Top Caching ?

Kryten

I keep a watch on one of my favourite archived caches in case it should ever re-appear so may I offer my congratulations to xxxx and yyyy for interrupting their busy day caching in California to briefly pop over to Scotland to visit an archived cache. More impressive still was their ability to find the cache despite the fact that though the physical data required to solve the puzzle no longer exists. Finally their log entry recording "wonderful but cool weather" on a day when we here in Scotland actually experienced 100mph winds, driving rain, and temperatures only a few degrees above freezing leaves me grinning from ear to ear, top caching guys. Should I name and shame ?

I keep a watch on one of my favourite archived caches in case it should ever re-appear so may I offer my congratulations to xxxx and yyyy for interrupting their busy day caching in California to briefly pop over to Scotland to visit an archived cache. More impressive still was their ability to find the cache despite the fact that though the physical data required to solve the puzzle no longer exists. Finally their log entry recording "wonderful but cool weather" on a day when we here in Scotland actually experienced 100mph winds, driving rain, and temperatures only a few degrees above freezing leaves me grinning from ear to ear, top caching guys. Should I name and shame ?

Name and shame?

Surely you mean Name and Fame!

Oss!

No need to name the cachers, but if you let slip which cache it is folks could make their own minds up...

Could be an innocent mistake of course. I had one of my caches logged in error because it had a similar name to one elsewhere. Classic Newbie c'up?

One log could be a mistake but two logs on the same day, each mentioning the other and both from cachers with scores in excess of 1000

I have seen this type of thing happen before with one of my caches. It turned out that the person was using the name of the cache to search for it, and submitting their log to the wrong cache that came up on the search.

they told me what they entered and it turned up my cache, and despite maybe a slight typo it was very similar to the other cache that they actually wanted.

It was similar to the OP's in that it was winter and they said it was nice weather and they had logged other caches in the US the same day. But two in the one day is quite suspicious??

Not suspicious at all. When I go caching with somebody else and they log first, I generally use the list of finds on their profile to locate the caches I have to log. If these guys were doing the same, then the second person could inherit the mistake from his companion. If they are using the Greasemonkey script which has a link direct to the logging page from the cache list, they would never even see the cache details if they were going if from their friend's recent finds list.

I'd send a friendly mail to the cacher regarding the possible mistake, then forget about it - I did this last year to a newbie, he didn't correct his mistake or reply back to me but he now regularly out in the area caching.

On the subject of Archived caches, couple of weeks back I intentional went out looking for a cache that had been archived 8 months previously - found it straight away in excellent condition plus someone else had written in the log 2 days previously about their find.