Loading caches onto my GPS

Rockin Roddy

I bought the Magellan Explorist 500LE, have the comp cable. My question is this (and sorry if this has already been asked)...how can I download say 50-100 or more caches from the website to my GPS??

I know how to add them to the GPS, but what I'm talking about is this: I do a search of caches I want to do, it brings up the first 25 in list and has pages below that you can go to (we've all seen this), I check off the ones I want to do, and then load them. How can I load MORE than just that single page so they all come up without having to go into the GPS and change the group of caches I'm looking at??

I bought the Magellan Explorist 500LE, have the comp cable. My question is this (and sorry if this has already been asked)...how can I download say 50-100 or more caches from the website to my GPS??

I know how to add them to the GPS, but what I'm talking about is this: I do a search of caches I want to do, it brings up the first 25 in list and has pages below that you can go to (we've all seen this), I check off the ones I want to do, and then load them. How can I load MORE than just that single page so they all come up without having to go into the GPS and change the group of caches I'm looking at??

Hey, I can answer this one now :lol: Pocket Queries is your answer. In your account page, look at the right hand side for Pocket Queries. From that page, you can customize your queries. You can then have them delivered right to your email in a zip file. Open it up, pay attention to where you save it. Use a program like GSAK or similiar program to create your database. From there, transfer right to your GPS.

Old timers, how did I do for a newbie?

Pocket Queries. Input your criteria, it emails you the file. Load that into your 500 (keep in mind the 500 has a 200 waypoint limit though). Easist to use GSAK to filter your file down to 200 and then export it as a Explorist file and put it on your GPS.

Edited by PlaidPirate

Hey, I can answer this one now :lol: Pocket Queries is your answer. In your account page, look at the right hand side for Pocket Queries. From that page, you can customize your queries. You can then have them delivered right to your email in a zip file. Open it up, pay attention to where you save it. Use a program like GSAK or similiar program to create your database. From there, transfer right to your GPS.

Old timers, how did I do for a newbie?

LOL Pretty good except you do not need to unzip the file if your using GSAK :)

Hey...great! Thanks for the quick responses. I thought of the PQ, I was wondering if that was the only way.

I've seen others are using GSAK...what is it and is there a cost for it?? Is it worth having??

Also...THANKS!! :lol:

GSAK is free, but after a certain time period there is a nag screen to pay for it. It's worth it to me to pay for it. The program simplifies what I need to do so it's easily worth every penny of the $25 fee. In fact, after using it for 150 days, I'm paying the registration fee as I type this.

Edited by jasond

You can also use the geocache manager software that came with your explorist. Unzip the Pocket query, then open the .gpx file using the cache manager, then send to your explorist. Done.

Of course there are some caveats. You can only transfer 200 cache files with comments (read hints and cache data). I usually keep my pocket queries down to 190 caches each.

You can name the resulting file to remind you where the caches are, like: Home, Springfield, DC. The program will then save the file to your SD card (you did put an sd card in your unit, right?) and you can change files there, depending on where you are hunting.

Edited by Jhwk

Hi Rockin Roddy, I have the same GPS unit you have. Are you using Magellan Geocache Manager that came with your unit? That seems to be the answer to loading these units. I tried that GSAK and it doesn't seem to add all the info on to the Mallgellan. Or let me say, if it does I couldn't figure it out. The Magellan software adds in Cache name, Waypoint, Difficulty, Terrain, you can add when it was placed, last found, and a hint. The secret to adding more then one page is, after loading the 1st page on the Magellan software, save the next page you want added, (this can be done using the same file name you used loading the first page) clink open on cache manager, clink one time on the geocache file, then down at the very bottom of the page check the box that says, ”Append to existing file”. This will add to the file. If you don’t check this box it removes the file you were working on and make a new with just the new page. The file can only hold 200 caches per file, but the number of files is limited to memory installed. It makes it cool if your going out of town for a few days. You can create a file called Canada and save all caches you want to do while there without having to lose your at home data.

In some ways it is a pain, some we have been able to basically paperless cache without another unit. If you need more info write me, maybe we can learn this modern stuff together.

Running a PQ GPX file and using GSAK this what your gps should show

cache name

cache ID

owner

type

date placed

last found

diff.

terr.

and hint up to 50 characters (if I remember correctly)

edit to add this should show on the 4-5-600 and prob. the 210 and xl

GSAK does have a learning curve, but the basics are pretty simple

Edited by vagabond

Thanks a lot everyone!! I haven't tried the PQ yet, but that sounds great Trail Bandits!!

We're (Team Rod & Tod) meeting with VictoryMike and Nurse Nanna Friday to discuss a weekend camping/caching event we're planning for late spring!! We plan to do a bunch of Ann Arbor caches after the meeting!

If you use a Mac you'll need additional help. Check out http://chimbisimo.googlepages.com/home.