SHOULD I OR SHOULDN'T I?

ikeamy

My husband and I got a GPS for Christmas. In our excitement we went ahead and signed up for an account together. Now we have been thinking about changing our username and I was wondering if I should go ahead and set up diffrent accounts. Most of the time my husband and I will be caching together, but there may be some instances that I would find a cache by myself (or vice versa) that he wouldn't find. I am just a little torn about the whole situation because it doesn't seem like an easy process. What do you guys think? :laughing:

If you are going to do it - now would be the time. The more finds you total up, it will be harder to go back and log those under your new account name(s). There is no automatic way anymore to change your name.

My wife and I use the same account but as it turns out - I either find them alone(30%) or she is with me(70%). She has never gone off and done one all on her own. I can understand wanting separate accounts. Up to you.

I sort of have two. I have a personal one and a "team" account with my brother, boyfriend and whoever else joins in. If I go caching by myself, I log it on my account, if I go with someone else, I log it in both places. I'm new so I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do,but it works fine for me.

My wife and I are kind of in the same boat.

When we signed up last June we didn't use a whole heckuva lot of imagination, and signed up as KRISANDMEL.

Descriptive, yes.

Creative, uh, not so much. :ph34r:

Plus, I get out there a lot more than my wife does, so some might see it as deceptive if I'm signing paper and computer logs as KRISANDMEL if it's only me.

But we've decided, who cares?

We're not competing against other cachers, or each other, so we don't need two accounts or anything like that.

Plus, we're not both gonna pay $30 a year, so one account would be premium and one not.

Sure, still kinda wish we had a flashy name, but again, not gonna worry about it.

Too much else to worry about in this world, and in the little spare time there is available I/we would rather get out and do some 'caching than fret about how we're logging things.

To each his/her own.

Just sharing what we did, or rather, didn't do. :laughing:

~K

You can just leave it the way it is and consider it a team account where if one of the members of the team finds a cache, then it gets logged by the team.

It totally depends on what you want to do. If you want to say that you personally visited all of the caches that you have logged then you may want to make seperate accounts. I think that you should keep the current account that you have now and make that one belong to one or the other, and just set up one more account for the one who doesn't claim the current.

I'd suggest you set up your own individual userIDs. You may get to the stage where you want to track how many you have done individually, and that may get difficult if you're doing some different caches. When you place a cache of your own, you can always do it jointly (both userIDs)

My wife and I did our first 100+ caches together, but since then she's only done about 20% of them with me. I now consider the caches under our userID as mine, and would never quite feel complete if she did a cache without me (hasn't happened yet).

We opted for separate accounts, even though we usually cache together. That way, we can both tell the tale (I like that as a cache owner). It also helps keep track of caches that one of us has seen but not the other one, which is a really great reminder when you find a fun or interesting cache that you particularly want to take the other person to see later.

We started out as a family of four with one account. After 2 months I decided to give us all seperate accounts (my husband kept our original name).

I'm not really sure why I did it, I just kinda had a feeling that we should have individual identities, me especially. I reasoned that perhaps we would be finding caches seperately, and the kids could have a memory of where they'd been and someday if the kept caching as they got older they would be able to have their own account to use.

It's funny, because now I'm the one that is heavily into geocaching, and have taken whole geocaching trips without my husband. I have placed lots of caches on my own and gone to many caches that my husband has not. My 9 year old son has placed caches without me, and one of them I still haven't found yet! :) That feels weird to me.

The forums are another reason that I'm glad that we made seperate accounts. I see couples who share accounts putting their name at the bottom of a post to show which one is which, and that can be tedious and also confusing to others if both of the couple write in the forums. I'm Ambrosia! If I was still part of the name All41, it would feel weird to me and be confusing meeting people in person that I know from the forums. My husband also has the opportunity to post seperately in the forums.

I see that you've made your decision, but I wanted to share a bit about what we did.

Edited by Ambrosia

I wish I could have this problem, My other half has found TWO caches of the 600+ I have done and would rather stick hot pins in her eyes :)

I'm sorry to hear that. By the looks of your pictures on your profile seems like Jake keeps you company. Jake is one cute dog!!! :)

Edited by ikeamy