Is Garmin TOPO GB worth buying?

Dogs Dad

One for UK cachers. I have a Vista CX, I have the full UK copy of memory map. The basemap on the Vista is pretty poor and the thought of having a more detailed map visable on the Vista is appealing to me. I couldn't say I "need" it as I think the memory map is better for planning etc on the PC but I WANT it, primarily for walking so TOPO GB seems the only real option if I have anything at all.

If you've bought it, was it worth it?

Thanks

Personally I'd say yes .. I fing it pretty good .. however ITS A LOT LESS detailed than the OS maps in Memory Map..Sue uses Mem Map on a Dell and I use Topo GB on a 76CSX .. together they work pretty good ...

Have a look at the detail of an area you know on the online system

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ontheTrail/

right hand side top pull down MapSource Map Viewer

This direct link might work

http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapgen/webma...mp;k=1&sc=1

A total waste of money!

I live in the Pembrokeshire National Park and can see how poor it is here[the software]!

Viewing it on the PC is poor as you can only see a small selection.

You cannot print it.

Paths are incomplete and roads difficult to see!

I have it on the 60CSX and the iQue[at least you can hide the contours on the iQue]

strumbleheadwe6.jpg

Viewing it on the PC is poor as you can only see a small selection.

You cannot print it.

??? On Mapsource you should be able to view all areas and print whatever you want. Are you saying Mapsource runs differently with this mapset?

Are you saying Mapsource runs differently with this mapset?

Yes Yes

On the Mapsource I have CityNavigator Europe v8, MetroGuide Europe v8, MetroGuide NA v7 and Garmin Topo UK. [All can be printed except Topo]

The view you get on mapsource on the PC is as shown on the screenshot!

Only that selection 'size' is avilable to view. Nothing is available to print!

You could print a screen shot as I did for the image above - but not print without a screenshot!!!

I have the legal disk unlocked to two units and it is POOR.

You cannot see what is a road and what is a path for all the contours!!

Edited by strumble
One for UK cachers. I have a Vista CX, I have the full UK copy of memory map. The basemap on the Vista is pretty poor and the thought of having a more detailed map visable on the Vista is appealing to me. I couldn't say I "need" it as I think the memory map is better for planning etc on the PC but I WANT it, primarily for walking so TOPO GB seems the only real option if I have anything at all.

If you've bought it, was it worth it?

Thanks

As you already have Memory Map. Why don't you spend a few more £'s and Buy a PDA with built in GPS ?

As you already have Memory Map. Why don't you spend a few more £'s and Buy a PDA with built in GPS ?

Some interesting responses so far, thanks. I think I should clarify that:

- I'm not bothered about printing from topo as I can print nicely using memory map

- Maybe I could have looked at a gps pda but I wanted the ruggedness and functionality of a handheld nav and am pretty happy with that choice so far. I have had several pdas for work and they take a pounding in my work environment and I don't think would last long in the wilds

I guess what I'm really asking is it is worth £125 for topo GB V2 simply to have a better point of reference on the GPS unit itself.

Cheers

Well, I decided to go for Topo GB V2 to see for myself. My first thoughts are:

- there is no contest in terms the "debate" about whether memory map or topo GB is better for planning routes and exporting waypoints and cache details for example on the the PC. Memory Map is light years ahead in terms of what you can do with it and the level of detail you receive. I knew this would be the case though anyway

- unlocking the mapsource topo gb maps and downloading them on to the SD card on my vista cx was a doddle.

- topo gb comes with loads of pre-loaded waypoints including attractions, shops, resteraunts, key geographical points (like pubs or key junctions - the places you generally navigate by) which I wasn't expecting but look really good if you're in unfamiliar territory or looking for ideas for things to do when out and about

- most of out local streets around Preston appear at least in outline BUT not all are named.

- autorouting on roads works ok if you have some common sense BUT it has big limitations as it doesn't know about one way streets, pedestrianised areas etc.

- mapping detail for walking is fine. Ok, not all paths are there but there's enough detail for you to have some comfort in terms of where you are without always having to look at a paper map. Personally, I like to see a bit of detail and was gutted by the base map detail for the vista cx (which I guess is the same for all)

So, is it something you should rush out and buy? Depends on how much money you've got to spend I think. My priorities would be:

- get yourself a gps device

- get yourself memory map (ideally the whole of GB - look on ebay for a real bargain - don't be fooled into thinking like some that you can download these maps to your Garmin, YOU CAN'T! but you can download routes, waypoints etc which is great and then upload once you've been out and do a 3d fly through - cool gimmick!)

- get yourself topo GB when you feel like treating yourself, it's nice but won't change your life! Friends in the US please note that GB mapping software is really expensive compared to what you seem to have access to. eBay is our friend though, but not really for topo gb.

Hope thats helpful to someone