W7WT & XYL found a micro for number 1600

W7WT

Yes, the old man and his lovely wife found number 1600. Should have it had it last year but haven't done much caching since December 7th. Yes, and it was a micro but in a location that means a lot to me. The cache is Road Side with a View by captsteiny. When WWII ended we left Okinawa in the USS Poseidon, ARL-12 and went to Pearl, then SD, then came up here. We offloaded ammunition to a barge on the East side of Blake Island and then moored to a buoy just off this view point. Later we moved to the pier which is still there and used by the Salmon rearing place. With the Olympics in the background and the smoke rising from the neat cottages on the beach it was a grand site for a young Naval Officer from a farm in Southern Illinois. Right then I declared, someday I am coming back to live in this area. And we did in 1959. It may only be a micro in a park and grab location, but the view and memories meant a lot to me. Dick & Arlene

Sorry, I meant to put this in the milestone topic. Since I can't delete it, guess I will just leave it.

Edited by W7WT

Mr. W7WT and Mrs. W7WT... Congrats & thank you.

What a great defination of Geocaching.

So many times I read about complaints or people pointing their fingers.... but to have a rewarding experience with memories and being able to share that, I am glad I read your post.

Looking forward to meeting you both someday.

SilentNW

Congratulations on the milestone, Dick.

It sure is great that a simple geocache can bring up such a great memory. Thanks for sharing. (But the story would be slightly better if you had been from Wisconsin. Oh well, no one's perfect.)

Thanks Bull, I was thinking about taking up dual citizenship with Wisconsin but with all the bad mouthing they are getting for questionable logging of caching, I have put it on hold.

I must say they sure know how to brew beer and are expert in the making of brats and cheese. I been wonder about what you are up to. Are you a lawyer yet? Dick

Edited by W7WT

Yes, the old man and his lovely wife found number 1600. Should have it had it last year but haven't done much caching since December 7th. Yes, and it was a micro but in a location that means a lot to me. The cache is Road Side with a View by captsteiny. When WWII ended we left Okinawa in the USS Poseidon, ARL-12 and went to Pearl, then SD, then came up here. We offloaded ammunition to a barge on the East side of Blake Island and then moored to a buoy just off this view point. Later we moved to the pier which is still there and used by the Salmon rearing place. With the Olympics in the background and the smoke rising from the neat cottages on the beach it was a grand site for a young Naval Officer from a farm in Southern Illinois. Right then I declared, someday I am coming back to live in this area. And we did in 1959. It may only be a micro in a park and grab location, but the view and memories meant a lot to me. Dick & Arlene

Sorry, I meant to put this in the milestone topic. Since I can't delete it, guess I will just leave it.

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing that great story, Dick!

It's all about locations, and whether that memory was brought up by a micro or an ammo box, truly doesn't matter!

Cheers,

Daniel