gps tracker by garmin coming

Not sure if this is old news but our outdoor section of the newspaper had this article today. Garmin is going to market a tracking device small in nature for about 5 miles range, so you can locate your lost pet.

I have seen the tracking devices the huntters use, they are rather bulky and only send you back a tone,

curious if anyone has any info on what garmin will market along this line

It will be a great help for poachers. Just get a dog or pack of dog able to corner a game and it makes thing easy.

As such, this kind of equipment is already forbidden by law to use while hunting in a few EU state.

OK for a pet dog, but I wouldn't care for a dog not able to find its way back home ! :anicute:

Yes it's called the Garmin Astro and here is the link to it...

http://www.garmin.com/products/astro/

thats the item they discussed, we hunt and train a few dogs, lots of deer around and its not unusal for a late hunt to go sour and then a dog left overnight has a chance of being caught by a pack of coyotes, especialy our smaller beagels.

I realize if he runs a deer hes no good but i got to get him back to who left him to train lol.

Suscrofa poachers can't use dogs, everyone in the country would know also the law would get the signal too, have you ever been in the woods w/ a dog tha was worth $2500 and you spent a lifetime breeding??...Don

Hi,please to meet a hunter here ! :laughing:

Although regular hunting dogs used for drive hunting are usualy not worth that, we use special dogs trained to track wounded animals and they cost that much (special breed and extensive training). If lost, we just let either the blanket they use or even coat of the owner were we started the trail. The next day the dog is back to it. Of course we do not have coyote. Note I use my 60CX in these search so I can find the easiest way out once we recover the animal and to plot the track as it helps understand a wounded animal behavior. It is amazing how ar they can go even with deadly wound. Boar and red deer are realy tough.

OK hunting practice (and poaching !) are different. I started to hunt in the US by te way.

For small game hunting dogs, usually expensive yes, a bell is nicer than a high tech gear !

Besides, the extra weight of this equipment could be a burden.

For hunting, we have to restrict our use of technology so the fun of the chase is preserved. Hunting is not a war against game isn't ?

Edited by Suscrofa