past weekend. I'll never go back to my cache pages again! 200 caches into my GPSr and ALL the pages plus the last 3 logs for each cache into the Palm in about 3 minutes! The E2 is a nice unit and I also have a wi-fi card on the way for it. Incidentally, the TX with wi-fi costs a bit more than the E2 and a wi-fi. I bought my Palm on CircuitCity.com for $149 after a $50 rebate and a Palm brand wi-fi card at Gizmos2go.com for $60. (They go for $99 on Palm.com)

I considered the Zire 72 as well, but there were a few things about it that did not suit me. Trust me, I will research a purchase for DAYS before I pull the trigger and I feel strongly that I made a good choice with the E2. If you're comfortable buying a used unit and saving a few bucks, keep in mind that you won't have any warranty if you buy used.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the Palm TE2. Does anyone use this? I'll be using it for other things also and the color screen and expandabilit looks nice to have.

I just got the Tungsten E2 and used it for the first time over the weekend this past weekend. I'll never go back to my cache pages again! 200 caches into my GPSr and ALL the pages plus the last 3 logs for each cache into the Palm in about 3 minutes! The E2 is a nice unit and I also have a wi-fi card on the way for it. Incidentally, the TX with wi-fi costs a bit more than the E2 and a wi-fi. I bought my Palm on CircuitCity.com for $149 after a $50 rebate and a Palm brand wi-fi card at Gizmos2go.com for $60. (They go for $99 on Palm.com)

I considered the Zire 72 as well, but there were a few things about it that did not suit me. Trust me, I will research a purchase for DAYS before I pull the trigger and I feel strongly that I made a good choice with the E2. If you're comfortable buying a used unit and saving a few bucks, keep in mind that you won't have any warranty if you buy used.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone know if the Palm Z22 will work geocaching? I'm a noob also and thinking paperless will be the way to go. Here is a link to one on Circuit City. Thanks for any help!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Palm-Z22-Ha...roductDetail.do

About six months ago I picked up a Palm IIIxe for about $15 total and it works great. But with many eBay sellers now charging $15 for shipping and auctions for their used Palm IIIxe going for around $15 - $25, I would much rather pickup a new Palm Z22 for $99 than buy a questionalble used Palm for $30 - $40 total.

Does anyone know if the Palm Z22 will work geocaching? I'm a noob also and thinking paperless will be the way to go. Here is a link to one on Circuit City. Thanks for any help!

About six months ago I picked up a Palm IIIxe for about $15 total and it works great. But with many eBay sellers now charging $15 for shipping and auctions for their used Palm IIIxe going for around $15 - $25, I would much rather pickup a new Palm Z22 for $99 than buy a questionalble used Palm for $30 - $40 total.

[/quote

That's how I feel about it also. I've never owned a pda of any sort so I have no idea what does what.

Just last week I bought a Zire 31 from eBay....new in original packaging for ~$50. Very similar to Z22 in that it has the low-res (160x160) color screen. Mine has less internal memory (Z31 16mb, Z22 32mb) but does have an SD slot and supports MP3. The reason I chose the Z31 was the SD slot; 500 caches use several mb on the card, but using Cachemate's data card support I see every detail with only 180k loaded on the internal memory.

Make sure you look at the actual units and compare screen resolution. The low-res does just fine for me now, but I'm sure it'll become a pain when I get a little older and my eyesight isn't as good.

Just last week I bought a Zire 31 from eBay....new in original packaging for ~$50. Very similar to Z22 in that it has the low-res (160x160) color screen. Mine has less internal memory (Z31 16mb, Z22 32mb) but does have an SD slot and supports MP3. The reason I chose the Z31 was the SD slot; 500 caches use several mb on the card, but using Cachemate's data card support I see every detail with only 180k loaded on the internal memory.

Make sure you look at the actual units and compare screen resolution. The low-res does just fine for me now, but I'm sure it'll become a pain when I get a little older and my eyesight isn't as good.

I have a Zire 31 also. It does everything I wanted it to do. I even listen to music with it. But, My only complaint is that It's almost imposible to see the screen in daylight. I have to cover myself with whatever I have, shirt, coat or crawl under my truck to get some shade. It's very frustrating.

Wrench, have you turned up the brightness to full? It still won't be really readable, but it will help. All color screens I have seen have this problem. That's another reason I use my old M105 for caching. Greyscale screens are much more visible in sunlight. Color doesn't really help for reading cache descriptions. PDAs weren't designed for use out in the sunlight and mud in the first place.

Wrench, have you turned up the brightness to full? It still won't be really readable, but it will help. All color screens I have seen have this problem. That's another reason I use my old M105 for caching. Greyscale screens are much more visible in sunlight. Color doesn't really help for reading cache descriptions. PDAs weren't designed for use out in the sunlight and mud in the first place.

Thanks NightPilot, Why didn't I think of that! I went to "Display Options" and it was set in the middle. I cranked it to Max and I really belive this will help. I'll have to check it tommrow since it's 5pm right now and in Montana, that's just about sundown this time of year. But I did go outside and put it back at midpoint and screen was hard to see, then set it at max and much better! Thank you for the help, It may just cut down my curse words in half! Not really. only curse when really needed

Edited by Wrench&Wench

I have an old Palm Vx, but never figured out a convenient way to use it for caching- I was using my Legend and printing out pages- worked ok.

I just inherited a tungsten T3 and also a TomTom PalmOne Nav system- haven't figured out how to make them work. Would love some tips and suggestions so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Anybody got anything?

Thanks in advance- Charlotte

Get Cachemate, get GSAK, and you're set. GSAK runs on the PC, and will open the .zip files you get from geocaching.com as pocket queries. Once you have imported the caches into GSAK, then send the waypoints to your Legend, then click on the Cachemate icon in the toolbar to send the caches to a Cachemate file. You can have it ready to hotsync on your Vx, or on your T3, or both. It's easier to use an SD card with a card reader, and generate the Cachemate file directly to the card, into the /Cachemate folder on it (you'll have to make that folder yourself). There are other ways, but that's the quick, easy way.

As for the TomTom system, does it include a GPS, or just software? if both, then all you have to do is connect the GPS to the T3, and run Tomtom. Do you have the TomTom maps? If not, then TomTom is worthless. It does nothing without maps.