Jeep Contest Winner: Are You Kidding?

x_Marks_the_spot

I don't know if anyone else has seen this and is as irked by it as I am, but I'm a little bit confused by the August winner's picture in light of the contest rules. Here is an excerpt from the official rules (italics my own):

Photograph Specifications: While the photo may be taken digitally or on film, only digital submissions will be accepted, so if a photo is taken on film it must be converted to a digital format for submission. For submission, the photograph must be in JPEG (.jpg) or TIFF (.tiff) format, cannot exceed 4 MB in size, and cannot have been manipulated, for example but not limited to, brightness or hue or contrast adjusted, sharpened or cropped, enhanced, morphed, or retouched (in any manner whatsoever).

And here is the winning picture:

45d29655-6d7a-42b3-a4eb-a2d6195590ed.jpg

So ... what am I to think of this?

I don't know if anyone else has seen this and is as irked by it as I am, but I'm a little bit confused by the August winner's picture in light of the contest rules. Here is an excerpt from the official rules (italics my own):

Photograph Specifications: While the photo may be taken digitally or on film, only digital submissions will be accepted, so if a photo is taken on film it must be converted to a digital format for submission. For submission, the photograph must be in JPEG (.jpg) or TIFF (.tiff) format, cannot exceed 4 MB in size, and cannot have been manipulated, for example but not limited to, brightness or hue or contrast adjusted, sharpened or cropped, enhanced, morphed, or retouched (in any manner whatsoever).

Looks to me that they just put the jeep and a model shuttle on a poster with a sticker of the Groundspeak logo. Of course, I cannot tell for sure. If that is all they did and took a picture, it seems to me to be within the rules.

Looks to me that they just put the jeep and a model shuttle on a poster with a sticker of the Groundspeak logo. Of course, I cannot tell for sure. If that is all they did and took a picture, it seems to me to be within the rules.

Ditto, I don't see the problem.

Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes to me.

Thank you Lil Elephants you got it right.

Sadly there always has to be someone out there to come up with the idea that there is cheating going on.

There is NO photoshopping in our picture. I repeat NO photoshopping.

The GC.com symbol was printed on a mailing label and stuck on the earth picture and the shuttle and GJTB with a 1/4 “ socket under it for the tilt were positioned on top of the earth picture and the winning photo was taken, not that technical it was done in a matter of minutes. I can't believe we have to explain this. What a shame!! Apologies will be gladly accepted though.

Sheeshhh

4c3e0fe4-244c-455f-9293-02623ed16e26.jpg

Personally, when I first saw the picture a few months back I did a double-take. After a close look, it's clear that it's not Photoshopped. I recall being impressed. Very creative idea. Good job!

My submitted photo was of the Jeep climbing over large "GEO" related volumes at the UMass WEB DuBois Library .... entitled "Getting in Some Heavy Reading at the UMass Library" ... or something like that. When I took the picture I wished I had a GI Joe miniature toy ammo can to "hide" amongst the books. That would have made this pic much better.

8ca1b8e9-7082-4691-a773-641de2413d80.jpg

Congrats GarminArmin!

Matt

P.S. BTW, the Jeep is casting a shadow ... just a smaller one since it has a lower profile. Also notice the shuttle's shadow falls over both the TB tag *AND* the poster. That would have been very difficult to Photoshop. My take: Toys on a poster. :) Fun stuff.

Edit: Added a few more thoughts

Edited by Western_Mass_Clan

As my post states...it LOOKS added.....I can't speak as to what really is...easy killer!!! :) Don't feel threatened by every comment that comes your way. You see, mine was just in passing...my real reason to respond was to ask about the sticker, so I'm thankful you showed that, I can make them myself!! I was wondering where you got it so I could also get one to add to my TB!!!

edit to add: btw...congrats!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Garmin, I'm sorry that I implied that you had cheated. That wasn't my intention. No sour grapes either; I didn't even have an August entry. Besides, if it was a case of sour grapes, the post would have read more like "CHEATER!! CHEATER!! What a bunch of bull!!"

It did look very fake to me, but now that I see how its all done, I must conceed that there is nothing wrong here.

P.S.: What publicity?

Edited by x_Marks_the_spot

Garmin, I'm sorry that I implied that you had cheated. That wasn't my intention. No sour grapes either; I didn't even have an August entry. Besides, if it was a case of sour grapes, the post would have read more like "CHEATER!! CHEATER!! What a bunch of bull!!"

It did look very fake to me, but now that I see how its all done, I must conceed that there is nothing wrong here.

P.S.: What publicity?

x_Marks_the_spot

No worries and no hard feelings here.

We were sure getting full on the popcorn and box drink that Trucker Lee had provided for us all. :huh:

We had received a few inquiries about our entry photo over the past months but not in the public forums.

What publicity you ask? Remember there is one more important huge part of this contest left to go. :huh:

Cache on,

GarminArmin

Edited by GarminArmin