Logging request for Cache

Syndam

I'm planning on placing my first Urban Cache. It is going to be a small ammo can with simple trade items. Difficulty 2, Terrain 2.

Anyway, in an attempt to keep it from turning into a complete geocrap can I would like to require that in order to post the cache as "Found It" the Geocaher must state specifically what they traded in the Geocaching.com Log. If there is no trade a "TNLN" is perfectly acceptable. This also lets other cachers know what to expect when they find it. Hopefully they can expect it to not be full of trash. The cache is on my route to work so, at a minimum, it will get checked weekly.

So my question is; If it is stated in the Cache description that you must specifically state what was traded in the log entry, would it be OK to remove "Found It" log entries that did not follow this requirement? Or would this be bad form?

From what I've seen so far;

Took Trinket, Left Trinket = Took $3 flashlight, Left broken toy my kid no longer wanted

I think its bad form to remove legit found it logs. I'm also not crazy about ALR (additional logging requirement) caches.

Its your cache to do as you please, but deleting logs will do nothing but create bad blood. If you're willing to risk that over a few trinkets, go ahead.

Degradation of cache contents is a sad fact of geocaching life. As a cache owner you're best off accepting that and dealing with it, either by re-stocking your cache from time to time, or letting it take its natural course.

Yes you can do it. But if you do, you are stuck enforcing it. It's not fun for you, and it's not fun for the finders. Expect less finds, and expect to be annoyed by annoying emails from annoyed finders, annoyed from having their logs annoyingly deleted.

As an aside I've had the occasional cache move from McCrap to good swag though mostly it's vice versa.

One man's junk is another man's treasure. Broken toy to you - fond memories of a gently used toy from yesteryear to another. I know some people are well aware of the trade down but others place a perceived value on items that you just can't understand. Trade up or trade even yourself and set an example for others. Ask that trades be fair on the listing page - about all you can do.

A find is a find --- just because you didn't like the trade - no reason to delete a log.

Thanks for your opinions on this. I have seen a few posts that talked about logging requirements and thought this might be a reasonable idea, I can now see that the idea is flawed. I hadn't really thought about it on the simple level of "A find is a find" regardless of what else has taken place.

Thanks again

J

Yes you can do it. But if you do, you are stuck enforcing it. It's not fun for you, and it's not fun for the finders. Expect less finds, and expect to be annoyed by annoying emails from annoyed finders, annoyed from having their logs annoyingly deleted.

Yep.

Since its about your cache, you can do such things. But remember, not everyone will be pleased, and you now have to enforce your rules.

I do try remember what I left and took, but if we are hunting a number of caches that day, it gets difficult to remember. Sometimes I write down the trade details on a paper, but often I forgot what I traded.

Also... some people take one item, and leave several items of a total value that may be similar to the one item... do you still consider that trading up, or down? The total value may be the same, but on an individual basis, each item left is of less value for the next person to trade for. Opinion?