Earthcaches

kurchian

I have been surprised to see several negative logs posted by caches on earthcache sites that have been closed down becuase they didn't meet the earthcache guidleines for education. Frankly, if there was no requirement for "finding" an earthcache they might as well be called virtual caches as all you have to do is say you were there and answer an easy question.

I find that I am in disagreement with those who criticize the Earth Cache educational guidelines. These guidelines don't prevent visits to the area nor do they discourage enjoing the area.

However, to log an official visit as an earthcache one must learn something about the area. Kudos to the rulemakers. I believe that in order to assist in the protection of these natural resources we need to be better educated.

ALL caches contain a "challenge" of sorts before one has the right to "claim" the cache as found. Traditional caches require that we find the cache via coordinates. Puzzle caches require that we solve a puzzle. Virtuals require that we answer a question to prove our find. So, what is wrong with learning something as a prequisite to claiming an earthcache find?

Edited by kurchian

I empathize with you.

I don't think the problem is really so much the requirement to have en educational activity as it is a reaction to the need for any additional requirement. People just don't like change. Earthcaches used to be noting more than virtual caches--you went there, took a photo and staked your claim.

I have a couple of Earthcaches and have helped others design a few more. The educational requirement doesn't have to be anything difficult (although it can be). It only needs to encourage visitors to walk away with something more than they came there with.

Some I can think of off the top of my head:

1) Identify a fossil found there using a handy link or set of photos provided (and realize that the mountain you are standing on was once under the ocean!)

2) estimate the height of a waterfall and speculate how long it must have taken it to form if the rock erodes away at .2 inches a year

3) compare the compositition of one layer of rocks with a second layer (and realize that the area has been a sandy beach, under ocean water, a swamp, etc at various time)

I also think that some people are surprised to be asked to revamp their cache, and not sure what kind of activity would meet the requirements. Many of us with Earthcaches would be happy to help with suggestions for anyone that is stumped for ideas.

Edited by Neos2

I have seen a couple of the referenced negative logs on a couple of archived earthcaches. I was disappointed that the owner was making a conscious decision to let them be archived. They were in great locations. I sent messages offering to help update them or adopt them if they didn't want to be bothered. I got no response at all.

I've been getting more visits to the earthcaches now they are on geocaching. I've also been pleasantly surprised at how much thought and investigation the majority of the confirmation e-mails go into. I would say that the educational requirement is effective.

Edited by TerryDad2

I have been surprised to see several negative logs posted by caches on earthcache sites that have been closed down becuase they didn't meet the earthcache guidleines for education. Frankly, if there was no requirement for "finding" an earthcache they might as well be called virtual caches as all you have to do is say you were there and answer an easy question....

They are virtuals. They just have a theme.

Didn't anyone ever warn you not to get the dolphin started?!?

Okay. I've done four earthcaches. Three before the change over and one since.

One was spectacular and very educational! (And took us two days to do, and several hundred miles of driving!) I highly recommend "Rock In" Down The Highway Earthcache . This is what I came to expect earthcaches to be!

One was archived as not meeting the guidelines. (It was a cheap virtual, and of little interest.) One was approved, disapproved, and reapproved after a change in requirement. Oh, well. Mildly interesting.

The last was one of the new 'educational' earthcaches. It was very disappointing as an earthcache. Perhaps if I had an advanced degree in geology, it might have meant something to me. But I don't, so it was completely lost on me. The Palisades is a spectacular place to hike, don't get me wrong. But I don't know a trilobite from a xenolith. Measuring the height of a cliff with a hand-held GPS is an exercise in futility. My GPS is not accurate next to cliffs to start with. I had a pretty good idea what the answer was, and my GPS was only off by 200'. And, so, we answered the question asked, with dismal accuracy! I already know the difference between precision and accuracy. (Perhpas that is the lesson that should have been taught here???) There is so much that could have been taught at this site, but the lecture in doctoral thesis geology was far over my head. Oh, well. I enjoyed the hike.

Oddly, I have a multi cache that I could have put out as an Earthcache! And, someday, I shall attempt to put an Earthcache in the area! It's a great area, with a lot to be learnt. But how far apart do waypoints of a multi, and waypoints of an earthcache have to be?

The new earthcache guidelines are indeed quite a learning experience for me. For example, after trying to understand a few of TerryDad2's earthcache descriptions, I concluded I'm simply not cut out to ever understand geology. :laughing:

The other option is that I just didn't explain them well enough. :ph34r:

I LOVE Earthcaches and I love the fact that there is the educational requirement. I am an electrical engineer by trade and I had NO idea how many different Earth features there were in the Midwest. I've lived here all my life and I just thought it was a flat area filled with rivers, lakes and corn fields. These Earthcaches have proved me wrong and I learn something completely different everytime I do them.

Another thing to keep in mind is that our hobby is VERY diverse. We need both the hard caches (Earthcache or traditional) and the easy caches. Variety is the spice of life!!

I think that disabling many earthcaches is a misunderstanding, as fewer people will visit these places. <_< Herbey the education aspect is totally missed. Who is anyway to judge what an educational experience I got only by visiting the place, and not solving some dumb assignment? Furthermore the rules for re-enabling the caches are so unspecific, and no examples are provided, and not always adhered to.

I also strongly oppose to the fact that the Geological Society of America should provide overall ownership or approval competence for these caches, as local organisations could provide this in an easier manner, and with local support to the cacheowners. You do not owe the World! :(

The third thing I wonder about, is why enabling some earthcaches and not the possibilities to open new ones ? Not consequent!

I propose that people seeks archived caches and log them anyway, as this is possible with archived caches. This way is the only way to express our disapproval of rules superimposed on us.

The new earthcache guidelines are indeed quite a learning experience for me. For example, after trying to understand a few of TerryDad2's earthcache descriptions, I concluded I'm simply not cut out to ever understand geology. :blink:

The other option is that I just didn't explain them well enough. :rolleyes:

Geology is one of those college classes that proves to be hard for a lot of people. That's probably worth keeping in mind when writing them up.

I personally don't care much for Earthcaches Unless they are located in areas where physical caches are not allowed. A good cacher can easily hide a real cache at most Earthcache locations and make them just as interesting. In my opinion most earthcaches are an excuse not to hide and maintain a physical cache.

I'd rather sign a logbook than have to send an earthcache owner an email like this "comparing the vegitation at the top of the mountain and the vegitation down in the valley and the possible reasons for the difference."

I personally don't care much for Earthcaches Unless they are located in areas where physical caches are not allowed. A good cacher can easily hide a real cache at most Earthcache locations and make them just as interesting. In my opinion most earthcaches are an excuse not to hide and maintain a physical cache....

Oddly enough today I learned that someone had made an earth cache out of my Joint Venture at Crater Rings cache. Now you can do both.

I personally don't care much for Earthcaches Unless they are located in areas where physical caches are not allowed. A good cacher can easily hide a real cache at most Earthcache locations and make them just as interesting. In my opinion most earthcaches are an excuse not to hide and maintain a physical cache.

I'd rather sign a logbook than have to send an earthcache owner an email like this "comparing the vegitation at the top of the mountain and the vegitation down in the valley and the possible reasons for the difference."

I can see why you might see it that way, if finding a traditional cache is the most important thing on your agenda. Luckily, having an Earthcache in a location does not prevent a traditional cache from also being placed in the same area, if a traditional cache it's permitted there.

On the other hand. Earthcaches can't be placed "just anywhere"--there has to be some geologic significance to the spot in order to qualify for an Earthcache. Merely having the site listed as an Earthcache denotes the area as geologically significant and makes me want to know more.

And many Earthcaches are placed in areas where traditional caches would not be allowed--such as Nature Preserves. For me, geocaching is as much about location as anything else. Having the GSA doing the approving validates the geologic significance. Their stamp of approval on the Earthcache says the site itself has some interest above and beyond being a spot where you can plop down an ammo can.

Many folks who would balk at the idea of having to do something extra to earn a smilie for a cache don't mind learning a bit about the geology of an area to earn an earthcache smilie--and to work toward their Earthcache master pins. While the example you give isn't very exciting, it is realistic and practical knowledge. Just as not all caches are exceptionally great, not all educational acitivities are exceptionally exciting. The Earthcaches are still evolving from their move back to gc; I feel sure the activities will continue to improve over time.

And finally, it gets said often enough about every other cache type--Not all caches are for everybody. I tend to ignore multi-caches, and can rarely solve puzzle caches, but I love Earthcaches, and can't get enough of them. It really does take all kinds!

I can see why you might see it that way, if finding a traditional cache is the most important thing on your agenda. Luckily, having an Earthcache in a location does not prevent a traditional cache from also being placed in the same area, if a traditional cache it's permitted there.

I'm glad this is the case.

On the other hand. Earthcaches can't be placed "just anywhere"--there has to be some geologic significance to the spot in order to qualify for an Earthcache. Merely having the site listed as an Earthcache denotes the area as geologically significant and makes me want to know more.

Like the Beach Sand movement earthcache or aSuperfund site

And many Earthcaches are placed in areas where traditional caches would not be allowed--such as Nature Preserves. For me, geocaching is as much about location as anything else. Having the GSA doing the approving validates the geologic significance. Their stamp of approval on the Earthcache says the site itself has some interest above and beyond being a spot where you can plop down an ammo can.

I'm all for Earthcaches, and Virtuals in locations like these, but I still think it's kind of silly to place an earthcache in a location that already has a dozen geocaches.

Many folks who would balk at the idea of having to do something extra to earn a smilie for a cache don't mind learning a bit about the geology of an area to earn an earthcache smilie--and to work toward their Earthcache master pins. While the example you give isn't very exciting, it is realistic and practical knowledge. Just as not all caches are exceptionally great, not all educational acitivities are exceptionally exciting. The Earthcaches are still evolving from their move back to gc; I feel sure the activities will continue to improve over time.

I don't mind the extra activity to find a cache, thats why I like high terrain, physically demanding caches. :blink:

And finally, it gets said often enough about every other cache type--Not all caches are for everybody. I tend to ignore multi-caches, and can rarely solve puzzle caches, but I love Earthcaches, and can't get enough of them. It really does take all kinds!

Most multi caches that I have found make no sense as to why they are multis, and not traditional caches. I prefer multis that take you to an interesting marker, scenic point, etc en route to the final cache.

I'm glad this is the case.

Like the Beach Sand movement earthcache or aSuperfund site

Thanks for the two links. I can certainly use these in my Earth Space classes and Biology classes later this year. Another really cool thing I forgot to mention about Earthcaches is that I can use them as a means for my students to "virtually visit" formations that we don't have here in southern Indiana.

No beaches here, so it's hard to get the kiddos to understand how sand dunes form barriers to protect shoreline plants from the destructive forces of open water, why they shift so slowly if they are "just" sand, and why you shouldn't walk over them when you do go somewhere with a beach.

Likewise the superfund site. Well, unfortunately, we do have some of those here, but the explanation of how these are field tested is excellent.

Just the cache pages are great teaching tools--I get maps, descriptions, photos, coordinates, and the comments of previous visitors. I particularly like to have my students view Earthcaches that include photographs (Y'all hear that? Put lots of photos on your finds, please, to help out the kids!). It helps the kids because they get tired of listening to just me talk about these science things, and everyone knows that today's youth are more attuned to learning from the Internet than from books.

If you pointed those out as examples of things that are common and ordinary, well, perhaps you just aren't as keen about Earth processes as I am--and that is OK. I can even empathize. Just please don't suggest that because Earthcaches aren't of value to you personally they have no value. Many of us appreciate them deeply and are very glad to see them back where they are and growing in number and quality.

I also strongly oppose to the fact that the Geological Society of America should provide overall ownership or approval competence for these caches, as local organisations could provide this in an easier manner, and with local support to the cacheowners. You do not owe the World! :P

Earthcaches are reviewed by a bloke in Australia. Stop the Oppression from Down Under! :ph34r:

The third thing I wonder about, is why enabling some earthcaches and not the possibilities to open new ones ? Not consequent!

It's now possible to submit new earthcaches again. The listing guidelines are a bit behind the times.

I propose that people seeks archived caches and log them anyway, as this is possible with archived caches. This way is the only way to express our disapproval of rules superimposed on us.

It's also a good way to get a listing locked, preventing any new logs. A more constructive means of expressing your disapproval would be to write to Groundspeak and the GSA, asking for the return of earthcaches with little or no educational content and/or verification requirements.

If you pointed those out as examples of things that are common and ordinary, well, perhaps you just aren't as keen about Earth processes as I am--and that is OK. I can even empathize. Just please don't suggest that because Earthcaches aren't of value to you personally they have no value. Many of us appreciate them deeply and are very glad to see them back where they are and growing in number and quality.

I'm actually facinated with geology and the power of earth. My 90th place cache was hidden in a "spectacular" example of earth's upheaval. The difference is that I prefer to place and find physical containers.

Most of Terrysdad's earthcaches are quite interesting from a geological perspective. :ph34r:

I'm actually facinated with geology and the power of earth. My 90th place cache was hidden in a "spectacular" example of earth's upheaval. The difference is that I prefer to place and find physical containers.

Most of Terrysdad's earthcaches are quite interesting from a geological perspective. :ph34r:

I've been meaning to get up to that park to see the area. Your cache is yet another reason to head up there (and power cache). It sounds like that cache is the kind that my daughter and I would love. Those tiny little nanos hidden 0.1 mile apart just have no appeal to me.

Many of my earthcaches were set up while looking for the traditionals hidden close by (Sandstone Canyon – Anza Borrego SP and The Basilisk for example). The traditional cache pages didn't have the geologic background. The earthcache adds to the experience, should anyone be interested and can be ignored if that's not what they want to do. It's all up to the cacher. No one is forcing anyone to find earthcaches and from what I understand can be ignored if their presence in queries offends anyone.