Is Member "Joined Date" Player Editable?

Gator Man

Here is a question for TPTB. Is the member "Joined Date" field editable by players? A few months ago, I sorted ALL MEMBERS by JOINED DATE, and found myself on Page 750, or somewhere around member number 7,500, joined March 29, 2002. Today, just for giggles, I did it again, and found myself on page 825, or somewhere around member number 8,250, still joined 29 March, 2002.

Not that it matters, but where did all the players come from that now apparently have Joined Dates earlier than mine?

Here is a question for TPTB. Is the member "Joined Date" field editable by players? A few months ago, I sorted ALL MEMBERS by JOINED DATE, and found myself on Page 750, or somewhere around member number 7,500, joined March 29, 2002. Today, just for giggles, I did it again, and found myself on page 825, or somewhere around member number 8,250, still joined 29 March, 2002.

Not that it matters, but where did all the players come from that now apparently have Joined Dates earlier than mine?

Not sure where you came up with that. No the dates are not editable by players, and it looks to me like 47,469 users have joined before you.

I think it is tied to your geocaching.com account, if a member has never visited the forums then they don't have a forum account. If they then visit the forums after a few years, their join date is tied to the join date of their geocaching account and not when they first visited the forums. Might be what you are seeing.

Edited by Shawn&Holly

I'm assuming that you sorted the member list here in the forums. There are many accounts on GC.com that have never entered the forums and therefore would not be on that list. Again, I assume about 750 people who joined GC.com before you have joined the forums since your first search.

MOPAR,

I clicked on MEMBERS in the upper right hand screen area, then scrolled down and sorted ALL MEMBERS by JOINED DATE in ASCENDING ORDER with 10 results per page. It lists all 199K members, whether they have ever posted to the forums or not.

GM

Ahh. That's only FORUM members, not members of geocaching.com. Like was mentioned above, GC.com users are not automatically registered on the forums. That's probably because they are hosted on different servers. So, a GC.com member does not become a forum member until they actually visit the forums (even if they don't post). Their "join date" is the date they joined GC.com, not the date they first logged into the forums. So what you are seeing is people that registered on GC.com before you, but their first visit to the forums was after yours. For the record, you are the 47,470th person to join geocaching.com.

There are almost 1 million user accounts on GC.com, and less then 200k have ever even looked at the forums.

Edited by Mopar

MOPAR,

I clicked on MEMBERS in the upper right hand screen area, then scrolled down and sorted ALL MEMBERS by JOINED DATE in ASCENDING ORDER with 10 results per page. It lists all 199K members, whether they have ever posted to the forums or not.

GM

:huh: I think thats only telling you those that have logged into the forums. If you look at the the members from gc.com there are more than 960k accounts (and growing)

MOPAR,

GM

:huh: I think thats only telling you those that have logged into the forums. If you look at the the members from gc.com there are more than 960k accounts (and growing)

Ummmmm, how do I do that? Your link just sent me to a player profile.

MOPAR,

GM

Take a look at the URL of that link:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?ID=962000

The ID numbers are assigned sequentially

MOPAR,

GM

Take a look at the URL of that link:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?ID=962000

The ID numbers are assigned sequentially

Exactly :huh:

The account that signed up right after http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?ID=962000,

will be http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?ID=962001,

the one after that http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?ID=962002, then.... 962003, 962004, 962005, and so on.

. . .There are almost 1 million user accounts on GC.com, and less then 200k have ever even looked at the forums.

Sadly, the vast majority of those near-million accounts at gc.com are merely my sock puppet accounts. sigh! :huh:

The reality is that gc.com has only about 88 users, but 50% of us own 40,000 or more sock puppet accounts each, one for each of our multiple personalities. :huh:

:huh:

. . .There are almost 1 million user accounts on GC.com, and less then 200k have ever even looked at the forums.

Sadly, the vast majority of those near-million accounts at gc.com are merely my sock puppet accounts. sigh! :huh:

The reality is that gc.com has only about 88 users, but 50% of us own 40,000 or more sock puppet accounts each, one for each of our multiple personalities. :huh:

:huh:

Yes, counting my sock puppet accounts, I REALLY own over 500K caches. How's THAT for a FIND/HIDE ratio??? (I know, off-topic)