Log length, 4000 caracters not enough?

Thorminator

I just discovered that logs can only contain 4000 caracters,

and the way I see it, this is a bit short.

Having seen WAY to many

TNLN TFTC logs, the Norwegian community started a "Monthly log contest",

with the purpose of making people write better, funnier, and more informative logs.

This has infact helped quite a bit, at least for a larger part of the community.

However, 2 day I discovered that I was limited to 4000 caracters,

and of cource, this was after i wrote a looong log,

with the purpose of pleacing the cache owner, and others, sharing the funny things that happened

while doing the cache.

Any chance it could be increased, just a bit?

Say 5 or 6000?

Any thoughts?

failing that, you can always split it into two logs; you can link them together and that's almost as good.

Why the **** didn't I think of that...? :lol:

Well, I guess it would be even better, having no limitation at all.

But aaanyyyhooo...

Is any chacnge likely to be done?

Not really

I'm not the final word on this of course, but...

I'd think that increasing the log size would not really "add" anything to the site.

Most people use the logs to get a quick idea of any hazards/obstacles that a person might have encountered while searching for that cache. If people were to start writing novels, I don't think the content will actually get read.

But I for sure, am not the cute poster child for how a log should be written.

-Raine

How do you link logs?

You can post your entry as two separate logs, then within a few minutes, grab the URLs to both logs and paste them at the top and bottom of the other log. It would look something like:

log 1:

rambling log text...

(entry continues in other log (visit link))

log 2:

(entry continued from (visit link))

...continue rambling log text.

I've almost never run into the length limit, but I did have a pretty wordy log recently that maxed out the size. I had to trim it down, and it actually appears that the maximum length is more like 3,970 characters (unless Word and the word count feature on the email a player page calculate word count differently).

Not really

Short succinct answer. Why 'not really'? An explanation why it can't be done would be better.

Not really <_<

It's not that it can't be done. The reality is it probably won't be done - at least in the short term. 4,000 word logs are sufficient for the majority of users and if not there is a good option for chapter 2 - create another log as a note.

How do you link logs?

You can post your entry as two separate logs, then within a few minutes, grab the URLs to both logs and paste them at the top and bottom of the other log. It would look something like:

<snip>

I've almost never run into the length limit, but I did have a pretty wordy log recently that maxed out the size. I had to trim it down, and it actually appears that the maximum length is more like 3,970 characters (unless Word and the word count feature on the email a player page calculate word count differently).

AH! Got it - thanks for that.

It's not that it can't be done. The reality is it probably won't be done - at least in the short term. 4,000 word logs are sufficient for the majority of users and if not there is a good option for chapter 2 - create another log as a note.

I just generated 4000 words of some generic lorem ipsum text and pasted it into a new Word doc. All default settings for borders and fonts and stuff ... it's over 8 pages long! I would suggest not just using a second post as a note, but maybe start a blog ... the database we all want to keep up and running needs to store this stuff and be maintained. I vote we leave room on the servers for more caches.

I second what Scouting has to say about creating a blog. That would let you get a little more creative in formatting the text and photos than you could in your geocaching.com log. In your gc.com log you could write the essentials and provide a link to your blog. That way, if anyone wanted to read more, they could.

not 4000 words ----> 4000 characters --- right??

...It's not that it can't be done. The reality is it probably won't be done - at least in the short term. 4,000 word logs are sufficient for the majority of users and if not there is a good option for chapter 2 - create another log as a note.

Agreed. I'm wordy, but seldom hit 4000 characters. When I do the Find/Note solution works just fine.

not 4000 words ----> 4000 characters --- right??

Right. Oops. 4000 characters.

Or 4000 words if they are all "I" with no spaces.

A long log does not necessarily equal a good log, nor a short log a bad one. :rolleyes:

Of cource, your right.

I've never before been even close to maxing the limit.

However, this one time, I had an experiance and just had to tell the story.

(It's in Norwegian if anybody wondered, sorry)

But I did as suggested, and posted the bottom half as a note, and the second one as a Found.

But thanx for answering people! :blink:

failing that, you can always split it into two logs; you can link them together and that's almost as good.

How do you link logs?

write one log. enter it and then scroll down to your log on the cache page. be sure to "view it on separate page". take that url and paste it in your second log:

text of first log blah blah blah and then linking text

--

second log

linking text rest of story blah blah blah.

it's not as complicated as it sounds, but make sure you refresh the entry, because if you give the url to the page that says post or edit a cache log, it will not link you your log, but to the cache page.

here's an example of one of my linked logs:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...b6-64ed54928a94